What's the expected battery life of a LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhumroo

I have a 2015 LEAF with 17K+ miles on it. Currently showing full bars. What's the expected life on the battery on these cars?

I've read people starting to lose bars in 3-5 years. Just trying to decide whether to buyout my lease and how long I can reasonably expect to keep driving the car if the battery capacity keeps dropping.

Another factor is Tire wear due to the weight of the vehicle. I had to replace tires at around 2-years and 12K. If I keep doing that every couple years, that's going to be a cost to factor in as well.

Thanks

The original Ecopia tires are crap, I also had mine wear out with less than 20k miles of easy driving. My replacement Ecopia + tires OTH have almost as many miles on them and still show little wear.

Post your location (and put it in your signature line) and we can better tell you if it would be worth buying out the lease. It really comes down to your climate: if it's usually hot, then don't own a Leaf. If it's generally cool or moderate, then owning a Leaf is ok.

Yep on what Leftie said.

Here are two extremes on the better batteries on 2013's (built 4/2013 and later):
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=474147#p474147
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=496269#p496269

Lizard battery wasn't officially installed until model year 2015 (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=17168).

My 5/2013 built Leaf still has all 12 bars and is still slowly creeping towards losing a bar. I'm now past 45.6K miles.

Whether or not a degraded battery and by how much is still useful to you depends on your use cases. If you only need 2 miles per charge, a battery with all bars gone still will work for you.

LeftieBiker said:
Post your location (and put it in your signature line) and we can better tell you if it would be worth buying out the lease. It really comes down to your climate: if it's usually hot, then don't own a Leaf. If it's generally cool or moderate, then owning a Leaf is ok.

I'm in the DFW area

jhumroo said:
LeftieBiker said:

I'm in the DFW area
Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

You're obviously in a hotter area.

I wasn't able to write much earlier. If one is at or near the edge of current battery capacity for range/autonomy needs, then the car will become more and more frustrating to drive as the battery degrades (e.g. needing to slow down more and more, possibly needing to charge along the way).

The tires on my former leased '13 SV at turn in with above 23K miles had enough tread left to not be dinged my NMAC. My current owned used '13 Leaf SV when I bought it used with also a bit above 23K miles had 3 very worn tires. I replaced all 4 immediately w/4 Ecopia EP422 Plus. They're still more than fine ~22K on them.

How quickly they wear out will depend on your driving, habits and roads. If it's mostly straight w/little turning, stopping and accelerating, they'll last a long time (e.g. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=401396#p401396).

I'm in the DFW area

I'm guessing "Dallas / Fort Worth" but it's generally not a good idea to assume that acronyms other than "DC" or "NYC" or "LA" will be understood. We don't want your address or social security number, just your nearest city. As already noted, your climate isn't good for Leafs. If you want to own an EV you need one with active battery cooling, like a Bolt. A Volt would also work if you don't mind having a gasoline engine.

LeftieBiker said:
I'm in the DFW area

I'm guessing "Dallas / Fort Worth" but it's generally not a good idea to assume that acronyms other than "DC" or "NYC" or "LA" will be understood. We don't want your address or social security number, just your nearest city. As already noted, your climate isn't good for Leafs. If you want to own an EV you need one with active battery cooling, like a Bolt. A Volt would also work if you don't mind having a gasoline engine.

Yes, Dallas/ Fort Worth. Thanks for the feedback. I would love to get the Bolt; unfortunately they haven't made it down here yet.

Back