Has anyone "run out of electricity" yet?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

I realize it would have to be an intentional and/or idiotic act, and I'm not suggesting anyone try it.

I keep reading BEV critics posting variations on the "these things will be running out of power on the freeway and stopping traffic" rant. But I haven't seen any road test report what actually happens if you just keep driving past all the warnings until the LEAF acts to protect the battery. I'm surprised it hasn't been tried yet-or did I miss it?

Does it just stop? Continually reduce power? Or does it have some shut-down warning -like deliver a "Pull over you moron, this car will stop in 30 seconds", or maybe "your battery warranty is now void" message first?

Considering the other efforts being made to make BEV's "fool-proof", I expect Nissan may have had their Lawyers take some time to sort out liability issues on this question.

I don't think anyone has completely run out yet. Jimmydreams, I think, got it well into turtle mode, and I think the car slowed to something like 35mph during the very last part of his journey. But he was able to get home without it coming to a complete halt.

According to the owners manual, when to get too low the car will enter a low power (turtle mode) to make sure you can get off the road safely. There's also a warning light. But if you past that? Probably the same as a gas car...

I did go to Turtle Mode just for fun one afternoon.

You get a Low Battery warning around 15-19 miles remaining on the mileage display.

Somewhere around 6-8 miles remaining, the miles remaining will change to three dashes "---".

About a few miles after that (2-3? complete guess since I wasn't taking notes), you get Turtle Mode, and power is reduced to everything, including the drive motor. I floored the car and was only able to get to about 35mph. It was like ECO mode for ECO mode. :twisted: I drove less than 1/4 mile to my house under Turtle Mode, and CARWINGS reported 0% charge remaining and 2 miles remaining.

YMMV.

The good thing about the Leaf is that when you hit Turtle Mode, you can still safely pull off the highway/road and continue a little ways (1-2 miles? who knows) with steering and braking unaffected. But an ICE will kill your power steering, power brakes, and you're left with forward momentum ONLY as a means of safely getting off the road.

I'll take Turtle Mode any day. ;)

Yes. I've read what happens up to "turtle". I was asking about "post-turtle" performance.

I'm a little surprised no LEAF press reviewer has tried it.

Again, not suggesting anyone here try it with their car.

Nissan knows, I'm sure. I wouldn't be surprised if competing auto Manufacturers have gotten their hands on a LEAF and tried it also.

smkettner said:
I thought I read someplace that if it completely stops you can turn it off and back on and get another 100 yards or something.

I read this too somewhere. Although I heard you could get something more like 3-4 miles once you did the turn off/turn on routine. I'm sure someone will find out eventually by running around with a generator in a parking lot until the car won't give one more inch and then charge off the generator for an hour to get back to a charge station.

I will try this out as soon as it's convenient by driving laps around my neighborhood. My car will be here next week!

Well, when the world premier of this car happened in Lisbon last year and for journalists only, I remember reading the report of one portuguese journalist that did make it stop completly, he did have to call for a tow truck.
Irony of this, it stoped near a petrol station...

I think the car made about 117 KMs (72.5 miles) and stoped, after some Kms made in turtle mode, this was reported as well...

This report was a little "not friendly" for the Leaf by my personal judgment and I felt this journalist was a little bit "petrol head", if you know what I mean... you may imagine the driving style of this test drive...

Regards.

not sure when turtle mode happens but on my 122 mile journey, i went to ___ range at about 7 miles left but still managed to drive another 4+ miles. i dont know if i ever hit turtle mode since i was already at 35-40 mph. i did not try to punch it (wanted to get home!) but i did not notice any lack of power

DaveinOlyWA said:
not sure when turtle mode happens but on my 122 mile journey, i went to ___ range at about 7 miles left but still managed to drive another 4+ miles. i dont know if i ever hit turtle mode since i was already at 35-40 mph. i did not try to punch it (wanted to get home!) but i did not notice any lack of power

It's easy because, when turtle mode happens, it shows a yeallow turtle right on the power panel and a message is shown in the touchscreen...

oh...did not notice. i not sure i made it to turtle then. maybe estimated range has to be zero. mine would have been around 2-3 miles left by the time i got home

I have seen a TV report in France about a test of the Citroen C0 (twin sister of Mitsubishi iMiev).
They reached "turtle mode", then they go on.
The car finish to stop, as a "petrol" car.

I came close on Saturday. I made it to my freeway exit with a range of 18 miles and 3 bars showing. Normally, due to the climb from my exit to my house, my range decreases about 16 miles over the 2.5 mile distance and I lose between 1 and 2 bars. I drove a bit more slowly (~25 instead of 40 mph) and smoothly all the way up and managed to make it with a range of 8 miles still showing and 2 bars lit. It was definitely a closer margin than I would've liked.

Has anyone had a feeling about rainy conditions cutting into their regen? I felt like the visual display of the regen was never quite as high on Saturday in all the rain as I'm normally used to along routes I drive frequently. Maybe it's something I'll keep an eye on.

While it may be regen than is contributing to reduced MPGs on rainy days,
my experience with my Prius with a ScanGauge is that the major cause of
such reductions is due to the tires lifting all the water that you see as mist
coming out of the wheel wells, and thrown under and up onto the car.

With even the smallest amount of moisture on the road surface, I see a
1 MPG reduction. As the depth of the standing water increases, so do
the MPG reductions. In a steady, heavy downpour, I see up to an
8 MPG reduction... these at commuting speeds between 35 and 50 MPH.

Sorry, don't know how to do conversions of these figures for the LEAF.

Well, if you are getting low, could this be the answer?
http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk/blog/index.php/2011/02/17/hydrogen-range-extender-could-double-drive-time-of-evs/
If the idea comes to fruition and the LEAF can be adapted to accommodate it, wouldn't it be great to be able to just top up the battery in this eco-friendly way? Bob

Back