1 year - 15K mile service: $221 at Mossy Nissan - San Diego

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaswalla

Went to Mossy Nissan on Clairemont in San Diego for my 15k service. My only concern was that the tires are down to almost no thread and it's been only 15K miles.

Service rep insisted that I needed to get the brake system flushed completely. Add that to the cabin filter, and it was over $200. As for the tires, they were will willing to sell me new Ecopia's for about $150 each.

I just wanted to let everyone know about my experience. I wish I had been reading these forums in advance and would have immediately left the dealership. I did get the service done because I was too naive. I got Michelins from discount tires.

Anyone recommend a place for servicing their Leaf in San Diego? Mossy looks like they are more interested in making sure the service plan they pushed hard at the time of delivery ends up being worth the $600 they were asking

Dealer service departments are in business to be a profit center these days, not support the sales department as in years past. They are quoting that price to everyone for the 1 year LEAF service, and it represents what is specified in the Maintenance manual for the "Severe" driving schedule.

The "non-severe" schedule is less work and should cost less, but I don't know if they would quote a price for "non-severe". They seem to be pushing everyone towards the "Severe" service. A shame, since I think it's going to ultimately cost them some service business over the long run...

I think if you wore out all the threads on the tires at only 15k miles you ARE driving the severe schedule.

Did they test the brake fluid for contamination?.. the Leaf is a heavy car without the possibility of engine braking, your life depends on those pads working without a chance for failure.

From another thread about this dealership, stanley had this to say about @Mossy Kearny Mesa:

stanley said:
I find the recent discussion about Leafs selling below $1,000. MSRP amusing. It fails to take into consideration the big picture of the entire experience one has with a dealer. From purchasing to the on going maintenance of a Leaf. It seems to me that there is not a lot of room for a dealer to make a fair profit below $1000. Having a financially healthy dealer is important to me as I look to having a long term relationship with my dealer where if service issues arise, I will be given the benefit of any doubt about cost or what is necessary to make my Leaf right. While my Leaf has been trouble free. Retrofit and other issues may come up in the future. I am very comfortable that Leon will do the right thing if issues arise. He made my purchasing experience a pleasant one. Always honest and what he says he will do he does without the hassle that I have had from other dealers.

I think someone should let the general manager and forum member, mossyleaf (whom I think is Leon), know that his service department is doing this.

Not necessarily. Look at the tire threads elsewhere on this forum and you will see that it is not uncommon. And these are Leafs that are clearly not being driven "severely..." Particularly in a Leaf, VERY few people will fit the conditions of severe service. It is simply a ploy by the dealers to separate uninformed consumers from their money...

And as to dealers not being able to make a sufficient profit when selling Leafs at $1,000 below MSRP, Fontana Nissan (where I bought mine) seems to be doing VERY nicely with this model. And their customer service, support, and honesty is second to none! So, I'm not buying that argument either.

Herm said:
I think if you wore out all the threads on the tires at only 15k miles you ARE driving the severe schedule.

I went today to Mossy Nissan San Diego for my 1st year battery check and software upgrade. They performed a courtesy check of brakes, tire pressure and tread, brake linings and washed the car. I was not charged anything for the service. I did specify that I did not want the air filter or brake fluid changed. Otherwise, they automatically put you down for the 1 year- 15,000 mile service with a charge of $221.00.

Herm said:
Did they test the brake fluid for contamination?.. the Leaf is a heavy car without the possibility of engine braking, your life depends on those pads working without a chance for failure.

Technically the LEAF does not have "engine braking" but it does have regenerative braking. Therefore, the pads on the LEAF should last a long, LONG, time. Just look at how long hybrid pads are lasting - LEAF's should last as long as those if not more since it has higher regen capacity.

EricBayArea said:
Herm said:

Technically the LEAF does not have "engine braking" but it does have regenerative braking. Therefore, the pads on the LEAF should last a long, LONG, time. Just look at how long hybrid pads are lasting - LEAF's should last as long as those if not more since it has higher regen capacity.
I suggest that the LEAF regen braking is just as effective as an automatic transmission vehicle in the lowest "gear" setting. Perhaps more effective.

I really don't care to try it myself, but has anyone tried applying the LEAF parking brake while moving at 35 MPH or so?

From the Owner's Manual:

If the electric parking brake must be
applied while driving in an emergency,
pull up and hold the electric parking
brake switch. When you release the
parking brake switch, the parking
brake will be released.

Bill

I had my 12 month service done at Connell Nissan, my dealer in Orange County CA, for no charge. The service guy tried to tell me that the brake fluid change was strongly recommended by Nissan and they showed me a letter from Nissan that said the same thing. I pointed out that was for the severe duty schedule and they just shrugged and said that Nissan recommends it, but I didn't feel any pressure at all and they were very personable. I refused the cabin filter replacement. I bought a filter element for $10 from garygid, but even if I hadn't, I still would have refused that service at only a year.

I had had the tire rotation done at the 6 month point and the service guy said that he didn't think I needed it again yet. After looking at the wear condition on my tires, I agreed.

Back