My 5 years of LEAF ownership

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgoleta

There are many LEAF that are reaching the 5 year mark. What is your experience after 5 years?

This is mine.

I have now had my LEAF for 5 years. It is low mileage only 30K miles, I use it daily work commute (average 20 miles/day), groceries and around town errands. I live in a pretty mild climate, central coastal California. Replaced tires after 4 years. Replaced brake fluid ($100) every 2 years. Yearly battery inspection ($35). No paint issues. Paint is still in excellent condition. Still original 12V battery. No failures of any lights. Replaced cabin air filter myself every year ($6 for Microguard filter at O'Reilly's). No light failures. Only warranty work was replacing temperature sensor which was defective when I first got the car along with the passenger visor which wouldn't stay up. Upholstery wear has been reasonable, no wear holes or worn smooth. I have charged with using L1 for the entire time. Only time it has been on a L2 chargin is 5 times was when it was at the dealer for service. Charging has always been at night when I am asleep. First 4 years never charged beyond 80%. Starting at 4.5 years starting charging full charge. Current battery stats: 11/12 bars. AHr=53.35 SOH 81% Hx 64.69% 394.0V SOC when fully charges 92.3%, total of 3311 L1/L2 charges (remember to divide by 2 when charging using a timer for actual number of charges for approx 1650 real charge cycles). Nissan mileage predictor (non-ECO mode) when first delivered said 106 miles, currently when fully charged says 81 miles. The Nissan mileage prediction has been wildly inaccurate above 50% charge. Overall the car has been dependable, very inexpensive to maintain. We had solar put in at the same time we acquired the car. We sized the solar to meet house and car needs plus an extra 20% to allow for system aging. The result has been no electrical bill for 5 years.

May marks 5 years with my Leaf SL (purchased). Very low miles - 21,331. I'm retired so car is used for around the town trips like shopping, church, visiting friends, etc. Mild S.F. Bay Area climate. Car always kept in the garage when not in use. Original tires and 12v battery. No warranty issues or repairs. Yearly battery check, brake fluid changed every 2 years, cabin air filter replaced every 3 years. No wear issues but there are several areas of paint damage from flying objects on the freeway. Always charged at L2 and never L1 or L3. Charged to 80% for first 4.5 years but now must charge to 100% to obtain decent range. 10/12 bars. I don't have Leaf Spy so can't give better battery statistics. Overall, I've been very happy with the Leaf even though the range has never been any where near the 100 advertised by Nissan when I purchased it. I'm not too happy with the HUGE depreciation, but figuring in the $5000 California rebate and the $7500 tax credit I received in 2011, it's not as bad as it looks. I plan to keep the car as long as it suits my needs. Hopefully, by the time it needs a new battery, the price will have come down and the battery capacity will have gone up. I still LOVE driving this car compared to my ICE (2003 VW Passat wagon).

Also in the Bay area. Got my Blue SL on 04/18/2011.
LeafSpy data starting 11/23/2013.
Current stats as of 5/14/16:
63,400 miles
First year and a half L1 only charging.
EVSE upgrade on 08/17/2012, and only L2 charging since then:
3272 L1/L2
10/12 bars, Ahr 48.9
Lost first bar at 39,000 miles
Lost second bar at 48,050 miles

Replaced tires at 55,275 miles
1 Brake fluid change after 3 years/39k miles

Now getting some multiple DTC failures due to the 12V battery low voltage so will replace 12V battery for the first time.
Very happy with my whole experience with the Leaf so far. Hoping to get to 8 years 100,000 miles before changing the battery.

Reports like these make me want a battery electric vehicle. Only thing holding me back is the lack of range with these cars. Hopefully the 2017 Nissan electric car range gets a boost of up to 130 miles.

I'm glad to hear that 5 year owners are happy. in the financial area, however, I'm not sure that you are getting your money's worth if you only drive 15-20 miles daily.

The Leaf seems to be the best match for someone who will drive the heck out of it. I have 20k miles on my 2015, drive 70-80 miles daily (charge L2 twice daily, meaning I do not let the charge go below about 40-50%). My battery stats are very close to new.

I have heard of reports that a Leaf used as a taxi has gotten 100K miles, with no loss of bars. I hope I will have good luck after 5 years!!

Back