Yearly battery check question.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ba49

I called my dealer's service dept. to set up the annual battery check and was asked my mileage. When I told him just under 3000mi. on my 2013 Leaf he said it wasn't required with less than 5000mi. Is this right? I leased it last October. and I thought it was required as part of the lease? I don't want void my 3 year lease.

To keep the battery warranty intact, it's required yearly regardless of mileage.

From my 2012 warranty booklet:

You are required to per- form annual EV Battery Usage Report at intervals of 12 months, 24 months, 36 months, 48 months, 60 months, 72 months, and 84 months. These EV Battery Usage Reports can be performed by a Nissan LEAF certified dealer or any qualified repair shop facility. The 12 and 24 month EV Battery Usage Report will be performed at no charge to the customer, provided the work is done at a Nissan LEAF certified dealer. Any damage or failure resulting from a failure to have these required services performed, or that could have been avoided had these services been performed, is not covered under [sic] war- ranty.

I can't speak to your MY2013, but for my MY2012SL, the first two annual battery checks were both mandatory and free, without regard to mileage. I have pretty low mileage and was about 3000 miles at the end of year 1, about 6700 at end of year two. Both checks were done and both were no charge to me.

ba49 said:
That was my understanding also. I think I will call back and insist they do it because I'm seriously thinking of buying it after the lease.

Open your owner's manual, find the page and then show them. Seems rather simple. IF they balk, go somewhere else OR ask them to give it to you in writing that the check is not required and they will honor your warranty even without it.

Nissan reimburses the dealers for this service, plus your presence at their service department gives them the opportunity to upsell ("We HIGHLY recommend a brake fluid flush and a new in-cabin filter"), so I'm surprised they actually discouraged you from coming in.

If they still discourage you, there will be another dealer who will gladly take your car and will gladly try to take more money out of your pocket than necessary.

ba49 said:
I called my dealer's service dept. to set up the annual battery check and was asked my mileage. When I told him just under 3000mi. on my 2013 Leaf he said it wasn't required with less than 5000mi. Is this right? I leased it last October. and I thought it was required as part of the lease? I don't want void my 3 year lease.
Your profile shows a delivery date of 21 Nov 2013.
The annual "test" (actually just a report generated from the information in the LEAF Battery Management System, you get a copy, a copy goes to Nissan) is required annually on all LEAFs.
But the dealer will not schedule it for you before 22 Nov 2013, because Nissan will not reimburse them for it if it is done early.
You need to be sure it is performed at no cost to you in the three months after 21 Nov 2013.
The first two are free.
You have to pay for the ones thereafter. Probably be somewhere in the $60 to $75 cost depending on the dealer.
The requirement is annual, nothing to do with mileage.

Back