$99 Reservation Refund Going to Cancelled Credit Card

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Long4Leaf

Has anyone had this problem yet? I cancelled the credit card I used for the $99 deposit and no longer have a credit card with that bank. I got the email that the deposit had been credited back to the card but the account does not exist anymore. It was a new problem for CS and they told me they are looking into it, but have not heard back.

Long4Leaf said:
Has anyone had this problem yet? I cancelled the credit card I used for the $99 deposit and no longer have a credit card with that bank. I got the email that the deposit had been credited back to the card but the account does not exist anymore. It was a new problem for CS and they told me they are looking into it, but have not heard back.
I'm at least mildly surprised you're the first one...you certainly won't be the last. A year is a long time to wait before refunding something back to a card.

My $99 refund was correctly applied to my new credit card number. The old card that was charged the original deposit had been cancelled due to theft, and the Nissan refund was applied correctly to my new card. Nothing to worry about...

Same here -- it took them a while (2 weeks from the time I received the email that the refund was credited back) -- but I got it to my new credit card .
Randy said:
My $99 refund was correctly applied to my new credit card number. The old card that was charged the original deposit had been cancelled due to theft, and the Nissan refund was applied correctly to my new card. Nothing to worry about...

Randy said:

Nothing to worry about? You don't bank with BofA do you? ;)
I received the email note of the refund today and I to have had my card replaced since the deposit.
How long did you have to wait to see it as a refund on your new card? (I'll give it a couple weeks as noted on an earlier post)
I like your optimism.

I did not have the card replaced. I cancelled the card altogether and no longer have any account at that bank. Do you think they will do a bank-to-bank transfer?

Nissan CS told me that they could not apply the refund to a different card (old one cancelled and replaced), so they'd be sending me a check instead.

Long4Leaf said:
Perhaps you should contact the bank and find out if there is a credit on the account and how they handle credits to closed accounts.

DeaneG said:
Nissan CS told me that they could not apply the refund to a different card (old one cancelled and replaced), so they'd be sending me a check instead.

I contacted CS Chat again today (they did try to contact me by phone yesterday, but I missed them). I supposed I should not be surprised, but Nissan CS told me something different (transcript of my chat):

You have been connected to Nissan CS.
Nissan CS: Thank you for contacting Nissan LEAF Customer Support, my name is Nissan CS. How may I help you today?.
Long4leaf: Hi Nissan CS. Pamela was working on a problem I have with getting my $99 refund back. CS called yesteday, but I missed it, so I am contacting CS to see if it has been resolved.
Nissan CS: What kind of problems are you having with getting your $99?
Long4leaf: I hope Pamela is there to explain. But to repeat...
Long4leaf: The card I used was cancelled so the refund could not be made to that credit card. I no longer have an account with that bank.
Nissan CS: What your are going to have to do is your going to have to contact that bank and see if the $99 was credited back on to your old account.
Long4leaf: The old account is closed. There is no account.
Nissan CS: Have you contacted your bank?
Long4leaf: No, I have not contacted the bank.
Long4leaf: I closed the account last summer. I don't even have the old account number any more. Can you provide me with the account number?
Nissan CS: I do not have that information at this time.
Long4leaf: OK........
Long4leaf: Let's assume I contact the bank and they tell me there was no $99 credit on record for me. What should I do then?
Nissan CS: Please check with your bank first to see if they have received the $99, if not you can contact us at 1-877-664-2738 and we will be able to provide you with the transaction I.D.
Long4leaf: OK. Thanks.

Nissan CS is working hard to improve and be more proactive. I recieved an unsolicited phone call today from Pamela (who has been very helpful all along) and my refund issue has been resolved. A communication brakedown caused the confusion with the chat I had yesterday, but koodos for CS catching this and correcting the miscommunication. There is now at least one more happy customer and one less frustrated customer. Hope they keep up the good work.

I also hope Nissan continues to improve on empowing their CS organizaiton (contractor if it is one) and to give them access to more information to support the customers and allow CS to give informed responces in a timely manner.

i am sure u will receive check from CC company. trust me, patience is the key along with persistence. having dealt with "out of the box" financial transactions on the processing side, i am willing to venture it will take 30+ days.

in systems i am familiar with, misapplied transactions, transfered or reassigned accounts to ACTIVE accounts usually took several additional forms to be filed but were resolved in 2-3 business days. for closed accounts, the process was the same, but usually took 30-45 days.

I just had the same experience as the OP, but slightly different reason: My credit union dropped VISA and went to Mastercard, so I'm at the same bank, but with a different card.

Got the refund email, and went "Uh-oh...better go check this out..."

Unlike the OP, I did call my CU first to see if they were automagically still managing to route transactions from one card to another. I know that payments fail, as that CC number stored in some online locales has failed. The CU rep said no, that account is dead and there is no linkage, I'd need to go back to the refunder and ask for a check or a credit on a different CC.

Nissan CS chat gave me the same routine as the OP got: "Go to your bank, they have your money". Me: "I did, they don't". CS: "You need to get the money from your bank".

Harrumph.

Hope I get a call back like the OP did. Apparently, it wasn't a learning experience for them. :(

Randy said:
Same thing happened to me with my Amex card. I just checked and the new card had the $99 credited.

If it were me I would check with the party that held the canceled card first. But from reading this thread it appears that Nissan will send you a check eventually.

jimcmorr said:
If it were me I would check with the party that held the canceled card first. But from reading this thread it appears that Nissan will send you a check eventually.

By "held", do you mean "issued"? Did that--my credit union. They told me to go back to whomever was trying to give me a credit and get a check instead.

6/6/11, LEAF delivered.

6/13/11, received 'Nissan LEAF: Reservation Fee Refund' email.

However, the credit card acct. that was used for $99 reservation fee has since been replaced due to security/theft issues.

7/12/11, $99 refund credited to my replacement CC account (29 days later).

Nissan comes through .... :p

I'm going to run into this soon. The Fidelity Amex card that was billed for my deposit will be canceled within 7 days due to some compromise at some undisclosed 3rd party location. I found out about this when I received a new card today.

I'd imagine I'm getting it back eventually, one way or another (either I buy/lease or back out).

Hope it goes smoothly...

cwerdna said:
I'm going to run into this soon. The Fidelity Amex card that was billed for my deposit will be canceled within 7 days due to some compromise at some undisclosed 3rd party location. I found out about this when I received a new card today.
I had the same thing happen with my Amex card. When the refund came in, it was credited to my current Amex account.

In general, as long as your issuer replaced the card with a new account number, credits to the old number will automatically be transferred to the new account.

Obviously, if you cancel the account and open a new account separately, that is a different matter.

Back