Removing the Carwings OK. Somebody? Anybody? Nissan?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

It's becoming a Grind Point. After 13000 miles and 8 months... it looks like I'm closing in on having pushed this thing 2000 times. What do I have to do to remove this from the start up routine. I like carwings. I like the car. This think makes me angry.

No solution in sight...Discussed a bunch on the forum in the past...Many are just choosing to ignore the Yes/No buttons to make a point....

I find it to be a safety issue. I notice it when pulling out and the button is so small at times I miss it and it is a distraction. It is very silly since when driving you can hit other buttons that distract but not the ones you need. Why they did not add more voice commands over the two there just makes no sense. I they even added one more voice command I wish it were "ok" so I could agree by speaking rather than hitting that button. Soon there will be a dent on the screen in that spot from wear. Te range button is useless as well unless you like to see a picture of your state,

smkettner said:
I am holding out for the subscription expiration at three years. If if if it goes away it could add some value to used Leafs vs new ;)

If that were to solve the problem they why not ask for it to be shut off. I bet that does not get rid of the box, ever. If unsubscribing to CW got rid of the OK button I would do it tomorrow!

thankyouOB said:
angry?
honestly, i dont like it. i push it. it goes away for the entire drive.
i dont see the anger.

Anger? I paid 35K for this thing and I have one little software issue that nags me EVERY DAY and Nissan just takes a pass? It can't be harder to change than the open door chime. Seriously, I've become a troll on this thing. I talk this car up to anyone who will listen and then point this thing out and say... "But don't buy one if they haven't changed this, it will drive you mental." I will trade this thing in for a 2013 or a Tesla just to get away from this.

Do these bother you also:

1. pushing the Unlock Door button,
2. pressing the brake pedal,
3. pushing the ON button
4. shifting onto D, R, or ECO "range",
5. Releasing the Brake pedal,
6. Pressing the "go-faster" pedal,
7. OOPS, forgot to open the garage door ... :(

garygid said:

3. pushing the ON button

The difference is I need to press those to make the car work or I can turn them to Automatic. The button in Question is not needed.

Hedge

There is a brute force solution that would pretty clearly work. I've got all the parts, but when it came down to it, it was too brute force and tacky for me to want to implement it. If you are bothered by it that much, you might prefer this to pushing the OK button.

A micro servo can be double sticky taped to the console just below the touch screen. Attached to the servo horn is a stiff wire about 1.5 inches long. It has a 90 degree bend about a quarter of an inch from the end of the wire. The servo is connected by a three conductor cable to a small servo controller which can be hidden in the dash if you are adventurous or attached to a cigarette lighter type connector plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. That socket only has power when the car is on.

Here is how it works. The servo spends almost all of its time with the stiff wire pointing down, nearly touching the console between the mode and auto buttons. The controller has a power on script that rotates the servo nearly 180 degrees so the tip of the wire presses the OK button. It then reverses a bit and then presses the button a second time (in case there is a blue tooth connection message). It then rotates 180 degrees back to its normal resting position and stays there until the next time the power comes on.

The micro servo I have requires about 4.8 Volts to operate and the controller accepts anything between 5 and 16, so in addition to the parts mentioned above, a 5 V regulator would also be needed. A cigarette lighter to USB adapter might work for this purpose.

In addition to being tacky, it is likely to get broken when cleaning the inside of the car. But if someone REALLY hates pressing the button, this is an amusing way to fix it.

EVDRIVER said:
I find it to be a safety issue. I notice it when pulling out and the button is so small at times I miss it and it is a distraction. It is very silly since when driving you can hit other buttons that distract but not the ones you need.

This may be the way to prod Nissan to change it.. report it as a safety issue to the Feds. It has to be a bigger problem for the older geezers among us.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garygid said:

3. pushing the ON button
#1 and #4 do, yes, because they are unnecessary and distracting extra actions -- just like the OK.

The Prius does #1 right. Just touch the door handle and it unlocks. Several times I've pushed the LEAF button only to have it tell me "Beep, beep. Gotcha! You just locked the door when you meant to unlock it. Hee, hee." Our Prius never does that to me.

On #4, of course you have to tell the car whether you want to go forward or backward, but why do I have to tell it twice if I want to use what they claim is the ECO mode?

Ray

Well it doesn't exactly make me mad.. but is sure is annoying to have to hit it every time. Sure I can just hit the ok.. but why have a car that does something to make you annoyed every single day. Why do the lawyers always seem to win over common sense?

-Peter

I agree that it is irritating because it is so unnecessary.

I just always hit one of the buttons on the steering wheel. that is the same as clicking the "no" button. I still have to click something but this is easier than touching the screen and probably less wearing on the system in the long run.

garygid said:
What buttons on the steering wheel work to "reject" the Carwings screen?
Thanks

I just press the top button on the left side of the stearing wheel. The one that brings up the driving range map. That clears up the yes/no prompt.

Back