Leafy, we hardly knew ye....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterm

We bought our 2014 Leaf in March. Really enjoyed zipping around.

Today on the way home, a 07 Altima rear ended her as we were moving forward from the stoplight. I don't even thing the driver stepped on their brakes - it was pretty a pretty hard hit.

I'm thinking it's totaled. I'll try to get pics uploaded :(

We too got ours in March. I am sooo sorry to read about your loss. I suspect all riders will be feeling like they have been through a rough sport the weeks coming. Hope all goes well for replacements soon for you.

peterm said:
We bought our 2014 Leaf in March. Really enjoyed zipping around.

Today on the way home, a 07 Altima rear ended her as we were moving forward from the stoplight. I don't even thing the driver stepped on their brakes - it was pretty a pretty hard hit.

I'm thinking it's totaled. I'll try to get pics uploaded :(
I hope that you and your passengers are OK. It really does not take much to total a car these days.

Make the insurance company buy you a 2015 to replace it and enjoy having a new Lizard battery.

Sorry for your loss peterm and hope everyone is OK.
Distracted driving is becoming a really serious problem.
Having lost my second favorite car I've had, a 1988 Merkur Scorpio, in 1995 to it being totaled by a distracted driver, I understand the difficulty of the loss.

Be sure you are OK before you sign any "release of all claims," as the initial shock may mask symptoms of deeper injury(s).

Would be nice if you kept the post alive so we could how you are you and your passengers are doing with respect to the recovery for the vehicle and any injuries sustained in the collision.

Good luck with all.

Having lost a Leaf in a similar accident this spring (rear ended while stopped on freeway), if you think that the car might be totaled it probably is. Sorry for your loss.

If you need a rental car, see get an comparable car, ie a Leaf, perhaps a local car dealer that rents them. I rented from Enterprise, however a quick check doesn't show any from Enterprise in North Carolina.

I was surprised at how sad I felt over losing a car.

WetEV said:
Having lost a Leaf in a similar accident this spring (rear ended while stopped on freeway), if you think that the car might be totaled it probably is. Sorry for your loss.

If you need a rental car, see get an comparable car, ie a Leaf, perhaps a local car dealer that rents them. I rented from Enterprise, however a quick check doesn't show any from Enterprise in North Carolina.

Was your car replaced?

greengate said:
WetEV said:

Was your car replaced?

Insurance paid enough so that my net cost to buy a new Leaf (after tax rebate) was under $2k.

Thanks everyone for the concern. I think we're ok... the car, no so much. here are some pics:

(we all like gore right? :twisted:

http://imgur.com/XxWK7Ro,vmv2yvc,vtRao8U#0
http://imgur.com/XxWK7Ro,vmv2yvc,vtRao8U#1
http://imgur.com/XxWK7Ro,vmv2yvc,vtRao8U#2

still dealing with the insurance company. mine is great (Erie insurance) Geico (the other car) not so much... We're pretty close to calling it a total loss, but not there yet. Preliminary estimate is $14.5k to fix.

Will keep you updated on progress. Right now it doesn't go into drive so I'm going to start a separate thread about that.

peter

My insurance company (Nationwide) offers a new car replacement rider that if the car is less than 3 years old it will be replaced with a new one if totaled. I thought as complicated as the leaf is, that would be a good move, so I bought it.

Ohh my, that is exactly what my Leaf looks like. Makes my heart beat just looking at those pics. Glad you are OK and I hope if it is totaled your insurance will let you get a 2015 model!

I have full replacement as well. They say if they total it, I can go out and get a new Leaf.

Not sure I want to do that because:
1) I wonder what kind of financing I will get. Right now I have 0% :cool:
2) With Tesla's III coming out in a few years, I think the value of an older Leaf will drop precipitously
3) Rumor of the 150 mile+ Leaf in a couple of years. (plus dropping value above)

That said, I may take the money (if it's totaled) and lease a new Leaf. We'll see. Still waiting on the insurance, but will keep everyone informed..

flyonpa said:
How Convenient. A Hertz Rental and We but Cars right across the street.

Talk about one stop shopping...

Yep - saw that too and had to chuckle. Was going to ask them what they would give me for it on trade in... :lol: This was about 2 miles from my house.

I heard that most accidents are within 5 miles of your house. I think I should move.... :idea: :mrgreen:

peterm said:
flyonpa said:
How Convenient. A Hertz Rental and We but Cars right across the street.

Talk about one stop shopping...

Yep - saw that too and had to chuckle. Was going to ask them what they would give me for it on trade in... :lol: This was about 2 miles from my house.

I heard that most accidents are within 5 miles of your house. I think I should move.... :idea: :mrgreen:

Yes, at least 4 miles away...

Such an absolute bummer. I have Geico and they have been great so am sorry to hear that you are having issues with them.

To the OP: Wow, that really sucks! I'm glad you're all right. I got my bumper in a bit of trouble today, but nothing nearly this bad. I wish you the best in your ordeal. :?

Ok, I know it's been awhile, but time for an update.

Looks like damage is $15k, so they are fixing it. I can't get them to total it. This is sad. Under NC law, I may be able to get 'diminishment of value' from Geico.

I'm thinking of trading it in for a 2015 when I get it, but I have a bad feeling I'm going to come out on the losing end of this battle.

Surprisingly, my insurance company thinks it's worth $33k. I think a bit high.

Should be a couple of weeks to repair, I'll let you know what happens when I pick it up.

Peter

Back