Passenger air bag off, with a passenger.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertDenizen

I have only had my Leaf for 6 weeks or so, and maybe just didn't notice before, but today with my wife in the passenger seat the Air Bag Off light was lit up for her seat. Maybe my Leaf doesn't like my wife...

There is a recall for a bad seat sensor setting that they fix with a software change. Your car probably needs it. Also, if your wife weighs less than 100lbs, the sensor may be working properly, but deciding she is a child.

LeftieBiker said:
There is a recall for a bad seat sensor setting that they fix with a software change. Your car probably needs it. Also, if your wife weighs less than 100lbs, the sensor may be working properly, but deciding she is a child.

She is 4'11" and weighs 88 pounds. If that is the issue they should have an over ride function.
I think I would have noticed it before and this is a new development. I just got the car back from the dealer for minor collision repair. I wonder if the collision, or something the dealer did during the repair, is the culprit.

I had that problem in my Prius after my heavy boss rode with me over to Tampa. They just needed to go through the calibration sequence again, with the Toyota equivalent of the Consult III.

There actually is a weight line for air bags to not deploy as it can cause damage to people that are not heavy enough. The air bag ends up like a brick wall to kids for example. Other than getting the sensor checked. You wife may not weigh enough to benefit from it. Always wear seatbelts. ;)

Also (especially if you get it fixed to activate with her) make sure she sits well away from the airbag unit. Her seat shouldn't be in the far forward position.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the airbag being off. Especially if your wife is so small. It's much more likely to harm her than help in an accident.

pkulak said:
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the airbag being off. Especially if your wife is so small. It's much more likely to harm her than help in an accident.

Thank you all for your comments. I think it best she just keeps using her seat belt. Not only is she small she has a tiny frame and it would likely cause damage. She cannot even get a watch that fits, her wrists are so thin.

Am I the only one thinking this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyb-oKmE2Ic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(No offense intended, of course, I'm just a huge 30 Rock fan. :D )

Back