Thoughts on 2013 SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PotRoastMan

I found a 2013 SL with 40,000 miles for $8900 at a dealership. It was a 3-year lease from Raleigh NC.
I don't have leafspy or a obdii thing, but I've asked the dealer for a BIS.

Any thoughts on a leaf with this mileage, from NC? Seems like a pretty good deal if it is "healthy".

If your talking about the MSP market, thats a pretty good deal :)
Were starting to see lower priced '13 S models and we've had lower priced '12 SL models for a while but if I were you'd I'd really try and concentrate on '13 and newer models, for various reasons.
The mileage is higher than I normally see for a Leaf but I'd be more concerned about the year than so much mileage, within reason. Is it missing any bars? the small bars to the right of the SOC bars. Being a '13SL it will have the better heat pump heater and being a '13 and newer you'll actually be able to turn the heat off while still running the fan, also coming from the South rust shouldn't be a issue :)
Sounds like a decent deal to me.

With no LeafSpy reading, assume one fewer bar than is showing, especially if 11 or 12 bars are showing. That way you won't be disappointed if it's about to lose one.

Leaf Spy Pro is very cheap (~$15). The OBDI adapter is also very cheap (~$10 on ebay). Compared to a $8900 purchase, it is silly not to get them now. If the battery test from LeafSpy looks good, the price seems good to me.

Bob

Are them there ODBII adapters usually available in any big box or automotive stores? I see some at local auto shops but they are $80-90 and I am unsure if they are compatible. Just looking to avoid the shipping time if I bought it online, in case I feel the urge to make a quick decision.

Since we are all discussing this at this site, it is a MUST to evaluate a used car with : 1) the numbers of bars left on the dash, 2) the number of estimated mile of range on the dash when the battery is charged to 100%, AND 3) using Leafspy with an obdII plug in module. They are on Amazon for under $20, to it is a no-brainer. The deal seems great, but you must do your homework and check these things out. Bad readings on the points I mentioned is a deal-breaker...

Sorry, I have never seen an OBDII adapter retail.

You need to find an ELM327 OBD2 Bluetooth device. The retail devices are car-specific readers, not bluetooth adapters for cell phones. Walmart has them on their website, but not in the store. Likewise, you can find them on Amazon, dx.com and ebay.

Bob

.....and if you only have a iPhone you need a OBDII device with WiFi, slightly more expensive than a regular Bluetooth adapter. I've also not seen the OBDII adapters retail, although I suppose some place must stock them.

jjeff said:
.....and if you only have a iPhone you need a OBDII device with WiFi, slightly more expensive than a regular Bluetooth adapter. I've also not seen the OBDII adapters retail, although I suppose some place must stock them.

Newer iPhones can use the new Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) units such as LELink ODB II unit. Pairing is automatic, so even easier. Here is the one I use:

LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool For iPhone/iPod/iPad

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJRYMFC

gshepherd said:
Newer iPhones can use the new Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) units such as LELink ODB II unit. Pairing is automatic, so even easier. Here is the one I use:

LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool For iPhone/iPod/iPad

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJRYMFC

My LELink stopped working several days ago. It shows as connected, but no data is transferred to LeafSpy Pro. The summary page shows the yellow block with "elm 00" and no cycling of codes. Have you had this issue and if so, been able to re-establish communications?

Yes, LELink seems to lock up very rarely. Solution is to unplug and replug it. At least that worked for me. You can get an OBD-II extender cable with an inline power switch.

Back