Yodrak
Delivery Date: 12 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402954

Re: EV Reserved Parking Spots violators

Tue May 31, 2011 12:10 pm

Definitely. Printed on a sheet of heavy paper with full adhesive backing. At the driver's eye level.

jcesare wrote:Put a copy of this on the windshield.
http://www.evchargernews.com/parkingnotice.htm
Khun Yodrak
2013 SL

TEG

Tue May 31, 2011 12:12 pm

jwatte wrote:In Palo Alto, the two I know of (High street garage; City hall garage) are never taken by anything else. AFAICT because Palo Alto views parking ticketing as their main revenue source :-) (They are quite often taken by Leaf, Volt and Teslas, though -- and I once saw a homemade conversion)

Leafs and Teslas in those spots is not nice to the Rav4EVs and Ford Rangers since the EVSE are still using small paddle and Avcon. The signage says parking while charging, not just any EV. So unless you are in need of a charge, and capable of charging in those spots you shouldn't use them.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Tue May 31, 2011 12:18 pm

The only way to enforce parking is with a tow truck... or maybe a boot. Everything else is just pi**ing in the wind.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

Harv

Tue May 31, 2011 12:57 pm

MsLusty wrote:

Do you have the ZEV decal issued by the DMV designating your car as acceptable according to California VC section 22511?

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22511.htm

I don't think I've seen any of these decals, but I haven't been looking.

I received mine about 2 weeks ago.
Last edited by Harv on Tue May 31, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Granite Bay (Sacramento, CA)
LEAFing since 3/9/11.
License Plate GAS ZRO

LTLFTcomposite

Tue May 31, 2011 1:21 pm

Yodrak wrote:Definitely. Printed on a sheet of heavy paper with full adhesive backing. At the driver's eye level.

You've gotta be kidding. The guy who drives that car:

a) spends more than that for lunch
b) knows how to get the ticket fixed
c) knows odds are he won't get caught

Your only hope of getting even is to key the car. With so much video surveillance these days that isn't as good an idea as it used to be.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra

earther
Delivery Date: 22 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 0922

Tue May 31, 2011 1:58 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:
Yodrak wrote:Definitely. Printed on a sheet of heavy paper with full adhesive backing. At the driver's eye level.

Your only hope of getting even is to key the car. With so much video surveillance these days that isn't as good an idea as it used to be.

Well, vandalism isn't my style (not to mention mean and illegal), but if I were truly feeling mischievous I might consider moving the gasoline from their fuel tank to a (not easily poured) container so that they know first hand the inconvenience of being stranded :-o
Alternatively, if I were desperate for fuel and the traffic aisles of the garage wide enough, I might consider parking *behind* the ICE and stretching the EVSE nozzle to reach my Leaf. If I happen to arrive back before they do, then no harm no foul; and if they return before me, well, I guess they have to wait (doubtful they'd dare trying to tow me, given the situation!)... though nice guy that I am, I'd probably leave a note with my cell number on the ICE so they could call me to move my EV if needed.

ElectricVehicle
Delivery Date: 18 Jul 2011

Tue May 31, 2011 2:09 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:

Vandalism or keying is definitely not the answer. That just escalates the situation. Imagine if all the gasoline drivers start keying our LEAFs because they resent the change to Electric Cars? Since some disputes over parkinig spaces sometimes escalate to fist fights, if your caught in the act, it could VERY nasty quickly. And if one of those involved has a weapon of some sort....

We need to encourage people to get along, see the option of electric, and have them pick that if it's rigth for them. We don't want to start confrontations between gas vs. electric for any reason.

The thing to do is to notify the property owner that a gas car is parked in the EV space and ask them to please address it, as you needed to use it and it was not available.
Blue Nissan Leaf SL+QC rsrvd 4/21/10 order 11/24/10 delivered 5/29/11 (Apr May Jun Jul Jun May Jun) Polar Bear Hug 12/11/2010
1999 Green GM EV1, 7.2kW Solar Electric (PV); 2002 RAV4 EV; Carbon Neutral since 2010
It's time to LEAF! LEAF Oil behind!

LTLFTcomposite

Tue May 31, 2011 2:39 pm

ElectricVehicle wrote:Vandalism or keying is definitely not the answer. That just escalates the situation. Imagine if all the gasoline drivers start keying our LEAFs because they resent the change to Electric Cars? Since some disputes over parkinig spaces sometimes escalate to fist fights, if your caught in the act, it could VERY nasty quickly. And if one of those involved has a weapon of some sort....

We need to encourage people to get along, see the option of electric, and have them pick that if it's rigth for them. We don't want to start confrontations between gas vs. electric for any reason.

The thing to do is to notify the property owner that a gas car is parked in the EV space and ask them to please address it, as you needed to use it and it was not available.

No, vandalism isn't the answer. But good luck getting the driver of the merc or the SUV to "see" anything... and the property owner won't want to get involved, particularly if it's a retail place they avoid conflict at all cost.

I stand by my assertion that unless EV charging spots are in the least desirable locations, not the most, you can expect to see this happening all the time, at least if they are on private property. If it's public space and you have aggressive enforcement with boots and tow trucks you might stand a chance.

Ever see parking wars on A&E? It's tough to watch for any length of time as it's mostly trailer trash yelling at each other, but in cities where they crack the whip you might stand a chance of seeing some enforcement, but even then, people rack up parking tickets right and left. It's a losing battle.
LTL

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Tue May 31, 2011 7:19 pm

MsLusty wrote:Do you have the ZEV decal issued by the DMV designating your car as acceptable according to California VC section 22511?

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22511.htm

I don't think I've seen any of these decals, but I haven't been looking.

OK, I finally found the form to fill out here:
http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg4048.pdf

Maybe I'm just being cheap, but am I going to get anything worthwhile for my $17? Are these needed anywhere in the Bay Area?

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

jcesare
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1290

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:45 am

planet4ever wrote:Maybe I'm just being cheap, but am I going to get anything worthwhile for my $17? Are these needed anywhere in the Bay Area?

$17 for the life of the vehicle seems quite reasonable. As EVs become more popular and the public charging infrastucture grows, expect to see a lot more public EV only parking spaces. It won't take cities long to figure out that ticketing offenders is an nice income stream.
Leaf eTec Blue Ocean
Reserved 6/25/10
EVProject approved 1/06/11
Blink EVSE Installed 4/6/11 (Separate meter, ethernet connection)
Ordered 1/25/11 Delivered 4/20/2011

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”