Locking vehicle: Locking chime(horn) now stopped sounding ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxp

Hi

When locking the vehicle, the locking chime(horn sound) is apparently not sounding as before. Where do I first start looking to see what's up?

Observations so far:

1. I checked all doors and they are properly closed. (When there is no chime/horn when locking, it usually a door is left open)

2. Tested the car horn and it still works

3. Blinkers still flash twice when Locking, just no chime/horn. When unlocking, NO blinkers flash. (Normally, when unlocking, blinkers flash once)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

frequently my car does not make the start up sound. it does not in any way, affect the operation of the car so I am ok with it. I really dont care one way or the other.

DaveinOlyWA said:
frequently my car does not make the start up sound. it does not in any way, affect the operation of the car so I am ok with it. I really dont care one way or the other.

Dave,

What I meant to say was when locking the vehicle with the remote, the horn normally beeps. Now it doesn't sound at all.

My start up sound/chime inside the vehicle still works normally when starting up the car.

Just trying to figure out what's failed. Are there 2 horns inside the Leaf? One as the primary driving horn?

Thanks!

mxp said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Dave,

What I meant to say was when locking the vehicle with the remote, the horn normally beeps. Now it doesn't sound at all.

My start up sound/chime inside the vehicle still works normally when starting up the car.

Just trying to figure out what's failed. Are there 2 horns inside the Leaf? One as the primary driving horn?

Thanks!

ya, i understand what you are saying and there is only one horn. it would not be cost effective to have a horn that only chirped when locking the door i would think.

i went out and tried my LEAF and the horn only beeps if i use the FOB to lock the door which is pretty rare. it does the high pitched beep when i use the button to lock it.

do the lights still flash?

DaveinOlyWA said:
mxp said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Dave,

Thanks!

ya, i understand what you are saying and there is only one horn. it would not be cost effective to have a horn that only chirped when locking the door i would think.

i went out and tried my LEAF and the horn only beeps if i use the FOB to lock the door which is pretty rare. it does the high pitched beep when i use the button to lock it.

do the lights still flash?

Yes, the lights still flash when locking. Just no sound.

The other unusual observation is this: When Unlocking, the blinkers will NOT flash now. Under normal Unlocking operation, the blinkers should flash one time.

I just hope it's a simple fix like a fuse.....

Mine did that (no chirp when using button on door handle) for the first time the other day. I found the cause to be my seatbelt caught in the door so the sensor checking for fully closed was not satisfied. It still seemed to lock, but did not chime until I opened the door, moved the seatbelt, and closed the door again.

Gerry

I think I know what your problem might be. When I got my Leaf, I did not want the horn to sound when locking/unlocking, and asked if it could be set to not beep. The technician pressed some keys on the fob in a particular way to disable the horn sounding. (If I remember correctly, it was two keys simultaneously) My car acts exactly like yours, except on purpose. It is possible that your fob just needs to be re-set, perhaps it happened accidentally to yours.

All spelled out in the Owners Manual:
If horns are not necessary, the system can be switched to the hazard indicator mode. In hazard indicator mode, when the LOCK button is pushed, the hazard indicator flashes twice. When the UNLOCK button is pushed, neither the hazard indicator nor the horn operates.

To switch the hazard indicator and horn (chime) operation, push the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the Intelligent Key simultaneously for more than 2 seconds.
  • When the hazard indicator mode is set, the hazard indicator flashes 3 times.
  • When the hazard indicator and horn mode is set, the hazard indicator flashes once and the horn chirps once.
Ray

Boy, that was timely. I was just signing on to ask the same question. Thanks Ray. Tonight in the garage, I found that there is a setting under the menu=>Settings=>Volume & Beeps which is for "Switch Beeps". It was set to off so I set it on. Couldn't tell what it set "on", but it wasn't the chime sound when locking.

FYI: There actually are 2 horns! There is a horn on the passenger side hidden behind the fog light for the "security system". It's as pitiful as the original main one was, if not more. I bridged the two outputs when I upgraded my main horns so that if the security system sounds, it's using my new loud horn set.

-Phil

Thanks for pointing that out in the manual! It worked and now I am back to normal.
Somehow, my kids must have been pressing the key fob randomly to caused the hazard indicator mode.

planet4ever said:
If horns are not necessary, the system can be switched to the hazard indicator mode. In hazard indicator mode, when the LOCK button is pushed, the hazard indicator flashes twice. When the UNLOCK button is pushed, neither the hazard indicator nor the horn operates.

To switch the hazard indicator and horn (chime) operation, push the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the Intelligent Key simultaneously for more than 2 seconds.
  • When the hazard indicator and horn mode is set, the hazard indicator flashes once and the horn chirps once.
Ray

Thanks for posting this, I was just about to run to the manual.
planet4ever said:

Ray

Hi all. I just traded in my 2012 for a 2015. It is acting weird. I never use the key to lock the, I just push the button on the door handle. So when I park and exit the vehicle and close the door, I push the button and it locks just fine.
But when I park and open the door, push the lock button on the inside, exit and close the door it makes the series of beeps and does not lock. Just as if there was a key in the car. This is the method I used in the 2012, with never a problem. Not a big deal, I just do it the first way, but it makes no sense to me. Any ideas?

DesertDenizen said:
Hi all. I just traded in my 2012 for a 2015. It is acting weird. I never use the key to lock the, I just push the button on the door handle. So when I park and exit the vehicle and close the door, I push the button and it locks just fine.
But when I park and open the door, push the lock button on the inside, exit and close the door it makes the series of beeps and does not lock. Just as if there was a key in the car. This is the method I used in the 2012, with never a problem. Not a big deal, I just do it the first way, but it makes no sense to me. Any ideas?

I have the same issue - did you resolve the problem? It happens intermittently on both using the fob or the door button to lock - a rapid shrill series of bleeps and does not lock. It will lock using the emergency key though, and opens as normal. Wierd!

Silly me. It turns out the dealer put the extra fob in the owners manual, so of course the would not lock with a key in the car. There is so much you have to cover when picking up a car, I neglected to ask about the second fob.

DesertDenizen said:
Silly me. It turns out the dealer put the extra fob in the owners manual, so of course the would not lock with a key in the car. There is so much you have to cover when picking up a car, I neglected to ask about the second fob.
Be sure you don't lose the little metal tag with the key code.
The fobs are expensive.
But if you need another and don't have a fob or the code number then they are REALLY expensive.

Back