Will a 2011 leaf charge 31 miles in 11 hours on 120V?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gor29

Will a degraded battery from a 2011 leaf, driven 25 miles at 75mph and remaining 6 miles at under 40 mph, in moderate climate (norcal), be efficient enough to reliably recharge those 31 miles in 11 hours on a slow 120V charger? How much of a percent margin should there be? Thanks in advance.

gor29 said:
Will a degraded battery from a 2011 leaf, driven 25 miles at 75mph and remaining 6 miles at under 40 mph, in moderate climate (norcal), be efficient enough to reliably recharge those 31 miles in 11 hours on a slow 120V charger? How much of a percent margin should there be? Thanks in advance.
Disclaimer: I don't have and never did have a 2011 w/ or w/o a degraded battery, but I don't think that should affect charging rate, especially at 110V.

Your breakdown of high speed vs "city" driving is close to what I do on my commute and I get about 3.8mi/kWh and when I was charging on a 110V I'd get about 5mph of range. So I'd think that 11 hours should net you about 55 miles of range.

I did almost my entire first 2 year lease with only the 110V and it worked. However, I did eventually do the 220V and would never go back.

At 75mph I'd expect you to get about 3.0mpk so you would use 25/3=8.3kwh for that part, then approx 4.5 mpk for the 40mph leg so 6/4.5=1.3kWh for that leg for a total of 9.6 kWh needing to be replaced.

120v charging gives you 120v*12a=1.44kW. You will only be about 75% efficient at 120v so cut that down to 1.44*75%=1.08kW, I'm going to just use 1kW, so Ideally it would take 9.6 hours to get your 9.6kWh back. The car slows down the charge rate as you get near the end, but since the charge rate is already so low, it's not much of a factor. One more hour should be more than plenty to account for it.

So my answer is that 11 hours charge time on 120v gives you a decent cushion, something more than 10% or so. If you want more range, you would need to slow that 75mph down to 60-65mph. If you get better numbers, then you can redo the calculation.

So even the worst of battery degradation on a 2011 model will only impact total range, and not impact efficiency (kW/mile) nor charge rate?

Basically true. With the exception of the amount of Regen, all that basically changes is capacity...

gor29 said:
So even the worst of battery degradation on a 2011 model will only impact total range, and not impact efficiency (kW/mile) nor charge rate?

Typically 120V charging will give you 4 or 5 miles of range per hour of charging. So worst case scenario (using 4 miles per hour) So 11 hours would be 44 miles of range.

I have a 2012 with 3 lost bars.... the part I'd be concerned about is the 25 miles at 75MPH. You will really chew thru some miles at that speed.

Newporttom said:
I have a 2012 with 3 lost bars.... the part I'd be concerned about is the 25 miles at 75MPH. You will really chew thru some miles at that speed.
davewill said:
At 75mph I'd expect you to get about 3.0mpk so you would use 25/3=8.3kwh for that part, then approx 4.5 mpk for the 40mph leg so 6/4.5=1.3kWh for that leg for a total of 9.6 kWh needing to be replaced.
Newporttom, does davewill's calculations with the 50% higher energy usage at 75mph factor that in? Or are you suggesting the fact that your battery has degraded 3 bars will cause it to use more energy traveling at 75mph than a leaf with a new battery traveling at 75mph?

The amount of energy used at 75MPH (or any other speed) is not a function of battery degradation and remains pretty much constant regardless...

gor29 said:
Or are you suggesting the fact that your battery has degraded 3 bars will cause it to use more energy traveling at 75mph than a leaf with a new battery traveling at 75mph?

More info needed (temps, climate, bars lost, winter temps, etc). Given your 75 mph, I will assume you are in California. Plus, I think you mentioned 3 bars lost. If this is correct, then I would be concerned about your ability to continue for 2 more years. Yes, you can easily drive 31 mi with a 3-bar loser in CA. However, if you in a hotter part, then you will continue to see degradation and eventually (especially in winter) you won't be able to make such a distance. I've used up nearly 100% of my 2011 battery on a 35 mi RT when it was below 10 F (and I never even exceeded 70 mph). As for replacing the energy using L1, I think it will work. However, L1 really doesn't produce much pre-heating when the temps get below 30 F.

Back