Power supply for a dash camera

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I would think the 12 volt for the power port would be easier to get to and splice to. The dash cams I've seen used a mini-USB port for power, and if yours does you can just use a 12v power port to USB adapter with a USB cable.

On a side note, make sure the cable for the camera has a ferrite core or else does something to reduce any RF. I used a generic USB cable and it actually interfered with the TPMS, causing the TPMS warning light to come on.

I took it from the rear view mirror. I also recommend this clamp.

http://www.amazon.com/AmorTek-SnakeMount-Mirror-Different-Suitable/dp/B0102CK1BS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448144990&sr=8-2&keywords=Dash+cam+mount

Phatcat73 said:
I took it from the rear view mirror. I also recommend this clamp.

http://www.amazon.com/AmorTek-SnakeMount-Mirror-Different-Suitable/dp/B0102CK1BS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448144990&sr=8-2&keywords=Dash+cam+mount

Sent you a PM, but now that I have seen how to respond to your reply..how did you do this?

Do you have any pictures of the process or the finished installation?

Would be helpful, if so, to have them on this posting.

Thanks.

IIRC, I followed the instructions here to get access: link
Then figured out how to lower the whole plastic part. That gave me access to the wires. I figured out which wires supplied +5v, then waited to see which one no longer supplied +5v after leaving the door open for >10 minutes. That's the supply you want.

Am I missing the obvious? There is a cigarette lighter accessory cable that plugs into the cigarette lighter and doubles the plug into two female 12v plugs... This one would be the best because the cigarette lighter has the biggest fuse (I think 15 amp) to handle a bigger drain than other places. PLUS - You do not have to disassemble or cut anything.... (SOMETHING I HATE TO DO ON ANY CAR). VERY IMPORTANT>>> You have to make sure that this double plug cable is rated for higher amps. I bought a cheap plug doubler or tripler, and the wimpy wires were only for about 5 amps, and the adapter got fried with a high drain... For example, I have a plug-in electric blanket, and it uses a bit of amperage, while a phone charger or camera uses very little.

garsh said:
IIRC, I followed the instructions here to get access: link
Then figured out how to lower the whole plastic part. That gave me access to the wires. I figured out which wires supplied +5v, then waited to see which one no longer supplied +5v after leaving the door open for >10 minutes. That's the supply you want.

I like this idea. How long have you been running power from here for a cam?

Well, If you don't want to clutter up the dashboard or the cigarette lighter, then really go for it...

I use a high drain electric blanket in the winter to save on using the heater/ ac that covers both driver and front passengers. I would also like to have a plug for a second electric blanket for the rear passengers..

SO, I am going to wire a good gauge wire directly from the battery with a 20 amp inline fuse. I will route it through the firewall, under the center of the carpet (or above) so that there will be a strong 12v outlet for the rear. With a dedicated 12 v line from the battery (with fuse), you could do anything....

powersurge said:
I use a high drain electric blanket in the winter to save on using the heater/ ac that covers both driver and front passengers. I would also like to have a plug for a second electric blanket for the rear passengers..

SO, I am going to wire a good gauge wire directly from the battery with a 20 amp inline fuse. I will route it through the firewall, under the center of the carpet (or above) so that there will be a strong 12v outlet for the rear. With a dedicated 12 v line from the battery (with fuse), you could do anything....

Ditto on this! I'm planning to wire up a 12v outlet to the rear seats as well too. Will be nice for my kids to have a electric blanket back there. Surprised Nissan didn't add a rear seat outlet from the factory.

Over three years now.

I got sideswiped shortly after getting my Leaf. I was too flustered to get a plate number, so decided to get one after that.

powersurge said:
Am I missing the obvious? There is a cigarette lighter accessory cable that plugs into the cigarette lighter and doubles the plug into two female 12v plugs... This one would be the best because the cigarette lighter has the biggest fuse (I think 15 amp) to handle a bigger drain than other places. PLUS - You do not have to disassemble or cut anything.... (SOMETHING I HATE TO DO ON ANY CAR). VERY IMPORTANT>>> You have to make sure that this double plug cable is rated for higher amps. I bought a cheap plug doubler or tripler, and the wimpy wires were only for about 5 amps, and the adapter got fried with a high drain... For example, I have a plug-in electric blanket, and it uses a bit of amperage, while a phone charger or camera uses very little.

Well..not being a smoker and having had no need for a cigarette lighter outlet..and looking around and not seeing one anywhere in my'13 SL..I started this thread..Yesterday I found an outlet on the wall behind underside of the bottom of the front panel!!

Problem solved, but that leaves me with one question. Why would one want 5 volt supply? The unit I am think ing about buying has a 12 v power cord and it can also be energized via USB cable. Am I to assume if one supplies the power via a USB cable the unit will run on 5 volts or is there a 12 volt supply also in the wires leading to rear view mirror?

greengate said:
powersurge said:

Well..not being a smoker and having had no need for a cigarette lighter outlet..and looking around and not seeing one anywhere in my'13 SL..I started this thread..Yesterday I found an outlet on the wall behind underside of the bottom of the front panel!!

Problem solved, but that leaves me with one question. Why would one want 5 volt supply? The unit I am think ing about buying has a 12 v power cord and it can also be energized via USB cable. Am I to assume if one supplies the power via a USB cable the unit will run on 5 volts or is there a 12 volt supply also in the wires leading to rear view mirror?

I did not mean that the cigarette lighter plug has 5 volts... The actual cigarette lighter plug is rated for high loads to be connected to it, like an actual cigarette lighter plug (that glows), an electric blanket, or tire inflator pump. Even though the car cigarette lighter is strong enough to power these things (12-15 AMPS fuse), If you buy a cheap adapter cord (that gives you multiple cigarette lighter plugs, and / or USB plugs), the thin wire (with 2-5 AMP maximum) adapter will heat and melt, and you will trash that accessory adapter (in seconds) if you plug in a high drain item. So in answer to your question, any plug with the cigarette-lighter-looking plug is 12 volts. An adapter plugged into the 12 volt plug that gives you a USB plug, for example, will lower the voltage to 5 volts coming out of the USB.

Back