Where are the charging stations?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertDenizen

CarWings on my Leaf shows 4 charging stations, yet I know of several others in the Tucson area. Where does one find a definitive list of all area charging stations? thank you

Here are some resources that should be helpful to you.

http://carstations.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.blinknetwork.com/locator.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mychargepoint.net/find-stations.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting, each of the sites as one or more of the stations, but none has them all. Growing pains I guess. And thank you for your assistance! I charge my Leaf with my photovoltaic system, but it would be nice to top if off while I am out.

DesertDenizen said:
Interesting, each of the sites as one or more of the stations, but none has them all. Growing pains I guess. And thank you for your assistance! I charge my Leaf with my photovoltaic system, but it would be nice to top if off while I am out.

The lack of a definitive list is frustrating.

My favorite right now is plugshare, drawing on crowd sourced data we are in control of what is listed, so hopefully it can be fairly accurate as more drivers contribute to it. I think plugshare is the only crowd sourced app that runs on both iPhone and Android.

Correct me if you know better.

JPWhite said:
I think plugshare is the only crowd sourced app that runs on both iPhone and Android. Correct me if you know better.
EV Chargermaps is good too. They don't have an app, it's browser only, and very California centric. Notably, they have the current status for all COSTCO charging stations I used to frequent. PlugShare does not seem to have this information.

And to clarify for people who may not understand this, with the Plugshare app you can make your own home charger findable and available to other EV owners. This is very cool but also a little scary. Right now my enthusiasm gets the better of me so I have my house listed but at some future date I may retract it. It can also act as a bit of a social network as I see someone listed in the next town over and I plan to call them and get acquainted so if I ever need a charge before I get home I won't seem a complete stranger.

planet4ever said:
But .. but .. but .. they don't seem to have any J1772 stations listed. Am I doing something wrong?

Ray

That's odd. There are L2 stations listed here in Tennessee. There should be two icons, one for public stations and one for private. Click on a public station or three, it should give more info about the station. Click the info balloon and it gives you all info on the station. Some may change J1772 to read something else when adding the station for the first time.

People can add standard 120 outlets on the map, so you may find some of those as you look around.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/locator/stations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was some earlier discussion at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=109154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

http://openchargemap.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JPWhite said:
planet4ever said:
But .. but .. but .. they don't seem to have any J1772 stations listed. Am I doing something wrong?
That's odd. There are L2 stations listed here in Tennessee.
Oh, yes, I see lots of L2 stations in California - Inductive and Avcon and some Tesla - but no J1772, in fact no J1772 anywhere in the whole country.

JPWhite said:
Some may change J1772 to read something else when adding the station for the first time.
So, are you saying the map is useless unless I also ask for the other types and then go through and click on them one by one? I did look at the six that were listed as OC for San jose, and one indeed had comments mentioning J1772. (One other was at a Costco, and had a comment saying it was gone, even though the balloon was still green.)

Actually, when I mark all categories and look at Tennessee I still see nothing except one balloon in Nashville at 120 20th Avenue South, which says "3 other, all working." Clearly I must be doing something wrong.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Actually, when I mark all categories and look at Tennessee I still see nothing except one balloon in Nashville at 120 20th Avenue South, which says "3 other, all working." Clearly I must be doing something wrong.

Ray

Maybe you should uninstall and reinstall the app.

My charger at home shows I have a J1772 type charger. I added Goodlettsville library myself near Nashville TN. It shows as J1772.

planet4ever said:
Ray, you have a point and the site would benefit from an overhaul, but it doesn't look like the owner is inclined to do it. I simply stopped filtering by charger type. Instead, I let the map show all the stations and once I found a location of interest, I use user comments on the right side of the page to get more information. Little by little, legacy stations are being upgraded to J1772s and I found the comments section to be pretty reliable about this sort of information.

It looks like several of us purchased an Avcon adapter. It's bit of hassle, not to mention an additional expense, but I'm getting good use out of it.

Click to enlarge

surfingslovak said:
planet4ever said:
Ray, you have a point and the site would benefit from an overhaul, but it doesn't look like the owner is inclined to do it. I simply stopped filtering by charger type. Instead, I let the map show all the stations and once I found a location of interest, I use user comments on the right side of the page to get more information. Little by little, legacy stations are being upgraded to J1772s and I found the comments section to be pretty reliable about this sort of information.

It looks like several of us purchased an Avcon adapter. It's bit of hassle, not to mention an additional expense, but I'm getting good use out of it.

Click to enlarge

OK we've been talking cross purposes. Neither of us is insane :)

I'm speaking of plugshare, the conversation seems to have moved onto evchargermaps.com, which is sparse to say the least.

So back to my original point, plugshare seems better than most :).

Ah, that explains it. Here is my original post. The quote from surfingslovak got lost in subsequent posts.
planet4ever said:
surfingslovak said:
EV Chargermaps is good too. They don't have an app, it's browser only, and very California centric. Notably, they have the current status for all COSTCO charging stations I used to frequent.

That also explains your comment that I found puzzling about reinstalling an app. I don't have any kind of smart phone, so I can't use PlugShare (at least not yet -- they keep promising).

Ray

I browse the charger site apps to keep track of charge site status in my area. A new site in Redondo Beach showed up on CarStations south of LAX. So I went to google maps to see where. Interesting "Street View" on google.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

KeiJidosha said:
I browse the charger site apps to keep track of charge site status in my area. A new site in Redondo Beach showed up on CarStations south of LAX. So I went to google maps to see where. Interesting "Street View" on google.

Must be a fairly recent street view, certainly in the last year.

PlugShare now has web-browser access (still testing, but you can ask for the link).

Also, there was just an announcement that their database now shows ChargePoint and Blink (and other) "e-locs".

I saw that one also when testing the latest iPhone app version of Carstations. It is right on my "commute" though I would never need public charging on that run since it is so close to home base. It is from Bink and one thing I don't like about Bink sites is they don't detail if they are free or charge. So unless you know, I was going to check it out this week and report.

KeiJidosha said:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back