Ideas for Extra L2 Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf1

I wanted to get ideas for what I should do with and extra Level 2 charger I won in a drawing from Nissan. It is an Aerovironment EVSE-RS - same model I had purchased from Nissan when I first got my LEAF. i cannot use it at my house or a family members house. I would like to pay it forward instead of just selling it on eBay. I am in MD. Please help with some ideas. Thanks

Raffle it off here on this site with the proceeds going to help the people in Kathmandu or Doctors Without Borders.

Sell tickets for $5 or three for $10.

They mail you a check and you mail back to them a ticket stub(s.)

Have a drawing on 7-4-15 and then announce the winner and the amount collected on the site.

Everyone wins.

(I'll buy 3 tickets.)

I'd donate it to a local business that likes the idea of free EV traffic stopping by - you'll not only be helping out the owner but the entire EV community.

AndyGT02 said:
I'd donate it to a local business that likes the idea of free EV traffic stopping by - you'll not only be helping out the owner but the entire EV community.
+1
Yeah, I'm not sure how that would work, but something like that would be great..
A local restaurant or something (preferably some place that you frequent) might be a nice choice..
Of course, it should be a place where parking isn't already a problem. ;-)

desiv

Donating it to a local business is a great idea. However, be prepared for disappointment. I've approached dozens of businesses with this very thing (I offered to pay for a ClipperCreek, plus installation in some cases). One business that said no was a "perfect" location and installation (literally several unused parking spaces right next to the building, with the electrical panel on the wall. Including permitting, and electrician, 1-2 ft of wire, circuit breaker and the EVSE, it would have been around $1000. I still don't understand it :roll:

Reddy said:
... I still don't understand it :roll:
I do. Businesses are used to having folks come to them and offer something "free" that's actually a hook to take money from them. So when you waltz up all ready to "give" them an EVSE free, then it turns out there are installation costs and electricity costs, they are going to be skeptical. Also if they weren't already interested having public charging a free EVSE is probably not enough to create that interest. If you're going to give it to a business, better to pick one where you already have a good relationship with the owner.

Thanks for the ideas. I too think that finding a business will be tough. I would love to give it to someone that an L2 would help them go the EV route. If I don't find that, I will likely go the silent auction or raffle route to benefit a cause.

Leaf1 said:
Thanks for the ideas. I too think that finding a business will be tough. I would love to give it to someone that an L2 would help them go the EV route. If I don't find that, I will likely go the silent auction or raffle route to benefit a cause.

Or just use ebay and then donate the money where you see fit.

Back