Getting reimbursed for gas

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyGT02

Long story short: My Leaf got rear ended and was being repaired at the dealer for 20 days. During this time I drove a rental around. The at-fault insurance agency would reimburse me for the cost of the rental, as expected. However, since I tend to charge my Leaf for free in work, I made the argument that they should pay for gas as well. Covering gas is against any insurance company policy since they expect you to be spending money on fuel no matter what.

The first two people I spoke to didn't understand that a car could use electricity instead of gas, and pretty much kept telling me I would be using gas if my Leaf hadn't gotten into an accident. :D The third actually understood the argument and took it to the managers. It's three weeks later, but they're sending me a check for just over $200 worth of gas. If you're ever in the same situation, it's a point worth making. Eventually I imagine these companies will put policies in place either making allowance for electric cars or prohibiting it regardless.

I fought the other driver's insurance company over this issue and was not as successful as you. I had a spreadsheet with all the numbers to back up my claim, but could not get anyone to consider it. I also had to really argue with them to get even close to a reasonable settlement for my car and reimbursement for tools and test equipment damaged in the crash.

Gerry

I was in the same situation when my two week old 14MY LEAF was totaled (not my fault). I was able to explain to and convince the at-fault party's insurance company to pay for the gas.

It will be hit and miss with different companies. Many adjusters don't know anything about EVs. Normally fuel is not reimbursed on a rental vehicle because it is a normal cost....to most people. Technically it is owed in my opinion. I happen to work for a large insurance company so I know the ins and outs of how they work.

nerys said:
I did not know you could rent a leaf...

Enterprise has rented me a Leafs twice. Once before I bought, to make sure I was OK with the car, once after my first Leaf was rearended. However, both times I needed to call around and ask. And both times, there were only a few cars at one location in the Seattle area.

Some Nissan car dealers also rent Leafs. Again, call and ask.

How much was it to Rent? AFAIK it is a speciality car and expensive to rent. Not that it mattered in your case.

WetEV said:
nerys said:
I did not know you could rent a leaf...

Enterprise has rented me a Leafs twice. Once before I bought, to make sure I was OK with the car, once after my first Leaf was rearended. However, both times I needed to call around and ask. And both times, there were only a few cars at one location in the Seattle area.

Some Nissan car dealers also rent Leafs. Again, call and ask.

kieranmullen said:
How much was it to Rent? AFAIK it is a speciality car and expensive to rent. Not that it mattered in your case.

Was more expensive than a gaser, but not outrageously so. Sorry, but I don't remember exactly, somewhere around $45 a day or $280 a week... Similar gasers were $230 a week. And yes, it didn't matter in either case.

Back