Temporarily disable keyless entry - question for SURFERS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deleted member 14045

With my SUV, I put the key and remote in the hitchsafe when I surf. Looking inside the rear wheel well of my leaf, I see a place I can lock a realtor lockbox to do basically the same thing if I take it to the beach instead. The only problem is, now the remote is sitting on the car, so anyone who wants can just pull the handle and unlock it.

How do I turn this off temporarily?

ElectricMonkey said:
With my SUV, I put the key and remote in the hitchsafe when I surf. Looking inside the rear wheel well of my leaf, I see a place I can lock a realtor lockbox to do basically the same thing if I take it to the beach instead. The only problem is, now the remote is sitting on the car, so anyone who wants can just pull the handle and unlock it.

How do I turn this off temporarily?

If you put the fob inside the car, and just take the removable physical key out of it and put that in the key safe (after locking the car with it), I think you should be OK? The car should not unlock with the (keyless) fob inside the car, I think it knows the difference. And/or the fob with the key removed might be disabled.

The "conducting pouch" (anti static bag for electronics) would be the first thing to try.

If that doesn't work, and you're the only driver on the Leaf, remove the batteries from one of the key fobs and use that when you go to the beach. You would stash your key fob like normal, and use the physical key to unlock the door when you want it, then hold the key fob right by the ignition switch to use the RFID interface to start the ignition.

I have exactly the same issue when going for swims in the ocean. My solution: remove the fob from the "real key", wrap the fob in aluminum foil and leave it in the car. Then I put the "real key" in my wetsuit and lock the car. When I get out I rinse the key in fresh water (don't want salt water in the locks) and unlock the driver door with it.

You cannot lock the car with the fob inside unless you put it in something conducting like aluminum foil: the car detects the fob and won't lock. I am a little surprised car makers have not handled this use case by providing an RF shielded location to stick the fob.

Similar question. Has anyone tried to obtain a key only, with chip? I'd like to have an extra of each vehicle in the other vehicle. On the Hondas, I just use the valet key. Need something like that with the leaf that I can use to unlock the doors and use the key-to-button trick to start the car.

Back