Battery scare

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boba

On the 6th of July with the battery charged to 100% I drove About 85 miles to Falmouth Maine from the Camden area with a stop at the Nissan dealer at mile 65 for a quick charge. Range calculated out at about 100 miles for that 65 miles, normal for this time of year. Continued the trip, dropped off a friend in Falmouth, drove back to Nissan and charged up to 100% using both the L2 and L3. The battery temperature was two bars below red and the quick charge took about 35 minutes rather than the 20 minute morning charge. Stayed in the area for 4 hours and then drove home. So far so good. Set the time clock to charge up to 85%.

Next morning I took a 12 mile round trip to Camden and noticed much more electricity use than usual. The range calcuated out to 68 miles, a deep winter number. Fear set in! Hooked up the Leaf Spy and the SOH was 100% rather than the May number of 93! Hx was 97 rather than 89. Perhaps the battery was ok. (Four days and 70 miles later the numbers are the same.) Made a second round trip in the afternoon of 18 miles. Used no net electricity until mile 7. The trip includes a 600 foot drop down to sea level. at the end the calculated range was 153 miles! All trips since then have been normal. The range for all miles since the 85% charge is 101.

Two questions: Why the strange behavior the day after the long trip? Did the condition of the battery actually improve as the SOH and HX seem to imply?

"Stats usually improve after driving more and QC'ing as well."

Does that mean that the battery has actually improved?

boba said:
"Stats usually improve after driving more and QC'ing as well."

Does that mean that the battery has actually improved?

No. Batteries only degrade with time and use. The solid electrolyte interphase layer gets thicker, anode material breaks down, metal plating occurs, etc...

These aren't reversible otherwise everyone with lost capacity could simply do a lot of QC and have new batteries.

Back