some questions. what charger? what are these holes?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerys

I have come to understand that my leaf can charge at 6.6kw but that this is an "option"

I got mjne technically used. So how do I determine which charger I have?

If I do not have the 6.6kw option how do I get it?

I scored an additional l1 charger today for $100 when I got my spare tire (stock alloy rim and tire for $120 brand new!)

Also I got rid of the very ugly fro t license plate and frame (had a dealer plate it it)

So I need to fill the drilled holes they made for it

But on removal surprise these other holes

http://www.imgur.com/n8he0E5.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What are they for?

Suggestion on plugs to fill them? How to get matching paint?

Thanks!

nerys said:
I have come to understand that my leaf can charge at 6.6kw but that this is an "option"

First of all, if it isn't at least a 2013 or newer, you don't have it. Most likely if you have the quick-charge port, you probably have the 6.6Kw also. And another way to tell is on your dash. If it shows just 2 charging times (one for 120V and one for 240V) then you have the 3.3, but if it shows 3 different charging times then you have the 6.6.

So how do I get 6.6 (it jist shows 2) being able to charge in 3 hours sounds really nice especially delivering in the winter :)

buy a different Leaf. only available 2013 and up on SV and SL, as well as some S with charge package (Quick Charge is part of that).

I doubt it will take 6 hours to charge on 240vac unless your changing to 100% and running to less than 10% each day.

What EVSE do you have? The stock one that comes with the car and plugs in to a regular 120vac outlet? You can try that for a bit but you could upgrade that to a 120/240 unit to let you charge more than twice as fast. Take a look at http://evseupgrade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Living on the l1 for now. Have to save up the scratch for an l2. So the evse upgrade does not charge in 6 hours?

That is important as a third party charger is only $100 more and will give me the full 3.3kw.

nerys said:
Living on the l1 for now. Have to save up the scratch for an l2. So the evse upgrade does not charge in 6 hours?

That is important as a third party charger is only $100 more and will give me the full 3.3kw.

The EVSEupgrade at 15 amps will provide up to 3.6kW every hour, and the maximum your charger will accept is 3.3kW. I think that translates to 3kW per hour into the battery, so maybe 7 hours to recharge completely from empty, but that's as fast as a 40 amp unit would do it, too. Now that you have 2 trickle chargers, it's a given that the EVSEupgrade is the most cost effective and efficient way to go.

Oh ok that is perfect. Get one upgraded then do the other when I have funds. Huge relief having both a spare tire and an extra power supply now :)

OP, can you please put your model year in your signature? I had to do sleuthing to figure out what you got.
nerys said:

If I do not have the 6.6kw option how do I get it?

I scored an additional l1 charger today for $100
To avoid confusion, please use the right terminology. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14728&p=332668#p332668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
finman100 said:
buy a different Leaf. only available 2013 and up on SV and SL, as well as some S with charge package (Quick Charge is part of that).
Yes. 3.3 kW OBC was the only OBC on the pre-'13 Leafs. An altnerative is http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=12323" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I haven't kept up w/that thread as I don't care. Doesn't apply to me.
billg said:
The EVSEupgrade at 15 amps will provide up to 3.6kW every hour, and the maximum your charger will accept is 3.3kW. I think that translates to 3kW per hour into the battery, so maybe 7 hours to recharge completely from empty, but that's as fast as a 40 amp unit would do it, too. Now that you have 2 trickle chargers, it's a given that the EVSEupgrade is the most cost effective and efficient way to go.
You've got some unit confusion here. To partly quote someone else:

kW and kWh are very different metrics. It's the same as confusing gallons with horsepower. Think of kW = horsepower, kWh = gallons.

A Leaf w/a new non-degraded battery has about ~21 kWh kWh usable.

If your load is 1 kW or 1000 watts for 1 hour, you've consumed 1 kWh. If you have a 1 watt light bulb that runs for 1000 hours, that's also 1 kWh.

Kw is kwh usually. For 99% of discussion this is what people mean when they say kw or kwh.

Most of us have no reason to use instant demand kw. Far too variable and not usually of any use to us.

My confusion was from misreading. He said evse upgrade was twice as fast. This means 11 hours to me when I want the max 7 hours. Ie 3 times as fast (My dash says 6 hours to 100% this is a mistake? 6 hours is to 80%?

I thought he was saying the evse upgrade would not max my 3.3kw charge rate (my mistake) ie would rather pay extra $100 if it did not max.

You also answered another question. I was confused that I never got 24kw out of the battery. Always says 18.9kw to 19.9kw in leafspy and 257gids whatever that is (I found the tjread on gids I think just have not read it yet). Was wondering where my missing 4kw went :)

Still am. Thought it was a 24kw pack?

And no. That light bulb is a 1wh bulb that consumes a total of 1000kw over its designated runtime.

Again we say 1watt bulb but that really means 1 watt hour.

We say watt but we mean watt when referring to total consumed power and we mean watt hour when talking about rate of consumption. Ie defined by context. Not saying it is right just the way it is.

^^^
Your post is really confusing and you've mixed up units.

A new Leaf battery has ~24 kWh total capacity w/about 21 kWh accessible.

nerys said:
Kw is kwh usually. For 99% of discussion this is what people mean when they say kw or kwh.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. It IS important to distinguish the two.

First off, charge speed is pretty much full speed from 0 to 80%. There's a taper near 100%, not sure exactly where.

If you pull 3.8 kW out of the wall. In 1 hour, 3.8 kWh came out of the wall, and ~3.3 kWh made it into the battery, due to fixed overhead. If charging speed were totally constant (it's not), it would take ~6.4 hours for a dead 3.3 kW OBC equipped Leaf to fully charge.

Looks like http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; allows for up to 16 amps @ 240 volts = 3.8 kW, so that's the max you can do on your Leaf via L2 AC charging.

People always say kw but really mean kwh. Ie regular critters dont use kw they use kw but mean kwh but think its kw. (Its weird)

Suffice it to say when someone not in a technical discussion says kw 99% of the time they are actually referring to kwh

A 40w light bulb is not 40w (that would mean it burns out after 1hr) its a 40 wh light bulb

An inverter does not make 1500w it makes watts at a rate of 1500wh

A 3000w genny is actually a 3000wh genny

But we just say 40w 1500w 3000w

Nothing confusing. If you know how electricity works you just "know" this.

Added my sig. Anything else I should include?

nerys said:
People always say kw but really mean kwh

No. The only people who do that are people who don't understand the units or their meaning. It would be like saying "man" when you really mean "man-hours".

Again a 40w bulb is not 40w a 1500w inverter is not 1500w a 3000w genny is not 3000w

Your explanation of these incorrect labels?

nerys said:
And no. That light bulb is a 1wh bulb that consumes a total of 1000kw over its designated runtime.

Again we say 1watt bulb but that really means 1 watt hour.

We say watt but we mean watt when referring to total consumed power and we mean watt hour when talking about rate of consumption. Ie defined by context. Not saying it is right just the way it is.

You lost me on this one... When talking about watts in light bulbs we definitely are talking about the rate of energy they consume, not the amount of energy they consume over a specified time. So watts is the correct term to use when talking about light bulbs, not watt-hours.

I think nerys is referring to if you look at a light bulb it says right on it 40w. Now we all here know that is referring to the lamp consuming 40 watts per hour, it doesn't say 40whr on it, it just says 40w. He is saying the same thing with a genset, for example if they are listed at say 3000 watts continuous again we know this means 3kWh.

On the flip side nery's it is important to note if it is kWh when talking about charging because that's what matters in the end to the battery, its total capacity.

nerys, the battery in the Leaf is 24kWh but to protect the battery the car won't let you use the top and bottom of the battery's capacity, so you end up with about 21kWh of usable power in the pack and that means if the pack were "dead" you would need to put about 21kWh back in the battery itself which might be as much as 26kWh from the wall since not all the power from the wall ends up back in the battery, some in the chargers loss, some in heating the battery, and some in cooling pumps running. I know I am simplifying it, but there are other parts that consume the power besides just being stored in the battery itself.

Come on folks - Kwh vs Kw is very simple. Kw is the rate while Kwh is the volume. Kw is to Mph as Kwh is to miles traveled to put it in the good ol' test format.

Nerys - this is an important distinction when we are talking about our cars. If you are talking about an ESVE that can run at "4.8Kw" it tells you the maximum rate of energy transfer; your car has an OBC that is 3.3Kw - that means it can flow at that maximum rate. Your battery on the other hand holds a volume of energy referenced as "Kwh" - i.e. 21Kwh of useful capacity, but the battery also has a maximum drain rate (XXXKw) as well as charging rate (XXKw). For you the maximum charge rate is limited by your OBC - rated at 3.3Kw but it will deliver about 3Kw to the battery - thus you can come up with the estimate of 7 hrs to get 21Kwh of power into your battery (21Kwh/3Kw = 7h).

I apologize to go on about this but too many folks dismiss this very easily and want to use whatever they happen to type at the time with the implication that they care interchangeable and they really aren't. Once folks get their mind wrapped around the meaning and use them correctly conversations flow easier....

Back