2013 Leaf rear bumper misaligned!?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ichristopherg

I just got my new leaf about 5 days ago and I noticed before I bought it that the rear bumper seems to be popping out on the passenger side. The bumper does not sit flush like on the driver side. I noticed this defect in the same spot on all the Leafs the dealer had on the lot. Is there any way I can adjust it myself? Thanks for the help guys!
Passenger side

Driver side

Lasareath said:
Don't get me started, I have so many panels that don't line up. Maybe I'll take some pictures.

I wouldn't mind seeing some pics!

As far as I can tell that seems to be the only misaligned piece. Like I said every leaf on the lot had the same misalignment in the same spot! I might take it some time this week to get it looked at. I wish I could just adjust it myself...

The fit and finish on the '013 is horrible compared to the earlier LEAF's. My 2013 had to go to a body shop just to get the rear door to fit so the seals would contact the body. They got it resolved. My rear bumper fits OK but on the passenger side it rubs on the tail light and squeaks if you push on it. My 2012 never did that. I hope its just start up problems at a new plant not Japanese v.s. American quality.

siai said:
The fit and finish on the '013 is horrible compared to the earlier LEAF's. My 2013 had to go to a body shop just to get the rear door to fit so the seals would contact the body. They got it resolved. My rear bumper fits OK but on the passenger side it rubs on the tail light and squeaks if you push on it. My 2012 never did that. I hope its just start up problems at a new plant not Japanese v.s. American quality.

Wow! I hope you didn't have to pay out of pocket for it or go thru your insurance! I'm thinking if I go to the dealer to have it adjusted they might just say its supposed to be like that and reference the other leafs on the lot. I'm going to see if I can adjust it myself as my dealer isn't exactly down the block.

Agreed here. My '11 LEAF has a slightly bent hood. The right front corner sticks up (about a 1 mm), while the left front corner is flush with the bumper. I remember looking at all of the other LEAFs on the lot, and they were all like that. The other panels fit ok.

My rear bumper is also misaligned. The driver's side is higher and has in fact rubbed the paint off the bumper at the seam right next to the tail light. No paint has rubbed off the metal and if I were to realign it I'm pretty sure you'd see the damage. The misalignment has left some space between the tail light and the bumper. I may loosen the bolt nearest the misalignment and see if I can shift it a little, but I'm pretty sure if I do that the missing paint will be visible. Ugh.

Where's the QC on these Leafs!? I would think someone would be inspecting the panels making sure they are correctly in place. In the grandscheme of things I am leasing so its not bugging me too much. Hopefully tomorrow I can take a good look at it and make some adjustments.

ichristopherg said:
Where's the QC on these Leafs!? I would think someone would be inspecting the panels making sure they are correctly in place. In the grandscheme of things I am leasing so its not bugging me too much. Hopefully tomorrow I can take a good look at it and make some adjustments.

The QC is in the front. ;)

Seriously, I don't understand you not taking it back to the dealer to take care of it???

I have the same problem on my 2013 Leaf that I purchased 4 weeks ago. The passenger side of the rear bumper had a bigger gap between it an the metal rear quarter panel of the car, also it was loose so that when you pushed on it, it moved. It had also scraped paint off on the lights on both sides of the car where it had been too tight on the drivers side, and moving about on the passengers side.

I took the car back to the dealer, who then sent it to their body shop, who have been working on it for a week. The tried refitting the bumper, which failed. The then aquired and painted a new bumper, which also did not fit. They also tried the bumper of another leaf they had in the shop. Then they took some measurements of the of some welded metal panels on the passenger side rear of the car and determined that parts were welded 5mm out of allignment.

They then sent someone from teh body shop over to the dealer and discovered the same missalignment on EVERY SINGLE NEW LEAF on the lot.

This is obviously a manufacturing defect. As one guy at my work put it, "when they installed the welding robot, someone must have tripped over the extension cord and knocked it out of allignment."

The body shop is doing their best to refit the bumper so that it doest rub or move, but they are unable to fix the problem. I guess this could potentially become a BIG headache for Nissan. The warentee states that it covers any manufacturing defects, and this apears to be that. 5 mm is a BIG missalignment in my book.

mwalsh said:
ichristopherg said:

The QC is in the front. ;)

Seriously, I don't understand you not taking it back to the dealer to take care of it???

If I had bought the car not leased I would've gone back ASAP. Seriously.

Had to leave for work very early so i couldn't take any pictures, but look at this pic:

http://www.nissanleafsunroof.com/html/02.%20%20%202013%20Nissan%20Leaf%20After%20the%20Sunroof%20was%20installed.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See the front 1/4 panels, the passenger one does not line up with the windshield pillars or the hood. the right one looks good but the left is off or bent. this is how I received the car.

Also my front door is higher then the rear doors, the front drivers door sticks out at the bottom 1/4"

The front passenger door is bent at the front.

It looks like the car got into an accident and they fixed it by bending the panels by hand. it's crazy.

My bumper also is misaligned, not as bad as the OP though.

egodley said:
I have the same problem on my 2013 Leaf that I purchased 4 weeks ago. The passenger side of the rear bumper had a bigger gap between it an the metal rear quarter panel of the car, also it was loose so that when you pushed on it, it moved. It had also scraped paint off on the lights on both sides of the car where it had been too tight on the drivers side, and moving about on the passengers side.

I took the car back to the dealer, who then sent it to their body shop, who have been working on it for a week. The tried refitting the bumper, which failed. The then aquired and painted a new bumper, which also did not fit. They also tried the bumper of another leaf they had in the shop. Then they took some measurements of the of some welded metal panels on the passenger side rear of the car and determined that parts were welded 5mm out of allignment.

They then sent someone from teh body shop over to the dealer and discovered the same missalignment on EVERY SINGLE NEW LEAF on the lot.

This is obviously a manufacturing defect. As one guy at my work put it, "when they installed the welding robot, someone must have tripped over the extension cord and knocked it out of allignment."

The body shop is doing their best to refit the bumper so that it doest rub or move, but they are unable to fix the problem. I guess this could potentially become a BIG headache for Nissan. The warentee states that it covers any manufacturing defects, and this apears to be that. 5 mm is a BIG missalignment in my book.

Thats nuts! I guess that explains why all the 2013 Leafs have the same issue... I did some adjustments today on the bumper, It helped but its still a tiny bit off. I too can see where the paint could start to scrap off as its pinched tight on the drivers side compared to the passenger side. Last thing I want is for my 1 week old Leaf to have to go to the body shop already... Sorry to hear about that.

Lasareath said:
Had to leave for work very early so i couldn't take any pictures, but look at this pic:

http://www.nissanleafsunroof.com/html/02.%20%20%202013%20Nissan%20Leaf%20After%20the%20Sunroof%20was%20installed.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See the front 1/4 panels, the passenger one does not line up with the windshield pillars or the hood. the right one looks good but the left is off or bent. this is how I received the car.

Also my front door is higher then the rear doors, the front drivers door sticks out at the bottom 1/4"

The front passenger door is bent at the front.

It looks like the car got into an accident and they fixed it by bending the panels by hand. it's crazy.

My bumper also is misaligned, not as bad as the OP though.

Whoa! I could tell right away where it was off without even reading your post! Any plans to take it to the dealer?? Could it have been in an accident before you bought it?

I was curious why doesn't the leaf have VIN sticker on any of the panels or doors? My Z had them on all panels.

Back