a few more newb questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voltiar

Hi everyone. Spent a week with my 2016 SL and love it. A few questions:

In my Volt I can see how many miles I put on since the last full charge. This is very useful as I can add the miles driven to the miles left to get a much better picture of actual "per tank" miles to expect. I don't see this on my Leaf. I know I can set a trip odometer but would rather not have to remember to do that.

I love my heated steering wheel. However it goes from super hot, to warm, to barely warm. It doesn't stay consistently warm and wondering if it's broken or the nature of it.

On my Volt I can I can do an immediate charge (bypass the timer) by unplugging and plugging back in. Does the Leaf do the same?

Thanks!

voltiar said:
In my Volt I can see how many miles I put on since the last full charge. This is very useful as I can add the miles driven to the miles left to get a much better picture of actual "per tank" miles to expect. I don't see this on my Leaf. I know I can set a trip odometer but would rather not have to remember to do that.

I don't think this is available unless it was added in the latest models (or higher trims).

voltiar said:
On my Volt I can I can do an immediate charge (bypass the timer) by unplugging and plugging back in. Does the Leaf do the same?

There's a button you can hit to over ride the timer.

voltiar said:
The LEAF doesn't to this by itself - at least not in my 2013, and I don't think it's ever been changed.

I keep my dash display on average mileage (mi/kWh), so when I get in the car after charging I just hold the "dot" button for about 6s, which resets both the average mileage *and* the distance traveled display (which isn't being shown at that time). If you don't press it long enough, it only resets the average mileage; you need to hold it long enough to reset both.

Alternately, Leaf Spy Pro will display total miles driven since last charge (it's a toggle with several displays, one shows only the current trip).
Capture.png

And the miles remaining display is simpler, too:
Capture2.png

I love my heated steering wheel. However it goes from super hot, to warm, to barely warm. It doesn't stay consistently warm and wondering if it's broken or the nature of it.

It's badly designed. You can turn it off with the button before it gets too hot, and it will then turn back on whenever the button is pressed again. If you let it cycle off, then you get the too hot followed by too cold wheel that you have noticed.

LeftieBiker said:

It's badly designed. You can turn it off with the button before it gets too hot, and it will then turn back on whenever the button is pressed again. If you let it cycle off, then you get the too hot followed by too cold wheel that you have noticed.
Very true, the Leaf really needs a Hi/Low switch for the steering wheel instead of the High only which as note gets hot, then cold. I find the same thing happens with the seats on High, which is why I almost always use Low which keeps the seat a steady warm temp, on High the seat gets hot followed by off or cool, then hot again.
Oh and about the trip meter reset, your only choice is to manually reset the trip meter after every charge. I was religious with this on ICE vehicles before the Leaf, resetting after every fill. With my Leaf I forget most of the time as many times I don't charge all the way, often times 80% but other times I stop at most any % so because of this I largely ignore the trip meter on my Leaf. My most used display is %SOC, if I make it somewhere using less than half my SOC% I started with, I figure I'm good to get back home, of course this works best if going the same or similar route back that I arrived, I never even look at my GOM, IMO it's mostly worthless.

voltiar said:

YES. ;) Broken by design. I like the LEAF overall, but it continues to amaze me how they've stuck with such an inept design, for so long when it comes to the heated steering wheel.

voltiar said:
<snip>

As InPhoenix said, there's a button for that (farthest to the left of the four-button panel that includes the cover release).

Additional info:
You can tell you activated it correctly if the middle of the three blue dash lights is illuminated steadily.
If the three blue lights are cycling (first 1, then 2, then 3), you are still in timer mode.
Your Leaf will stay in "timer override mode" for 15 minutes, I believe--if you haven't plugged in within that time, it will revert to timer.

Back