Do I have to take my flat tire to the dealer to be fixed?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traceypa

Quick, I got a flat tire on my way home last night and need to get it fixed. Hubby is convinced only the dealer can fix it. I am not so sure. What say you?
Will it void my lease agreement if someone else fixes it?

Just about anyone should be able to fix a flat tire. I recently fixed a flat on our LEAF.

I recommend that you not use the "fix-a-flat" that came with the car, though, since that will almost certainly destroy the pressure sensor for that wheel.

traceypa said:
Quick, I got a flat tire on my way home last night and need to get it fixed. Hubby is convinced only the dealer can fix it. I am not so sure. What say you?
Will it void my lease agreement if someone else fixes it?

I don't know about lease agreements, but I blew out a tire on my (purchased) Leaf by turning too tightly against a curb (yes, it was stupid). I just took it to the local tire shop down the street.

Definitely no need to take it to a dealership.

Test fit the spare tire from your other car(s) to see if you have a bolt pattern match. Since the leaf is always (relatively) close to home. My 06 Chrysler T&C spare tire fits perfect on the leaf, so I just have to call home and get someone to drive out to my breakdown spot with that vehicle and I'll use its spare.

Just take it somewhere reputable, and make sure that they use a "plug and patch". If they insist you only need one or the other, don't argue just find another shop.

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/art_and_leisure/2011-02-repairing-todays-tires-beware-of-tire-plugs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I say, take it to wherever saves you the most dough.

I learned this lesson. I ran over something large and sharp, right rear tire. Looked like my tire was slashed, except it was on the tread, so I doubt it was malicious intent. Came out to my car after work to this discovery. Called Nissan's roadside assistance and they were prompt in sending a tow truck my way.

The tow truck driver suggested I save money by avoiding the dealer and going to Les Schwab instead. I listened to his advice, and he towed me there. I needed new tires anyway, because the Bridgestone Ecopias are complete garbage and my tread was worn off badly on the front two. Didn't help that my snow chains probably contributed to this acceleration of wear. Got a pair of four tires for $335, brand new and installed.

BUT, the tow truck driver didn't realize until after he was writing up the paperwork, that Nissan only pays for the tow IF you have it towed to their dealership. So before letting Les Schwab put the tires on, I called Nissan of Portland for a tire quote, and all they had were the crappy Ecopias, which they wanted way too much money for, plus they only had like two. And I needed four. Even with having to pay for the tow, I was still out less money than if I'd shipped Elektra straight to Nissan.

Most of you experts are probably rolling your eyes at me and thinking this is obvious, but I didn't know any of it until I found out for myself. Hoping to pass said wisdom along, since we Leaf owners are stuck out in the wild blue yonder sans spare tires. :shock:

It's not obvious to most drivers, I'm afraid. Even I didn't expect those free tows to be only to dealerships before I started leasing, and I'm an experienced driver.

Had a nail in my tire about 11 months into owning my Leaf. Called Nissan roadside assistance, they sent a flat bed truck. The guy inflated the tire, didn't see an obvious leak around the nail and gave me the option of driving home or getting Leaf taken to the dealer. I drove home slowly and carefully, added 10 pounds pressure the next morning, drove to a local service station. They pulled the nail, plugged the hole and charged me $15. Tire is still fine 20,000 miles later.

LeftieBiker said:
It's not obvious to most drivers, I'm afraid. Even I didn't expect those free tows to be only to dealerships before I started leasing, and I'm an experienced driver.

Thanks for the validation. :) The Leaf is actually my 10th car and my second lease. My former lease was a 2011 Hyundai Elantra, which I ditched early due to an apparently cursed exterior (every rock, shopping cart, and bad parker hitting it.) Also, horrendous fuel mileage for a car its size. I even was one of those who received a small class-action settlement due to the inflated claims that Hyundai made about the Elantra's MPG. Giving it up early was a dumb financial move. Duh. But really, I don't wish I had my Elantra back, not for a second. I was even a moderator at a large Hyundai forum, but I admit I like the way Nissans drive much better, having owned (or husband owned) 4 in total, and driven others as dealer loaners.

That aside, before I started leasing, I owned my cars outright, and used AAA to tow. Did use it a couple of times, mainly on my '92 Nissan Stanza whose engine caught on fire, then the timing chain gave out at a later date. So, I'm new to the luxury that is roadside assistance. Yet, the one time I did utilize it, I ended up paying that tow truck driver anyway. I think if you've read most of my posts, you've gathered I am not in the top 1% of the nation's wealth, and honestly a bit on the car-poor side of life. If I was a one-percenter, I'd be driving a Tesla, sorry. :geek:

My only other gripe is that my 2012 has that notoriously light, cloth interior. The tow truck driver got his greasy hands all over it. It's a good thing I was able to get the stains out. Otherwise I'd be one unhappy, first-world-problems camper. ;)

Stoaty said:
Had a nail in my tire about 11 months into owning my Leaf. Called Nissan roadside assistance, they sent a flat bed truck. The guy inflated the tire, didn't see an obvious leak around the nail and gave me the option of driving home or getting Leaf taken to the dealer. I drove home slowly and carefully, added 10 pounds pressure the next morning, drove to a local service station. They pulled the nail, plugged the hole and charged me $15. Tire is still fine 20,000 miles later.
Just a note to point out that the LEAF includes a very nice little compressor in the trunk (next to the goo that you shouldn't use unless you have a dire emergency). If you just have a flat due to a slow leak, the easiest thing to do is to pump it up with the compressor and get to somewhere you can cheaply have it repaired. No need to wait for roadside assistance unless the tire simply will not hold air.

Just one word of caution when using the included air compressor: You may want to put the LEAF in READY mode in Park with the emergency brake on in order to reduce the time it takes to pump up your tire and to ensure that you do not become stranded due to a dead battery. Many of our LEAFs now have pretty weak 12V batteries.

Msquared said:
Can anyone tell me where this compressor is located? I have yet to see it in my trunk.
On the 2011 it is behind a plastic panel that opens.
I have the option with the big plastic two storage bins that gives a level surface.
You have to take the big bin out to open the plastic panel where the compressor and goop are stored.

RegGuheert said:
Just a note to point out that the LEAF includes a very nice little compressor in the trunk (next to the goo that you shouldn't use unless you have a dire emergency).
Thanks. Didn't know there was a compressor there.

What do you all think? Would it be wise to carry a little plug kit? Then you would never have to use that goop and ruin your pressure sensor. But if I had nothing else on a deserted road in the desert and no cell phone reception I'd use the tire goop. But id rather use a plug kit if I had one.

johnrhansen said:
What do you all think? Would it be wise to carry a little plug kit? Then you would never have to use that goop and ruin your pressure sensor. But if I had nothing else on a deserted road in the desert and no cell phone reception I'd use the tire goop. But id rather use a plug kit if I had one.

I carry two different plug kits and have used them both. I carry a plug kit for motorcycles that has mushroom-shaped plugs with an insertion tool which will make a "permanent" repair for nail or screw holes in the tread as my main kit. In addition, I carry one of the cheap long rubber string-type kits from Walmart/Target, etc. in case I get a long cut in the tread or sidewall. You can use several of the strings with plenty of glue to make a temporary repair of a large gash so you can drive slowly to a tire shop.

I put permanent repair in quotes because the tire should be removed from the wheel and inspected/repaired from inside if there is any question about the integrity of the tire or plug repair.

Gerry

Msquared said:
I'm glad I read this; otherwise I wouldn't have known. Mine is a 2012, so I'm assuming it's the same as the 2011...
It is the same. The access panel to the tool compartment is in the left side of the trunk. I also bought an Altima jack (on eBay) that fits the LEAf and keep it in there.

johnrhansen said:
I carry a plug kit (and long nose pliers for removing nails/screws). Never had to use it but cell phone reception is iffy here and the wait for a tow figures to be quite long in my remote area. Don't relish the thought of trying to do a roadside repair at night in snow though. Australia has the right idea: spare tires should be mandatory.

Back