Why aren't ALL Nissan mechanics trained on the LEAF?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alicefoeller

It seems like whenever I call to schedule service or go in for something simple (plastic interior piece pulled away from door anchor, for example) everyone in the service department is scared to death to touch it, and they have to go get the LEAF guy, and if he's not there, I have to come back another time.

It seems like if you are going to manufacture a car, you should train all of your technicians in how to work on it. Or at least they should know that a plastic interior panel is no different on a LEAF than on a Versa.

Once I left it there to have an extra key cut and asked them to plug it in for me. When I picked it up it was fully charged, but they closed the hatch without shutting the little orange plastic cover over the charging port. I mean, this is the dealership! It's really frustrating.

I could think of a couple reasons. First, Leaf sales are such a small part of total dealer sales. Second, many never get to dealer because they are quite reliable, (my 2011 has never been to the dealer other than the first two battery checks). Here in Hilo, HI they don't even sell leafs. I hear that they might start soon though.

The reality is there are deadly high-voltages inside a Leaf, and from a safety/insurance standpoint they probably have to limit access to trained/certified personnel. Since Leafs don't have a lot of maintenance issues, there shouldn't be a big "back log" for repairs (at least I've never had trouble at my dealer).

vwDavid said:
I never close my orange L2 hatch cover... don't see the point...
I've always figured the main door probably isn't weatherproof enough to keep out rain being driven into it at 60mph...so I shut the inner cover.

As far as why all dealer mechanics aren't LEAF trained, the answer to that kind of question is always the same...money.

The reality is there are deadly high-voltages inside a Leaf, and from a safety/insurance standpoint they probably have to limit access to trained/certified personnel.

So all the Techs are trained in how to deal with toxic, flammable, highly explosive materials? You know, like gasoline?

LeftieBiker said:
So all the Techs are trained in how to deal with toxic, flammable, highly explosive materials? You know, like gasoline?
I'm pretty sure the answer to that is, "Yes." It's not considered "special" because every auto mechanic needs to know how to deal gasoline fumes and spills. Plus gasoline won't kill you just because you touched the wrong thing.

davewill said:
LeftieBiker said:
I'm pretty sure the answer to that is, "Yes." It's not considered "special" because every auto mechanic needs to know how to deal gasoline fumes and spills. Plus gasoline won't kill you just because you touched the wrong thing.

Almost all mechanics get some kind of cursory safety talk, but it isn't usually a real training course and it doesn't eliminate fires and explosions caused by sloppy work habits. As for that 'one touch', I think that since most mechanics seem to smoke, that applies more widely.

LeftieBiker said:
Almost all mechanics get some kind of cursory safety talk, but it isn't usually a real training course and it doesn't eliminate fires and explosions caused by sloppy work habits. As for that 'one touch', I think that since most mechanics seem to smoke, that applies more widely.
Well, if the LEAF training were only safety, it probably wouldn't be a whole course all by itself either. The mechanics are also learning the car's systems and the diagnostic procedures that are unique to the car. Also, Nissan requires the dealership to put in charging and buy some service equipment to be LEAF certified.

As electric cars become more mainstream, mechanics will come to know this stuff as part of their regular training and experience. For now, it's a special beast.

Back