New Anxiety? - Charger Availability ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spindoctor

So - made two trips this week already to OAK airport for quick So.Cal. down and back business trips. On Monday, I was the only EV for the 8 chargers both on arrival and when I returned.

Arrived at 6:50 a.m. today to find 7 LEAFs already plugged in and charging. Holy C$@p! Took the last spot and plugged in. When I returned at 4pm - all 7 were STILL there and plugged in.

To say the least, this has created a bit of anxiety about future availability. I can't get to the airport and back without charging (not sure if L1 would be sufficient) and those 8 are the only chargers in the area. While I'm glad to see so many EV's in the area, I'm beginning to wonder if I dare continue to chance driving my LEAF to the airport of if I'll have to take the wife's ICE just to make sure I can get home.

Anyone else experiencing "charger anxiety?"

I have as well. There are two chargers at work, and five EVs. It's a crapshoot whether I get dibs or not, so coming back on "---" is exciting. So far, I've been able to locate an owner and get some juice, but yeah..

Charger Anxiety. I try to avoid it by packing enough to get home, but sometimes you gotta make it all work.

Yeah, it's always good to have a back up plan when you're pushing past the 50% mark. For OAK, there are other chargers in the lot and a private lot on Doolittle. (there's another thread on this here)

I prefer driving my ICE car if there is no plan B, for which I usually consider Nissan dealerships which there are plenty here in SoCal. If you do run out of juice you have roadside assistance from Nissan, they will tow you to closest Nissan dealership with a charger. This is all annoying, but hey, you knew all this before you purchased the Leaf, right?

I can definitely understand that. 2012 is going to see the introduction of more plug-in hybrids and EVs and the following years even more. We currently enjoy rockstar parking at the movie theater thanks for the single Coulomb charger and the fact that there are only 1 or 2 Leafs and 1 Volt in our area (NorCal - Walnut Creek). But I can imagine that it won't be too long until that luxury will be first-come-first-serve.

I haven't driven anywhere that I can't drive back from. Sad too because I'd love to drive places that are further with the Leaf. We can only pray for more chargers to spring up.

EricBayArea said:
I haven't driven anywhere that I can't drive back from. Sad too because I'd love to drive places that are further with the Leaf. We can only pray for more chargers to spring up.
In San Diego it looks like the EV Project is finally beginning to get some chargers installed. This Spring we will have good/bad news. Many of the charging locations that are now free will start to charge for charging, and Blink Network will add a reservation capability like Coulomb has now.

I think this will signal the end of our "free lunch" but also the end of our famine, and when we need a charge we will be more likely to be able to charge. Charging spots will be much less likely to be occupied by people who don't really need a charge, but hey, if it's there and it's free, why not? They'll be less likely to be occupied by people who probably don't need a charge, but since you never know for sure whether you'll ever be able to find another charger you'd better top off just in case. And in cases where the charging fee is higher, mile for mile, than the price of gasoline, you won't see any Volts or plug-in Priuses.

Best of all, the long awaited quick chargers look like they will finally arrive. With the capability to quickly fill up if needed, people will be much more comfortable leaving their cars with a partial charge when it seems most likely to be all that is needed.

walterbays said:
And in cases where the charging fee is higher, mile for mile, than the price of gasoline, you won't see any Volts or plug-in Priuses.

But you still may see an ICE car blocking the only charger you had on your way home that you needed for a quick couple of kWh.

Valdemar said:
But you still may see an ICE car blocking the only charger you had on your way home that you needed for a quick couple of kWh.
True, though with some dollars at stake charging station owners may be quicker to tow. Too bad AB475 passed, or we could have a workable and uniform statewide law to make EV parking enforcement much easier. Now the best we can hope for is patchwork regulation, city by city, property owner by property owner. Because if a parking lot is signed for AB475 it is not safe to park and charge there. It may be better just to call the tow truck yourself, because at least then it's a free tow to Nissan instead of an expensive tow to a remote impound lot.

The situation is really bad for disabled EV drivers though. Although most parking lots with chargers have one disabled accessible (lower) EVSE, all the parking spaces I've seen are marked only for handicap parking, and not for EV charging. They should be marked for both, and ideally located adjacent to a regular EV charging space sharing the EVSE between the two spaces. So only if someone is disabled and driving an EV should they be able to park in that space. As it is, those spaces are always occupied by ICE vehicles with handicap stickers. So a disabled EV driver couldn't use the one ICEd space supposedly designated for him/her, couldn't use any of the other available regular EVSE spaces, and couldn't charge in any of the other available non-EVSE handicap spaces.

Spindoctor said:
So - made two trips this week already to OAK airport for quick So.Cal. down and back business trips. On Monday, I was the only EV for the 8 chargers both on arrival and when I returned.

Arrived at 6:50 a.m. today to find 7 LEAFs already plugged in and charging. Holy C$@p! Took the last spot and plugged in. When I returned at 4pm - all 7 were STILL there and plugged in.

To say the least, this has created a bit of anxiety about future availability. I can't get to the airport and back without charging (not sure if L1 would be sufficient) and those 8 are the only chargers in the area. While I'm glad to see so many EV's in the area, I'm beginning to wonder if I dare continue to chance driving my LEAF to the airport of if I'll have to take the wife's ICE just to make sure I can get home.

For OAK specifically, you might consider Expresso parking. They have several (4?) L2 chargers in their indoor parking area. It means a shuttle ride, but it may be a space you can reserve.

Expresso parking has free charging at the OAK airport if you do valet for $15 a day i believe so they can swap cars to the station,

Yep, Expresso was my back up but it would have been close on making my flight. You do have to valet inside park it but that's the trade-off for a free charge. They do rotate cars.

As more and more EV's roll out does this mean that we will have to see some locations go to a reservation system? And charge you if you fail to show up for your reservation?

4 charging spaces... ZEV only... But "all ICEd up"... :evil:
ZEV-fail.jpg

I agree this is becoming an issue. My last day trip out of SFO, all 3 L3 charging station in the International mid-term garages (A&G) were taken (International garage is ~$24/day parking), even though when I left home there were still availability. While the chargers in the other short-term garage (~$30/day) was still showing available, it means I'll have to exit the international garage, and re-park in the shorter garage. I couldn't do that as I've already wasted 15min driving around looking for chargers.

SFO needs to add more charging stations in Garage A and G.

oh, and I ended just parking in regular parking. When I came back from my trip at 11pm, I had to drive 50mph on 101 without heat and barely made it back in turtle.

Charger anxiety indeed.

Unless public chargers can be reserved in advance, and can be relied on to be available they are useless for anything but casual charging.

My concern is a bit different - who maintains the Blink chargers that have been installed in public parking areas (currently no cost)?

I was in Port Orchard today, coming down from Kingston on my way to Shelton (I had already driven some distance before taking the Ferry over to Kingston). Fortunately there were 2 Blink units because one wouldn't connect to my car. The card swipe worked fine but I think something is wrong with the connector - bent or ? I drove around to the other side of the parking lot and used unit 2. So I agree, there is not only the concern about availability, but also about operational status.

TEG said:
4 charging spaces... ZEV only... But "all ICEd up"... :evil:
"Wal, I ain't never heerd'a no company called "ZEV", so they cain't be all that important. Maybe some night I'll sneak in thar and paint MY initials on a space. Afore then I'll jist pretend they's hired me."

Seriously, what do you suppose ZEV means to 98% of the population?

Ray

cfl said:
Unless public chargers can be reserved in advance, and can be relied on to be available they are useless for anything but casual charging.

Unless they are DC or other fast chargers, at dedicated charge stations, rather than at public parking spaces.

You will not need a reservation there, any more than you do at a gas station, now.

Which is why most L2 public charging, other than where the space can be restricted to a paying AND charging customer, is largely a waste of public, and private, resources, for BEVs, IMO.

ya, i have it. went to Dept of Ecology to plug in a week ago. there are 3 or 4 stations there (for nearly a year there was only one so cant remember what is there now) but have never seen many plugged in. i am relatively certain there is additional charging for employees only since the State owns Leafs as well

but the other day, they were all full except one. now, i had no business there. was going to Jungle Jim's across the Street but another charger a bit closer was already taken

but i live in town and was only plugging in to get free juice as part of an experiment to see how well i could adjust if i had to plug in (saved me from pluggin in at home up to 6 day stretches)

but the demand for chargers shows several good things

1) demand. right now, i feel the slow rollout of QC's and such is due to demand and acceptance. a lot of FUD is causing an incorrect portrayal of the EV community right now.

case in point; the $100 tax legislation for all EVs in WA. i am ok with it on the level in that, i want to pay my fair share ($100 is a bit less than i feel i should pay) but it unfairly penalizes many people i know simply because they don t drive that much. One guy from Oly who has been petitioning businesses to provide charging stations FOR OVER A DECADE, owns 2 EVs both NEVs. both average 4,000 miles a year and both are used as daily commuters, so they dont sit very long. they do have one gas car they share between 3 adult drivers and it is parked most of the time.

but anyway, sidestepping a bit, but it does illustrate the massive misunderstanding over our thoughts, needs and desires.

but having a "shortage" of EVs still shows there is demand. both government and private business will see this and will come around. hopefully it wont take years of complaining before this happens

2) this situation i am hoping will bring the EV community together. lets all get on the same page as far as equitable sharing of stations including proper station placement.

around here, i see the State buildings generally have it right. the Dept of Ecology, each station services two parking spaces which was my savior. i parked next to another Leaf that was not plugged in, so guessing he got what he needed and disconnected. there was another pair of Leafs farther down. one was plugged in but down charging. so dont know if the next one needed to be plugged in or had already completed charging. his charge door was not open though so not a lot to do on that but if had signage available to advise of status, that would be very helpful

i see a business even in that. a company gaining traction on a design concept that is color coded would allow EV'ers to know the status from a glance at a distance.

now, all this seems a bit far fetched and ya, requires a lot of cooperation on several different levels. but its either we are here to do whatever we can to make it work for now or struggle more than we need to if we dont

3) back to that "for now" statement; in 3-5 years, i think this discussion we still be here but on a much different level. cars will be integrated into any networked charger so guessing will not be an issue.

i envision the ability for the car to be smart enough to find say the 3 closest stations AND provide status like;

"in use but expected charge completion in less than an hour"
"in use, but disconnect authorized"
"in use but disconnect authorized after 2 PM"

get the picture?? all this will happen if we demonstrate the need (ie; bitch and moan!)

the alternative install millions of chargers and that will happen too, but we will have hundreds of millions of EVs by then... :eek:

DaveinOlyWA said:
3) back to that "for now" statement; in 3-5 years, i think this discussion we still be here but on a much different level. cars will be integrated into any networked charger so guessing will not be an issue.

i envision the ability for the car to be smart enough to find say the 3 closest stations AND provide status like;

"in use but expected charge completion in less than an hour"
"in use, but disconnect authorized"
"in use but disconnect authorized after 2 PM"

get the picture?? all this will happen if we demonstrate the need (ie; bitch and moan!)

the alternative install millions of chargers and that will happen too, but we will have hundreds of millions of EVs by then... :eek:

And this could've been somewhat feasible today using the LEAF's RSS feed system had people not panicked that its sending GPS location information to the server was somehow a breach of privacy.

Oh ya definitely. There is no technology to invent.

As areas gather several chargers ask running on the same substation, networking need with capacity will be required to protect against the possibility of a dozen plugging in at the same time

Back