Parking the car in Neutral?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinleaf

There was a charging spot so narrow I could not even get out my driver's door. I wanted to put the car in neutral and push it into the spot, blocking the tires with a brick when parked, but I realized I can't turn off the car and leave it in neutral. As soon as I turn the car off the car is in Park.

Does anyone know a way to take the key out of the car but leave it in N instead of P?

Thanks in advance!

Fold the seats down and crawl out the rear hatch (There was a posting recently about how to open that from inside via an emergency mechanical release normally concealed behind a panel). Or find some other place to park?

In this case I really needed a charge and there was no other spot.

Sicking to the original question: Can I leave the car "OFF" but in neutral somehow?

kevinleaf said:
Sicking to the original question: Can I leave the car "OFF" but in neutral somehow?
No. There is no transmission, therefore the motor is always connected to the wheels. Neutral puts the motor controller in a mode that allows the electric motor to spin freely, but the car must be on for that. As soon as the car is turned off, the parking pawl is engaged and the car is locked in park. You can take the key out of the car while leaving the car "On" and in neutral, but it won't charge unless you turn it off, so that wouldn't have helped much. What you would have to do in this case would be to park it normally, and crawl out the back or leave it on and in neutral, push it in, then crawl in from the back to turn it off so you can charge.

For the 2011/2012, the service manual General Information section, describes a procedure (Procedure for Park
Lock Release) for removing 3 fuses
that will stop the parking pawl from engaging, allowing for movement of the vehicle while off.

kevinleaf said:
There was a charging spot so narrow I could not even get out my driver's door.

I wonder what the sides of your car would have looked like when the drivers and passengers of the cars parked on either side of you opened their doors ...

Levenkay said:
Fold the seats down and crawl out the rear hatch (There was a posting recently about how to open that from inside via an emergency mechanical release normally concealed behind a panel). Or find some other place to park?

Speaking of this, why can't you open your trunk from the fob or the inside of the car by the drivers seat ? along the lines like the charging port door opener by your knees??

Sondy132001 said:
Levenkay said:

Speaking of this, why can't you open your trunk from the fob or the inside of the car by the drivers seat ? along the lines like the charging port door opener by your knees??

As the hatch has an electric switch in the handle, there's no need for a remote release inside the car or in the fob. Just grab the handle.

Nissan also doesn't intend for you to exit the car via the hatch :lol:

Back