My Leaf Purchasing Adventure

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesh

This is actually the short version:
Just purchased my Nissan Leaf yesterday (6/20/2015)
After researching for months, I went with Carlypso, a new kind of broker/dealer in the Bay Area that tells you what is coming up for auction and you tell them how much you are willing to pay. I chose a pearl white SV with LED/QC with 10070 miles (clean title) and was willing to pay up to $12,100...ended up getting it for $11,900 (before tax and lic.).
Now, I don't live near Carlypso, in fact I live 143 miles away, so when I picked up my the car (with my two daughters), my adventure began. Unfortunately, my car was not fully charged upon pick up, so our first stop, the nearest charging station (at Candlestick Point). No problems with the first charge, but while waiting, my daughter found an invoice under the seat from a collision center. The car had been in an accident, and paid for in cash from the owner (stress!). I was able to contact the collision center and confirm that it was simply a fender bender with the rear bumper panel replaced. Whew!
After suffering through stop and go traffic through San Francisco (genius to go that route on a late Saturday Afternoon) we headed to visit some family in Clayton, a bit out of the way. 40 miles, no problem. Left them to recharge for the next leg. Pulled into the Hilton (in Concord), but the site was taken by a Prius that was fully charged, but no one in site. Thought about removing the charger, but I would need to block a Disabled spot to squeeze in close enough to charge. Glad I did not, as that space was needed a few moments after I pulled up. We drove a few miles more to Nissan in Concord. The staff was very nice and I charged for free.
Next stop, Vacaville for Fenton's Ice Cream, only 36 miles, so no problem. Had a tough time finding the charger (behind the mall police station) but when I did, a nice guy was finishing up and used his NRG card to give me free charge (awesome!). He use to work for Nissan and totally went through the car with me showing me features I was unaware of. He also got under the car and verified that indeed only the rear bumper was replaced and all else was original. note: as I was finishing up, a Kia Soul EV pulled in. First time I had seen one in person. Pretty nice.
Now for the fun. After a 95% charge and some ice cream with my 8 and 11 year old (now nearly 10:30 p.m.), we set off for home. 67 miles on the freeway. Drove ~65mph for a 20+ mile stretch as I did not want to be too disruptive on the road. As soon as the path switched to 3+ lanes, I dropped down to 61mph (cruise control) and did not stress as the miles melted away from the GOM. As I came within several miles of my exit, the Low Battery warning came on (or was it Very Low??? I was pretty tired). As I exited the freeway (only 2 miles to go) the miles went to 3 blinking dashes. Not too concerned at this point. I do live up a very steep hill of about 1/4 mile with 13-17% grade, but this was my first day with my Leaf, and making it home was my destiny! Pulled into the driveway at ~11:37 p.m. with no issues. Success!
Now it is time to go get a 240v EVSE. :)

Very interesting and exciting story! I've never had either light come up, merely the GOM that starts to blink at 17 miles remaining. Since I live in SoCal, there are too many options to NOT charge whenever it get low.

Congrats on the new car; I personally will never go back to an ICE for my primary vehicle...

Thanks, I think it is a bit ironic that my first true drive with the car will likely be my longest ever drive with this car. Forgot to mention the total...just under 183 miles after all is said and done.
The adventure continued when I arrived home just after 11:30. I tried to plug in the trickle charger but it did not work. The first green "Ready" light came on, but not the 2nd "Charge" light. I tried several things to fix the problem: removing and replugging in the car and EVSE, checking the timer function...eventually I took to the internet and read several stories of people with charging issues and needing their entire unit replaced (now very tired and a bit worried). Then I thought maybe the guys at Carlypso did a switcharoo on me with a bad EVSE (not the case, but now it was after 1 a.m. so the mind is reaching). Eventually I pulled up manual (on-line) and this is clearly where I should have started (again, very tired). I read that the EVSE will NOT work in an improperly wired circuit. Well, my 1950's house has several plugs not grounded, Sooo I ended up pulling out a thick cabled power strip in order to stretch my EVSE the length of the garage, plugging into the outlet with my beer fridge. SUCCESS! or so I thought.
Apparently, when the fridge kicked on a bit later, it tripped the power strip...but now all is good, only I will have some warm beer to deal with.
Tomorrow I head over to Clipper Creek (2 miles away) and pick up a 240v, 25amp EVSE :)

I did a similar "longest trip ever was when I bought the car".

I bought mine in Hickory, NC, drove to Knoxville, TN. Including the diversions off I-40 to charge it was over 225 miles.

https://evtripplanner.com/planner/2-5/?id=cym3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is roughly what I did (I messed up at one point and used Google maps walking directions instead of car directions and took a slightly different route from black mountain to asheville to waynesville)

the zigzag through asheville was me going to a chademo charge point that I couldn't use, then falling back to another that was further out of the way.

the waynesville detour was to hit another chademo because there wasn't a single DC charger between there and home so I wanted every last drop of range I could get before I had to go through the wastelands of 10 mph L2 charge points.

fwiw I hit VLBW twice on my trip home, with 3 miles range on the GOM in Black Mountain, NC and with --- on the GOM when I pulled into the driveway at home (in fact I drove on --- for several miles).

DaveInAvl said:
dhanson865 said:
the waynesville detour was to hit another chademo
There's a QC in the Waynesville area? I knew that Haywood Tech in Clyde had L2s - have they added a QC as well?

It's been there 6 months or so I think

Montgomery Street Public Parking
88 Montgomery Street, Waynesville NC 28786 run by greenlots

No, the college in Clyde was L2 only. I stopped at Haywood Community College for the top up because it was a free charging station. I did the bulk of my charging on the L3 chademos that day.

That really seems like quite the adventure.
I will say that I always had multiple charging options, so really no 'charging station anxiety' on my trip.
I hadn't seen that 'ev trip planner' before. I'll be checking that out for possible future adventures.
-James

Back