Stability control over active? TPMS issue? New tires.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidcary

So I have 18k miles. I drive a little spirited so I replaced my front Ecopias 2 weeks ago - I had never rotated. I got the replacement Ecopias which I believe are a different spec and the new were put on the back. I've been driving a little more gingerly the last month or so - happy to see >5 mi/kwh. Didn't want the new tires to put me under.

I am a 40 psi guy and soon after the new tires, my car cut out on the on ramp with 2 buzzes each lasting 1 sec which felt like DSC. I've felt that just a few times over the last 1.5 years but I don't think ever this hard/aggressive. So my first thought is they lowered the air pressure. I upped the pressure a few days ago - but they weren't below 32.

Yesterday I felt that same tugging (a little unnerving) 3 times in 30 mile RT commute - I did drop my efficiency to 4.7 - it was a busy day and I was rushing around.

When I got the tires, they checked the alignment and it was fine. It was free and they made no adjustments.

I recently (4 weeks ago?) got a new PDM and had everything reset and also a software update.

But yesterday was bad (but I was being a little spirited...). Dry conditions, ambient higher than the last 2 weeks at 82. I just checked tire pressures and they are all 38-40. I hooked Leafspy up and it isn't recording tire pressures - just NA.

So related or not - do I need something to get TPMS reset? The tire shop didn't mention it. Or is it just reading NA for another reason?

Any issues with the DSC? Any software updates? Is it time to give my wife the Leaf and buy a Tesla???

davidcary said:
I just checked tire pressures and they are all 38-40. I hooked Leafspy up and it isn't recording tire pressures - just NA.

So related or not - do I need something to get TPMS reset? The tire shop didn't mention it. Or is it just reading NA for another reason?
I can't help you with your other questions, but I think that you just need to drive a little ways (500 ft?) in order for the tire pressures to be recognized. Does Spy still show NA after driving?

Thanks. I hadn't checked after driving.

I'm starting to think that I got used to driving on such little tread that I am noticing the tread. I probably starting driving the car harder and harder over the last 18k and the edges of the front tires were bald - which give the best dry traction....

I was definitely going to upgrade the tires but my wife will soon enough be the primary driver and she mostly needs range...

See this thread describing the same thing.
To repeat the followup post I made in that thread:

I had the same thing happen to me (I posted about it here).
I then measured the circumference of my front tires and found that they were about 3/8" different. So this may be the cause.

For now, I just turn off stability control. I haven't decided if I'm just going to keep living with it or get new tires.

Thanks for that. I clearly am experiencing the same thing as the poster of that thread did.

The tires appear to be worn the same but I'll measure it to be sure.

Hasn't happened the last few days.....

I'd hate to shut off the DSC

My tires are worn the same as well. I'm guessing it's poor quality control in tire construction, at least in my case.

Back