Alarm goes off randomly

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johntaves

My 2011 Leaf is unlocked and in the garage. The alarm sounds off randomly, with headlights flashing. It stops after a 5-20 beeps. The FOBs are sitting on the counter.

I replaced the 12v battery. The problem still occurs.

I checked when the alarm is blaring, and the doors are unlocked.

What else can I check?

Thanks for any help.

jt

Tire pressures, but the car would need to be in the ON state.

Otherwise, the car alarm could be armed but that shouldn't happen if the car is unlocked.

Any strong radio signals in your area?

An intermittant short in the panic button of one of the fobs?

A mischievous person in your house?

Possibly a bad/weak 12v battery??
Just a WAG but I've read stories here about weird things happening when the 12v battery was just about to go....

I pulled the battery out of one of the FOBs and have not had an alarm for several days now. That FOB seems to work properly other than setting off the alarm.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Is the alarm button on that FOB sticking somehow?
It does not seem to. The little black button inside feels correct.

However, I have snapped it back together taking care to put the board into the half that has the buttons so that I am sure that the little black button is sitting properly in the button hole, then I snapped the half with the battery together.

It has been several weeks without an alarm, so I think it must have been poorly snapped together. How that results in a random alarm is beyond me. You'd think it would be pressed or not pressed resulting in the alarm constantly going off.

jt

Having the fob taken apart like that gives you an excellent opportunity to grab the panic button with a pair of pliers and gently rip it off the circuit board. That's fixed the problem wonderfully well for me..

Levenkay said:
Having the fob taken apart like that gives you an excellent opportunity to grab the panic button with a pair of pliers and gently rip it off the circuit board. That's fixed the problem wonderfully well for me..

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Levenkay said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Definitely on my to do list ;)

ElectricEddy said:
Definitely on my to do list ;)

I should disclaim that literally ripping the button off might damage other traces on the circuit board, so use some commonsense with the procedure ( the anecdotes of idiots actually following internet-posted advice on how to retrofit an earphone port into their new iPhone by boring a hole in it with a drill press are still fresh in mind ).

In my case, I was intending to melt the dome-switches' connections with a soldering iron while gently pulling on its case, but that case was so fragile (overheated during manufacture?) that it crumbled to bits as soon as I barely grasped it with tweezers, and I wound up not needing to heat anything after all. But that was probably an unusual circumstance. Figure on properly de-soldering it if your dome switch is reasonably rugged.

After many days of silence, the alarm blasted away again last night, so the FOB is not fixed. I've removed the battery and will wait many weeks this time to conclude that for sure it is the one FOB.

Back