Leafspy battery display (1) remains red.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boba

I normally drive with display 3 of Leafspy on. A week or so ago I switched to the battery display and it was mostly red! Occasionally it starts out mostly blue but in a second or so it changes to red. The voltages look normal as well all other readouts that I checked. Travel over the last 60 miles gave a calculated range of 104 miles (local driving) which is normal for this time of year. The car is an S purchased in September of 2014 and has 12,000 miles on it. The location here is coastal Maine. Does anyone know what is going on?

red on that screen just means the cells are balancing. It's an automated process that happens often and has no practical significance to you.

Take a look at the number in the bottom right corner in parens that says something like (x MV). If x is less than 10 it's perfect, if its in the teens, 20s or 30s its no big deal but the higher the number the more imbalance in the pack. If its a really high number you'll see one of the bars above being either taller than all the rest or shorter than all the rest.

That's what that screen is really all about, is there one that is too tall or too short vs the rest of the pack? Color isn't important to health, just shows you something is going on that is hidden behind the scenes.

Assuming you aren't having range issues I'd just check that screen once a year or for curiosity check it at full charge and some time when you almost run out of range.

I normally stay on screen 4 for daily use of leaf spy but if you are using the lite version screen 3 gets the job done.

Thanks for the answer. Just looked up a screen picture from October of last year and the number was 10 mv the same as it is today. My concern is that obviously something has changed. In the past any imbalance has lasted only a few seconds while now the whole screen is nearly totally red most of the time. Hopefully it is of no concern but I'm curious as to why it is happening.

Back