TPM Malfunction Take it to Dealer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
freshleaf said:
Start the Car again in the morning and same issue wont start, check the 12V Battery and its showing 7.1v. Put back on 10A Charger.
Looks like my Battery is pretty much Dead and afraid of taking the car out today it might wont start where I will park and its 23F now.

Taking the Car to the Dealer on Monday since its under Warranty. Is 12V Battery Covered under the Warranty or Dealer will stick me a Bill for this..
I also have extra mechanical part breakdown Insurance which the Financial Guy stick in during the Lease process ($250).
If you plan on keeping the vehicle, then going to Lithium 12volt battery is the sure way to make it work for a long time, as I did with mine.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otherwise, you are at the mercy of the Lead Acid technology, which is meant to work in ICE vehicles that always top the battery off after starting, the same application for the Leaf is a bit of a technical over-site in my opinion on the design that should be fixed in future versions. But until something happens, know there is a solution for it for the DIY crowd.

12-volt battery is covered under 3-year, 36,000-mile warranty. If you were not planning to return the car soon, I would recommend a much better battery than the original (AGM deep cycle is much more appropriate for LEAF use). Lithium battery might be OK if you were keeping the car, but the battery dealer I buy all my batteries from will no longer sell 12-volt lithium batteries for motorcycles and cars because of too many problems with their internal BMS systems.

Gerry

I also have extra mechanical part breakdown Insurance which the Financial Guy stick in during the Lease process ($250).

There is no guarantee that your basic manufacturer's warranty for 3 year/60K miles would cover this, because this might be considered a wear&tear item, and also don't be shocked that the 'mechanical part breakdown Insurance' the finance guy shoved it on you may not cover this failure either since this is a not a mechanical part.

I agree that a lithium battery is both overkill and the addition of unnecessary complexity. Use an AGM battery with a somewhat higher capacity, and wire it for a battery maintainer. Even a marine battery would probably suffice, especially with the maintainer.

LeftieBiker said:
I agree that a lithium battery is both overkill and the addition of unnecessary complexity. Use an AGM battery with a somewhat higher capacity, and wire it for a battery maintainer. Even a marine battery would probably suffice, especially with the maintainer.

AGM batteries are great for deep discharge and cycling, but don't let that fool you because they must still be charged and maintained after discharge, not days after a discharge. As someone who has a lot of experience with AGM batteries, it is still lead technology that must be taken care of properly and the way the Leaf algorithms deal with the 12 volt battery won't gain much more life from switching from liquid to glass mat because both types of batteries will suffer a large loss of capacity over time, AGM is just a little slower at the capacity loss. Maybe if the Leaf had a 100AH Lead battery to minimize capacity loss, but then the extra space/weight/cost would really be a sore spot for it.

I disagree on AGMs. I kept a set of them alive in my Lepton scooter for 10+ years. You do have to charge them regularly, but not instantly after discharge. They last for many years in use in RVs with regular but not constant charging. The issue is more that many batteries are now sold as "AGM" that aren't actually Absorbed Glass Matt construction. In the case of the Leaf, since most of the OEM batteries last several years, an AGM can be expected to at least go 5 or so. Longer, with regular use of a maintainer. Longer still, with occasional desulfation.

mkjayakumar said:
There is no guarantee that your basic manufacturer's warranty for 3 year/60K miles would cover this, because this might be considered a wear&tear item...
Incorrect.
GerryAZ is correct that the 12V battery is covered for free replacement under the 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty.
Dealer found the capacity on my original was very bad at the two year inspection and it was replaced at no cost.
The replacement is better rating than the original from Japan.

There was some confusion about this as the 2011 manual was incorrect.
It is covered.

I'd like an AGM battery myself, but since my car is leased, and already hardwired for a maintainer, I'll just get that new battery under warranty before next Winter.

TimLee said:
mkjayakumar said:
There is no guarantee that your basic manufacturer's warranty for 3 year/60K miles would cover this, because this might be considered a wear&tear item...
Incorrect.
GerryAZ is correct that the 12V battery is covered for free replacement under the 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty.
Dealer found the capacity on my original was very bad at the two year inspection and it was replaced at no cost.
The replacement is better rating than the original from Japan.

There was some confusion about this as the 2011 manual was incorrect.
It is covered.
I think your bolded statement isn't totally correct. I'm looking at the '13 Leaf REPLACEMENT 12V BATTERY LIMITED WARRANTY section. It's only covered 100% within the 0-24 month period. After that, it's pro-rated of how much you pay (25%, 50%, 75%) depending on how long it's been in service, up to 84 months.

This isn't that far off from the type 12 volt battery warranty provided on older Nissans that I had.

cwerdna said:
... I'm looking at the '13 Leaf REPLACEMENT 12V BATTERY LIMITED WARRANTY section. It's only covered 100% within the 0-24 month period. After that, it's pro-rated of how much you pay (25%, 50%, 75%) depending on how long it's been in service, up to 84 months.

This isn't that far off from the type 12 volt battery warranty provided on older Nissans that I had.
The warranty section was wrong in the 2011 and it was covered.
Possible they changed the 2013 coverage, or the 2013 manual may still be wrong.

TimLee said:
cwerdna said:
... I'm looking at the '13 Leaf REPLACEMENT 12V BATTERY LIMITED WARRANTY section. It's only covered 100% within the 0-24 month period. After that, it's pro-rated of how much you pay (25%, 50%, 75%) depending on how long it's been in service, up to 84 months.

The warranty section was wrong in the 2011 and it was covered.
Possible they changed the 2013 coverage, or the 2013 manual may still be wrong.
But you said "very bad at the two year inspection", so of course it was covered fully.

cwerdna said:
I think your bolded statement isn't totally correct. I'm looking at the '13 Leaf REPLACEMENT 12V BATTERY LIMITED WARRANTY section. It's only covered 100% within the 0-24 month period. After that, it's pro-rated of how much you pay (25%, 50%, 75%) depending on how long it's been in service, up to 84 months.
Your interpretation matches what I originally thought. But then someone pointed out that this is for "replacement batteries", not the original battery. If that is not the case, then why is the word "replacement" there at all? Why not simply "12V BATTERY LIMITED WARRANTY"?

The ORIGINAL 12-volt battery is covered in full for the duration of the 3-year, 36,000-mile factory warranty. A REPLACEMENT 12-volt battery purchased from a dealer is warranted for 2 years in full and pro-rated for the remainder of the 84-month replacement battery warranty. The language is the same in the 2011 and 2015 warranty guides regarding this. Therefore, I trust that Freshleaf received a new 12-volt battery and is back on the road.

Gerry

Just an update!!!

Dealer replace the 12v Battery for free under 3yr/36k Warranty. Cost to me $0.
Said 12v was Bad and need a replacement.

knightmb said:
LeftieBiker said:

AGM batteries are great for deep discharge and cycling, but don't let that fool you because they must still be charged and maintained after discharge, not days after a discharge. As someone who has a lot of experience with AGM batteries, it is still lead technology that must be taken care of properly and the way the Leaf algorithms deal with the 12 volt battery won't gain much more life from switching from liquid to glass mat because both types of batteries will suffer a large loss of capacity over time, AGM is just a little slower at the capacity loss. Maybe if the Leaf had a 100AH Lead battery to minimize capacity loss, but then the extra space/weight/cost would really be a sore spot for it.

There are 2 separate issues that I think are sometimes equated.

AGM - absorbed glass mat/ Method of constructing a lead/acid battery with no free liquid electrolyte

Deep Cycle - A lead/acid battery specifically designed to withstand deep discharge cycles. This typically involves use of fewer but much thicker plates vs. a "starting battery" which typically has more and thinner plates to deliver high current for starting engines.

Not all AGM batteries are deep cycle, and not all Deep Cycle batteries are AGM

I've never seen an AGM battery that wasn't deep cycle, unless that's what's being sold cheaply as "AGM" by some auto parts places now. The original purpose of the battery as to handle high physical stresses in fighter planes, while providing maximum usable capacity.

freshleaf said:
Just an update!!!

Dealer replace the 12v Battery for free under 3yr/36k Warranty. Cost to me $0.
Said 12v was Bad and need a replacement.
Good news! Congratulations!

Thanks for the follow-up!

Back