Charging at work - Schedule

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work at a large company. We have two plugs available to charge. Set up on chargepoint with $1/hr cost and stated "4 hr maximum" but I don't know how/if that is enforced.

So, no schedule exists etc. Basically show up and if it is available, charge; be nice and leave when done.

I didn't expect it to work, but it does seem to be so far. Yes, I have to move the car mid-day but can check on Chargepoint app to see if a slot is available.

I don't know how many EV's are in the lot- I know there are at least 8 or so that I have seen, but there could be many more. I didn't expect this system to work at all but it does seem to be so far. Now with that said I wouldn't want to HAVE to charge every day.

I really believe that workplaces should invest in a larger number of L1 (120v 15a?) plugs with designated parking for EVs rather than a few L2 stations. I'd far rather know there is a plug available and get my 8hrs of slow charging than chance getting L2 and have to move car mid-day. I have to figure the cost/plug would be far less for the 120v plugs... but maybe there is more to this than I understand (?)

Part of the reason is the availability of L1 charging isn't EV specific or anything new. L2 allows companies to market how "green" they are.

AndyGT02 said:
Part of the reason is the availability of L1 charging isn't EV specific or anything new. L2 allows companies to market how "green" they are.

I realize this. Thus my company stuck the Chargepoint station right in front of the building between the visitor and "Expectant Mother" parking (see, they are family friendly too - how nice!). So we charge for 1/2 day and then drive half a mile around to the employee garage.

I just rather wish the motivation would be to actually enable employees to go EV now while we wait for better range vehicles, not just a PR move. Get those 200 mile range EVs and it will quickly become moot....

Slow1 said:
I just rather wish the motivation would be to actually enable employees to go EV now while we wait for better range vehicles, not just a PR move. Get those 200 mile range EVs and it will quickly become moot....

And that's rub: once we get longer range EVs, the whole "we have to have a charging network" argument will become moot. I hardly even use one now, and that's with a reduced capacity battery!

Back