Bad cells reported by CVLI test with LeafSpy pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tivollix

Hello,
I just did a CVLI test on my battery because the dealer did one with my car but told me that everything was fine.
Many cells are shown as bad. Should I repport that to the dealer or Nissan?

Screenshot_2014-10-15-18-57-37.png

Capacity evolution, the spike in capacity is the P3227 update:
battery_capacity.png

Hello,
Here is the evolution during my commute:

After 80% charge and before driving:
Screenshot_2014-10-16-06-57-48_s.png

After 6 miles of very slow driving:
Screenshot_2014-10-16-07-20-15_s.png

After 22 miles:
Screenshot_2014-10-16-07-53-22_s.png

The "weak" cells are visible very fast.

drees said:
What do the CP voltages look like when the pack is fully charged?

tivollix said:
I just did a CVLI test on my battery because the dealer did one with my car but told me that everything was fine.

When you brought the car to the dealer, was your battery at a low state of charge? Maybe the dealer didn't bother draining down the battery to do the test?

How do you do a CVLI test in LeafSpy pro? Does it automatically show you the bad cells when you are at a low SOC? When I'm below VLBW I have a much wider range of voltages (about 145mV) but none are reported as being bad.

I think your capacity plot has turned south partially due to your pack being unbalanced. If you have been charging exclusively to 80% for a long time, you really should do a 100% charge several days in a row to get the pack back into a full balance. If you do that, I think you will see a bump back up in reported capacity and no more CVLI failures.

Thank you for your feedback. I dont charge the pack daily to 100% in summer in order to limit pack aging. Usually I still do it twice a month.
Now that cold days are back I will switch to 100% charging daily as soon as we will be below 32F during the nights. I will redo the test then.

RegGuheert said:
I think your capacity plot has turned south partially due to your pack being unbalanced. If you have been charging exclusively to 80% for a long time, you really should do a 100% charge several days in a row to get the pack back into a full balance. If you do that, I think you will see a bump back up in reported capacity and no more CVLI failures.

The dealer did discharge the battery to one bar, the interesting part was that he did not see that the battery timer was on ( I forgot to remove it). So The car was empty when I got it back...

muus said:
tivollix said:

When you brought the car to the dealer, was your battery at a low state of charge? Maybe the dealer didn't bother draining down the battery to do the test?

How do you do a CVLI test in LeafSpy pro? Does it automatically show you the bad cells when you are at a low SOC? When I'm below VLBW I have a much wider range of voltages (about 145mV) but none are reported as being bad.

Back