Moving Leaf between cities

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tandemrider

I am considering buying a Leaf that is about 700 milles away. It has a quick charge port. I don't find plug share to be very helpful since their high speed charging stations are mostly Tesla superchargers that don't work with Nissan's DCQC. CarStations seems to be a much better source of locations for DCQC but they are too far apart on the routes between my 2 cities of interest. Trucking the Leaf is estimated to cost around $450. Is there any other reasonable solution to moving/driving car that distance?
Too bad no one makes an adapter for the Tesla supercharers. I would gladly pay Tesla for a charge at each station.

Aside from renting a truck with a trailer and hauling/towing it yourself, probably not. A coworker of mine had one hauled from St. Louis to Memphis and paid somewhere between $200 and $300, I believe. Good Luck and enjoy your LEAF!

Driving the leaf for 700 miles while depending on a mix of L3 (and L2!) charging stations would not be a great idea. I would get it transported.

Tandemrider said:
I don't find plug share to be very helpful since their high speed charging stations are mostly Tesla superchargers that don't work with Nissan's DCQC.

You can turn off and on different charging standards on Plugshare under settings. The gear wheel icon at the top left of the screen.

Mentioning the cities would be useful. Some of us have done longer trips in a Leaf. Longest day I did was 220 miles or so.

Might be fastest to take back roads and drive slower to minimize charge stops.

L3 DCQC is easiest, but 700 miles of L3 only would be a couple of days at best. 12 hours of just driving, and 6 hours of charging, more or less. Lots of things to know about to minimize battery temperature rise. Would need L3 stations at the correct distance, this isn't common.

L2, and using 240V "50 Amp" outlets (also L2) at RV stations is possible, twice as long or more. 12 hours of just driving, and 36 hours of charging, more or less.

L1 and RV "TT-30" (still L1, but twice as fast) would be doable, would take more than a week.

People have crossed the US using a mix of L1 and L2.

I might do a 700 mile trip under some conditions, but would be more likely to have transported.

You might check out a shipping broker, such as UShip, or ask your dealer for any recommendations. Long ago I paid $800 to have an Ranger EV shipped in an enclosed transport from Phoenix to Seattle. Open transport was less expensive, around $600, and depot-to-depot would save yet again.

If you elect to go an on EV adventure, don't forget the cost on incidentals, food, and lodging. I can't imagine it would come in any less than the shipping quote you had.

Back