LeafSpy on (2) 2012 for Possible Purchase

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coloradochris

I need some help evaluating battery health from the output of LeafSpy on two different LEAFs that I'm considering buying.

2012 Nissan LEAF SL in Red
  • 12,216 miles
    54.54 AHr
    83% SOH
    67.69% Hx
    0 QC
    501 L1/L2

2012 Nissan LEAF SL in Silver
  • 10,504 miles
    56.31 AHr
    85% SOH
    72.16% Hx
    0 QC
    462 L1/L2

- What kind of range I can expect out of either of these cars? Maybe 60 to 65 miles?

- Are the low SOH and Hx numbers concerning?

- Neither car has ever been quick-charged, so is the degradation the result of heat? Too frequent charging?

My usage will be to use the L2 pedestal at my office and drive about 20 miles per day. I'd like to occasionally stretch the range to run longer errands on the weekends, maybe 60 miles total each weekend.

Details on these specific cars: Both are single owner lease returns that were picked up at auction in Georgia (hot state) and shipped to the San Francisco Bay Area. They have clear Carfax and the walkaround showed no damage or wear, other than worn tires and a few parking lot dings. Both cars are right at $10K, more than $2K below retail blue-book. The low price gives me pause, so I wanted to get the batteries checked. Kevin from the San Francisco Bay Area LEAF Owners Group used LeafSpy to analyze the health of the battery packs. He also did a thorough job evaluating the appearance and took photos and video. I plan to ship a car to Colorado to take advantage of the 24% tax refund paid on LEAFs that have not previously been registered in Colorado. Shipping is about $800 from the Bay Area for an open transporter. That means my net outlay will be under $9K (tax, title, etc. not included). At that price, I might even buy both of them.

Not sure what kind of range you'll get out of those cars, but they definitely seem degraded to me, especially compared to the miles they have. Compare them to the final LeafSpy readings of my 2012 SL that I turned in last month (see my signature).

They are both about to, if not, already have lost one capacity bar, meaning approximately 15% less capacity than new.
But, you should probably be able to get 60 if not more miles out of either one (for a year or two) when you fully charge them... After a year or two of your own driving, you may be pushing it trying to go more than 50 miles per full charge.
I would go with the silver one myself, since its battery stats look in better shape than the red one...
Good luck!

Out of those two, I would probably get the Silver one. For a 2012, the readings are reasonably good on both, all things considered. Heat is the enemy, but taking it to Colorado could provide a longer life span for the battery.

My car was a lease return from Georgia with 18k miles. The health reading on it is currently at 87% and shows 4 QC's and 780 L1/L2 charges.

Seems about right to me. I'm at 80% and around 26,000 mi. I can get 60 mi in the summer, maybe 40-50 in winter. Everything is speed, wind, rain/snow and temperature dependent. I managed 85 mi last summer with a tail wind, but that was exceptional. I'd go for the red one, but only because I'm...

My 2012 SL has 86% SOH at 22k miles, but it spent its first 20k miles in Michigan, and its last 2k here in Chicago, so the weather has been good to it. With 86% SOH, I've taken mine on 60 mile trips (mostly highway) at 65mph in 50F weather and still had 2 bars remaining (meaning I probably could've gone another 10-15 miles or so easy).
For $9k, I'd say it's a no-brainer. Go for it! There's no way you're going to get any car comparable to it for that money. In my experience, the Cayenne Red one gets dirty looking REALLY fast. Coming from a silver colored car (Hyundai Sonata) with a similar silver to the LEAF's silver color, I noticed the dirt on it much less. That alone would sway me toward the silver one. The fact that the silver one also has a higher SOH and fewer miles would seal the deal for me, all else being equal.

2012 SL's that I've seen are usually selling for $10,000-$11,000 and they typically have low miles (under 25,000) and right around one bar lost. If you can get one for $9K with one bar lost, I would say that's an OK deal- but expect to see resale value dip again around October.

If I were you, I would be shopping for a battery replacement eligible LEAF. This way, you can claim the warranty and get a new battery installed, and the car will be like new.

Back