Backup-beep backlash?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubo

Has anyone else noticed that pedestrians seem to go out of their way to walk behind your LEAF while you're backing up?

I notice this regularly. I haven't actually stopped anyone to ask why, for fear of appearing confrontational. But I'm curious as to what is going on. My theory is that people view the backup alarm as "pushy" and go out of their way to show me that I'm supposed to be looking out for them, instead of the other way around.

It's real, all right. I'll be backing out of a Handicapped parking space* and have to dodge seemingly-suicidal pedestrians who should be extra wary of vehicles in which the driver may be somewhat impaired.

*Yes, I have a placard.

Nubo said:
Has anyone else noticed that pedestrians seem to go out of their way to walk behind your LEAF while you're backing up?
They are even worse about it if you are backing out in a 2011 with the sound turned off :shock: came extremely close to bumping a woman one day.

I don't think they are intentionally walking behind you because of the backup alarm.

I just think pedestrian behaviour in parking lots is becoming more and more stupid.

I do not know why.

But more and more people seem completely oblivious to how bad it is to be hit by a 4000 pound vehicle :eek:

TimLee said:
Nubo said:
They are even worse about it if you are backing out in a 2011 with the sound turned off :shock: came extremely close to bumping a woman one day.

I don't think they are intentionally walking behind you because of the backup alarm.

I just think pedestrian behaviour in parking lots is becoming more and more stupid.

I do not know why.

But more and more people seem completely oblivious to how bad it is to be hit by a 4000 pound vehicle :eek:

I would flip that around and say that driver behavior in parking lots is becoming more and more stupid. For example, people have no regard for the lines on the lot. They'll fly through marked parking spots at 40MPH, completely disregarding other cars driving around. They also seem far more interested in finding the absolute closest available spot to the door than paying attention to the people trying to walk from their car.

Overall, I think parking lot design leaves a lot to be desired. IMHO there should be a pedestrian median in between every row of cars, so cars and pedestrians don't have to share the same space.

Nubo said:
GetOffYourGas said:
I would flip that around and say that driver behavior in parking lots is becoming more and more stupid.
These are not mutually exclusive propositions.

¿Porque no los dos? :lol:
=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
Nubo said:
GetOffYourGas said:
I would flip that around and say that driver behavior in parking lots is becoming more and more stupid.
These are not mutually exclusive propositions.

¿Porque no los dos? :lol:
=Smidge=

Fair enough!

GetOffYourGas said:
I would flip that around and say that driver behavior in parking lots is becoming more and more stupid. For example, people have no regard for the lines on the lot. They'll fly through marked parking spots at 40MPH, completely disregarding other cars driving around. They also seem far more interested in finding the absolute closest available spot to the door than paying attention to the people trying to walk from their car.

Overall, I think parking lot design leaves a lot to be desired. IMHO there should be a pedestrian median in between every row of cars, so cars and pedestrians don't have to share the same space.

I'd agree with that. Once people get in their cars they seem to forget that everyone else has to traverse the parking lot on foot just like they did. I find it particularly disturbing at work where I park in a structure. Tight quarters with a mix of parked vehicles and pedestrians. I take it at a reasonable speed and more often than not someone ends up obnoxiously riding my bumper. I don't get it. I guess even their fellow teammates don't get a break.

GetOffYourGas said:

I agree completely.
The current mentality between both drivers and pedestrians that they can do multiple things well all at the same time is crazy.
Drive or walk through a parking lot while talking on a cell phone :?:
Might as well be well beyond legally drunk :shock:
But more and more people do this all the time :!:
The self driving cars may help the drivers.
Are they working on computerized walking assist devices that stop pedestrians before they walk into the path of a moving 4000 pound vehicle :?:

Back on topic (sorry about the diversion), I have not noticed any spite in people going out of their way to walk behind my car. I have gotten weird looks though, since it is usually a commercial truck when you hear the backup beep.

And I do feel bad for my neighbors listening to it every day. I prefer to back into the driveway, but haven't lately since my garage is a mess (I have to nose up to the door to charge). So now they have to listen to it first thing in the morning.

GetOffYourGas said:
... I have gotten weird looks though, since it is usually a commercial truck when you hear the backup beep. ...
No. Some regular vehicles have had it for more than ten years.

I know a lot of people dislike it, and have went to great lengths to turn it and pedestrian alert noise off all the time.

But it was added by Nissan and quite a few other manufacturers in the interest of improved safety.

TimLee said:
GetOffYourGas said:
... I have gotten weird looks though, since it is usually a commercial truck when you hear the backup beep. ...
No. Some regular vehicles have had it for more than ten years.

I know a lot of people dislike it, and have went to great lengths to turn it and pedestrian alert noise off all the time.

But it was added by Nissan and quite a few other manufacturers in the interest of improved safety.

1) I didn't say "exclusively" trucks. Just usually.

2) The only "regular" vehicle I know of that has the beeper is the Prius (also otherwise silent). Not saying you're wrong, but I haven't crossed paths with others. Could you name some?

3) My Leaf's beeper is several orders of magnitude louder than my sister's Prius'. The Prius can only be heard when you are directly behind the car. The Leaf can literally be heard from a block away. Again, speaking about my own 2012 Leaf and my sister's 2014 Prius.

TaylorSFGuy said:
I can't turn it on/off in my 2014 but you can disconnect it. Video instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHWT8VqnRGo

Just so you know, doing this turns off most of the other interior noises as well.

Hmm... perhaps there is a way to find the noise maker for the 'beep' and just wrap it in a soft material to dampen the sound a bit eh?

I wish it were possible to override and turn it off/down when not needed. I am in the "back out of the garage early in the morning" group and it bugs me that I have to annoy my neighbors each time.

GetOffYourGas said:
3) My Leaf's beeper is several orders of magnitude louder than my sister's Prius'. The Prius can only be heard when you are directly behind the car. The Leaf can literally be heard from a block away. Again, speaking about my own 2012 Leaf and my sister's 2014 Prius.

Just to clarify, the reverse beep in the Prius is NOT outside the vehicle. It is not meant to be heard outside, it is a reminder for the occupants inside. With the windows up you can't hear anything outside. It is also easily turned off with a special sequence of button presses inside the cabin or with the Toyota Techstream software. It has been this way and standard since 2004 models in 2003 year.

Slow1 said:
TaylorSFGuy said:
I can't turn it on/off in my 2014 but you can disconnect it. Video instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHWT8VqnRGo

Just so you know, doing this turns off most of the other interior noises as well.

Hmm... perhaps there is a way to find the noise maker for the 'beep' and just wrap it in a soft material to dampen the sound a bit eh?

I wish it were possible to override and turn it off/down when not needed. I am in the "back out of the garage early in the morning" group and it bugs me that I have to annoy my neighbors each time.

Hmmm... maybe that's why my neighbor across the street has to shake my windows by "warming up" his old corvette with headers for 20 minutes before he goes anywhere. Payback for my morning beeps...! :lol:

2k1Toaster said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Just to clarify, the reverse beep in the Prius is NOT outside the vehicle. It is not meant to be heard outside, it is a reminder for the occupants inside. With the windows up you can't hear anything outside. It is also easily turned off with a special sequence of button presses inside the cabin or with the Toyota Techstream software. It has been this way and standard since 2004 models in 2003 year.

Interesting, I did not know that. I have never owned a Prius, so I was just going off my experience around my sister's.

Back