Tire Pressure Warning slow?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob

My 2013 Leaf SV got a flat. I hit a curb and the sidewall burst, going to zero pressure instantly. I drove 0.2 miles to safety on the flat, but it never told me of low pressure. I was towed home. At home, I replaced the whole wheel with a surplus Nissan wheel and tire from a different car. This one doesn't have TPS at all. I drove that wheel on the Leaf for 12 miles, and still didn't see tire pressure warning on the dash.

The next day, I drove another 8 miles and tire pressure warning finally came on. It should be on, because the bad tire/wheel is not even in the car so the car is getting no signal from that wheel.

This sounds wrong. I expected to get low pressure sometime during that first 0.2 mile run to safety.

Is this expected behavior or is something wrong?

Thanks!

Bob

Thanks to all for the comments. I went to the dealer today to have the tire pressure warning system checked.

They let air out of a tire and said that the warning came on immediately. So they say that there is nothing they can do to help.

Bob

Does wheel have to be spinning at some minimum speed to work?
I recall inflating my tires and not seeing change until I drove.
If so this could explain why it did not show up if you were driving slowly after air escaped.

Back