First 30 days and 2000 miles with my 2015 leaf S model

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andolyn

Its been 30 days now. Just a few notes on my beginnings of the Ev experience.
First thing is when I first used the car I would get mileage anxiety. Its so different looking at a mileage guage that shows how many miles are left on your charge versus a gas guage that gives you and idea of how much gas if left in tank. Also the fact that the mileage gauge adjusts to your driving habits and terrain. Where are I could be driving up a steep grade and the mileage would drop while going down or leveling off the mileage would climb. The car itself drives nice. lot more room inside that it looks. Its taken a good month to get the charge stations down in my area. I'm disappointed with the nissan dealers. When i picked up the car i was told that i would have free charge at all dealers for two years. Well that turned out to be not true. The nissan dealer in montclaire Ca. They charge 10$ for their quick charger if you did not purchase the car from them. Most of the other dealers are very respectful of EV Charging. Move cars or what not. I've even been to some dealers and they offer up coffee. The charging infastructure is good and I expect it to grow within the next year a large amount. I have read that some of the local beaches will have chargers on them by next summer 2015. I have noticed different charge quality with different chargers. What I mean by this is that some chargers seem to charger the car and i get more mileage out of the charge. IE: the 30 minute quick chargers I have used give a faster charger but the mileage does not seem to last as long as I get from the L2 at some of the parking structures. The L2 charger seems to give a better charger.
As far as charging at home im still working to see if ti is worth the $$ to install a 220 and buy a L2. I'm looking into the different SCE programs.
The Ev community seems to be pleasant at the charge places. I think we are all learning the etiquete of this new technology. No issues with the car. I usually put about 80-110 miles a day on it.
I'll find out today how it drives in the Rain.
Always looking for a good breakfast place where i can charge my car also.

Andolyn said:
As far as charging at home im still working to see if ti is worth the $$ to install a 220 and buy a L2. I'm looking into the different SCE programs.
The Ev community seems to be pleasant at the charge places. I think we are all learning the etiquete of this new technology. No issues with the car. I usually put about 80-110 miles a day on it.
I'll find out today how it drives in the Rain.
Always looking for a good breakfast place where i can charge my car also.

Well, I'm confident that there are places to eat near many charge locations. Irvine Sprectum Marriott Courtyard hotel has two Nissan / Sumitomo chargers side by side, with numerous places to eat within walking distance.

With the miles you drive per day, it is highly recommended to bite the bullet and get a 30 amp (or higher) J1772 charge station.

It's truly "penny wise and pound foolish" to not have it.

TonyWilliams: Do you have any sources that suggest that the new "Gen 2" Leafs will have a standard or optional on-board charger that can exceed 30a of 240v input?

MikeD said:
TonyWilliams: Do you have any sources that suggest that the new "Gen 2" Leafs will have a standard or optional on-board charger that can exceed 30a of 240v input?

No. I suspect Nissan will stick with 30a AC charging for some time, but got to 100kW DC charging.

the mileage you can travel is in no way impacted by what method the car is charged, a car charged to 80% will go the same distance regardless of how that 80% was added

apvbguy said:
the mileage you can travel is in no way impacted by what method the car is charged, a car charged to 80% will go the same distance regardless of how that 80% was added
True. However, when I charge my 2011 LEAF to "80%" as reported on a CHAdeMO quick charger, the actual state of charge is, due to a LEAF software defect (??), actually less than 80%. This well known discrepancy, which doesn't exist when charging via J-1772, can be confirmed by looking at the resulting "gids", i.e., the stored energy measured in units of 80 Wh visible to an aftermarket app connected via the car's diagnostic port.

TonyWilliams said:
With the miles you drive per day, it is highly recommended to bite the bullet and get a 30 amp (or higher) J1772 charge station. It's truly "penny wise and pound foolish" to not have it.
Absolutely agree! You can't beat waking up to a "full tank" each morning.

Home charging at L1 can be problematic because many 120 volt outlets are not really up to delivering 12 amps continuous due to age and condition. Some folks will find the outlet getting hotter over time with charging. The supplied EVSE (at least in my 2014 unit) has error indications that the plug detected this. (This is why even a suitably heavy duty extension cord is a bad idea - you lose the detection and shutoff if the outlet is too hot.)

This gave me the push to quickly get a 240 volt charge solution going. Using a suitably heavier duty circuit allowed everything to run cool. The faster charge was nice, too. (I replaced the 120 volt outlets with heavy duty units as well, but no longer use them for charging.)

The L3 chargers at the dealership will only take you up to an 80% charge. This is intentional as those high power charges can blow up the battery if taken to 100% - literally, at worst, and at best will deplete battery life. Is that what you're talking about with less range from the dealer?

Not quite accurate... Many of the QCs at the dealerships will take you all the way to 100% if you let them. It is not necessarily harder on the battery but it is a fool's errand as the charge rate tapers at the SOC rises and at the last 10-15% or so, it is not charging any faster than it would on a L2... Thus, you are simply tying up a valuable resource if you stay on a QC above that SOC. If you must go to 100%, move over to the L2; it will be just as fast.

DocMoose said:
The L3 chargers at the dealership will only take you up to an 80% charge. This is intentional as those high power charges can blow up the battery if taken to 100% - literally, at worst, and at best will deplete battery life.

Quick update. 2500 miles. I've learned how to get around a little better and avoid some long halls on freeways with steep grades. the Ev community is great in sharing charge spots. I picked up a Open EVSE from Glenn here on this forum. Glenn posts up here on the private and for sale section with his EVSE for sale. Highy recommend you picking up one if you already do not have a L1 & L2 charger.
Even at L1 it charges faster then the stock nissan charger. box is well made. Glenn goes over all parts of this unit when you pick it up.
unit automatically finds the L1 or L2. you can adjust the charge rate for either setting and it also has a timer you can set for charge.
Good unit highly recommended. rugged and portable.

4 months into this new to me technology. I have had lots of help from this forum and also fellow EV folks out and about. I'm getting over the range anxiety. It was little stressful in the beginning watching the miles read out :shock: . But I'm getting use to it now. I've have found some very useful charging spots on my own and also from folks on this site. I find most if not all Ev folks are very friendly and are ready to share info. I have slowed my driving down a lot. No more 75 MPH on freeway :lol: . Lot safer except for the folks that like to tail gate :twisted: . I am seeing alot of new charge stations going up. :ugeek: I take lunch breaks at places that have charge stations :idea: . I tend to visit areas for shopping with charge stations. The car is so quiet and it's a pleasure not having to gas up. I'm starting to look into solar for my house.
Working on putting in a 220 for faster charging at my house also. I picked up a Ev Level 1& 2 charger from Glen. Great guy and full of info and good product at a fair price. Now if i could find QC stations in la cresenta or La canada?
Warmest regards
Robert
:p

I suspect your experience is quite familiar to many here in the forum.

However ;-), if having a quick charger within 10 miles of your request* is not close enough, you'd better hope that folks from other parts of the country don't read your "complaint" and gang up on you or start intentionally giving you bad advice, etc. (LOL)

* Glendale Nissan has a DCFC and is less than nine miles from La Cañada-Flintridge!

It's been a year and 23600 miles. I have learned alot about the charging structure in so cal and the car itself. The car has been a pleasure to drive. I just had the year check up and and had the service done at puente hills nissan. I have 12 bars and am still getting above 87 miles on the fwy. Usually driving 65 miles an hour or so. Only issue i have run into, is a bent piece in the L2 charger causing the charging system to lockout. Puente hills nissan gave me a loaner car for two days and under warranty replaced the socket. Car is running great. Tires are still good. I am hoping that by 2017 , when my lease is up; the newer version will be at 200 fwy miles charge. I had a 50W plug installed in my house and the charging in much faster. Car has been great and I would purchase again.

Back