Complaining : the dashboard clock

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gudy

So, the main screen clock is set from the GPS (I believe, cause you can't set it) ... but the dashboard clock has to be set manually ... the two were out of sync for about 3 minutes after a month and half ... It actually took me a while to realize that they were not set together ... and of course you can't set the clock while moving ...
I don't have many complaints about the car, but they should get this fixed with the next update.

gudy said:
So, the main screen clock is set from the GPS (I believe, cause you can't set it) ... but the dashboard clock has to be set manually ... the two were out of sync for about 3 minutes after a month and half ... It actually took me a while to realize that they were not set together ... and of course you can't set the clock while moving ...
I don't have many complaints about the car, but they should get this fixed with the next update.

If the dash is not linked to the other then there is noting they can do or fix on existing units other than let one manually change the GPS clock.

EVDRIVER said:
If the dash is not linked to the other then there is noting they can do or fix on existing units other than let one manually change the GPS clock.
I would have expected better... The dash display in modern cars is generated from the CAN buss (probably the low-speed one) which should be linked in with the NAV/entertainment system. (I would think it has to be, given the "zero emission" display information.) I don't see why they couldn't do it...

This should definitely go in "suggustions for Nissan". Given the plethora of time signals now available (GPS, cellular, WWVB, RDS, NTP, TV vertical interval, etc) there's very little reason just about any modern clock should not be self-setting.

EVDRIVER said:
Perhaps re-program it from clock display to SOC display?

I just cannot believe in this modern age that an electronic clock could be off a full minute evey two weeks.
<30 seconds in a whole year would be technology from the 70s. :roll:

Anyone else feel like lots of good technology has been taken for granted and lost in the new and better stuff?

Ha! That's funny. On my Nissan Murano forum this was a problem with the earlier Muranos (03-05 at least). Many people were reporting that the clock would either gain or lose a minute every week. For some people, it was completely accurate. Of course, taking it to Nissan to have it fixed under warranty always just resulted in them setting the time back to the proper time, not actually fixing the clock itself.

Yes, it's amazing that it appears to be so difficult to have a clock that is accurate. Apparently Nissan is still having difficulties figuring it out. Maybe they were just trying to cut costs, and they could pay $0.05 less with THIS clock rather than that OTHER clock.... :)

gudy said:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip
Looks like that's going to need a mod'ster going to work on it. Items not adjustable while moving are sometimes controlled by sensors/pickups built in/around the wheels ... often with modular plug connectors. Shouldn't be too hard to take care of that.
;)

I don't know why the upper display was not graphically generated like on many modern cars. If so everything would be linked and it could be changed with software over time or to change features, instruments, and scale if needed. Another cost issue. I have never owned a clock that inaccurate, must be some voltage issue or something.

blorg said:
Ha! That's funny. On my Nissan Murano forum this was a problem with the earlier Muranos (03-05 at least). Many people were reporting that the clock would either gain or lose a minute every week.
04 Murano. Check. Clock drift ~1 minute/week. Check.

KeiJidosha said:
blorg said:
Ha! That's funny. On my Nissan Murano forum this was a problem with the earlier Muranos (03-05 at least). Many people were reporting that the clock would either gain or lose a minute every week.
04 Murano. Check. Clock drift ~1 minute/week. Check.

I know some people that would help as long as it always added a minute each week:)

It's always good to have something to fix in the next year's model!

No car is perfect and no doubt as more Leafs get on the road there will be some major issues. So long as major problems like failing batteries are isolated and fixable and the widespread problems are minor (like this one), the Leaf will be a success.

It's a little expensive ($1500), but if Nissan insists that the dashboard clock must run from an internal reference, this device would fix the problem:
http://electronicdesign.com/article/communications/First-Commercially-Available-Atomic-Clock-Smaller-Lighter-And-More-Efficient-.aspx?cid=ed_newsletter&NL=1&YM_RID=#email

I'm hoping they'll instead just make the dashboard clock set automatically from the GPS in the NAV system.

I don't remember the $2 LCD watches that could run off a car battery for about 100 years being off a minute a month or even a year. My truck clock is always correct and I set it. I think this is all nonsense and if the clock is off a minute a week they should remove it. Sounds like cheap parts to me, all my non-gps linked car clocks work perfectly and accurately.

gudy said:

How does one set the dashboard clock...?

dpfeif said:
gudy said:

Hey....cut 'em some slack. A clock is a very complicated instrument. I had to set the dash clock in my 1957 Belair manually too! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

derkraut said:
Hey....cut 'em some slack. A clock is a very complicated instrument. I had to set the dash clock in my 1957 Belair manually too! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My 1970 mustang had an analog clock. Advance it and it sped up, pull it back and it adjusted slower. After a few adjustments it kept great time.
So have we gone backward 40+ years in time keeping :(

At least they are consistently bad! Mine is also running about 2 minutes fast a month. How could anyone possibly build an electronic clock this bad!

gudy said:

dpfeif said:
gudy said:

You CAN set both clocks (in a sense). Gudy was understandably new to his car when he originated this thread back in January. He probably knows how to do this now.

The main screen clock adjustment is reached by pressing the MENU button, then SETTINGS, then OTHERS, then CLOCK.
You can set the clock to the correct time zone and then you can adjust an "offset" by hours or minutes to make it match the dashboard clock.

To answer dpfeif's question, the dashboard clock is set by using the two upper buttons in the group of four located on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Scroll through the dash displays til you reach the one that has a CLOCK selection, then scroll through the options using the NEXT and ENTER buttons.

Which is handy because then you can make the GPS clock as inaccurate as the eyebrow clock! :lol:

Boomer23 said:
The main screen clock adjustment is reached by pressing the MENU button, then SETTINGS, then OTHERS, then CLOCK.
You can set the clock to the correct time zone and then you can adjust an "offset" by hours or minutes to make it match the dashboard clock.

Back