Actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt prefers his Leaf over a Tesla

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucedp

Some may know I spend a large amount of time sieving through the newswires every-day for plugin news items, and post them on the evdl.org (the original EV forum way-way-back when the Internet was 'new').

After seeing this interview on a Late-Night talk-show, I searched the newswires and put together the post below that has a video link showing actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt stating he prefers his Leaf EV over a more expensive EV (i.e: a Tesla). Clearly, he is a regular down to earth guy, and is happy his Leaf does everything he needs an EV to do.

The link below is the post I made stored on the evdl.org nabble archive:
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Actor-Joseph-Gordon-Levitt-prefers-his-Leaf-over-an-expensive-EV-video-tp4668067.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt prefers his Leaf over an expensive EV (video)

I hope you all enjoy it :)

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter
Electric Vehicle List News
brucedp.150m.com
(Near Silicon Valley, south of SF, CA USA)

That's cool! Thanks for posting :)

I have to say I was a bit conflicted after actually getting a chance to spend some time with a Tesla.
They are very very very nice.. and fast.. long range.. bells & whistles etc yada yada yada.

But it is pretty big.. and at the end of the day for me it comes down to $/enjoyment or $/utility...
I can't really wrap my head around how rich I'd have to be to pay 4x as much money for
something that goes really fast and provides marginally more utility..
Would I have more fun in a Tesla? Heck yeah!! Would I have 4x as much fun? Doubt it.
Would I have more utility with a Tesla? Something that covered 99% of my driving needs
rather than 96% or 97%? Yeah... 4x as much utility? hardly.
For the 2 or 3 times a year I need more than 120-150 miles range (realistic Leaf range + 1 DCQC stop)
I could rent a car for probably $500/yr + a few hours of hassle.
Hard to justify an extra $70,000 to avoid that.

GregH said:

You must be doing some odd math to get $70K more. You can get an entire brand new model S for right at $60K in CA.

Model S is $63,570 after Federal rebate but before any CA rebate. In CA you get an additional $2,500 from the state.

Leaf is $21,480 after Federal rebate but before any CA rebate. In CA you get an additional $2,500 from the state.

both vehicles are even cheaper if you live in San Joaquin Valley or Lake Elsinore.

So the difference in base models is $42,090, well short of $70,000.

It is roughly 3x the cost though so your 4x comment isn't too far off in flavor.

I own one of each, and while I love the Leaf in many ways, Tesla has a lot more figured out. We've had a hard time putting enough miles on our Leaf to justify the lease expenses, after taking delivery of our Tesla S. The Tesla S is all about the future. It's not affordable, but it points to what will, relatively soon, be possible at a much more affordable price ($35K range).

-Long range batteries are the future, IMHO, they dramatically reduce the need for a public charging network, which is good, seeing how hard it is to create a reliable and lasting business model.
-temperature management is key! not having to worry about the batteries over heating and degrading so quickly is wonderful peace of mind. Also, on a cold day, being able to heat up the battery is very nice. I do believe Nissan made a huge miscalculation when they decided to go forward without temperature management.
-135 kW super charging and a funded nationwide, free for life charging network is, hands down, the way to go. I see really no realistic way for Nissan to get CHAdeMO (50kW) charging spread out enough nationwide. there is simply no decent business model for it. Tesla is baking the cost for their network into their cars and not messing around waiting for third parties to experiment with business models or designs. Tesla's system works and is being deployed with mind boggling speed: http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger. And, Tesla isn't installing one station per site, it's more like upwards of 10 stations. Tesla is using the luxury sedan to fund the charging network installation for the mass market Model E.
-Nissan screwed up on the battery chemistry! Tesla has proven their chemistry is much more tolerant of extremes.
-In it's 4th year of production, Nissan is still playing catch up. they offer no real advancement in range, just incremental improvements due to improved efficiencies. It's like Nissan actually thinks that a 70ish mile range EV actually has a market long term... they are sorely mistaken.
- In the long run, Tesla is the only manufacturer of EV's that appears to be truly positioning itself to disrupt the gas car industry. If Nissan doesn't figure out a way, very soon, to dramatically increase the range of their vehicles, they are in big trouble, IMHO.

GregH said:
That's cool! Thanks for posting :)

I have to say I was a bit conflicted after actually getting a chance to spend some time with a Tesla.
They are very very very nice.. and fast.. long range.. bells & whistles etc yada yada yada.

But it is pretty big.. and at the end of the day for me it comes down to $/enjoyment or $/utility...
I can't really wrap my head around how rich I'd have to be to pay 4x as much money for
something that goes really fast and provides marginally more utility..
Would I have more fun in a Tesla? Heck yeah!! Would I have 4x as much fun? Doubt it.
Would I have more utility with a Tesla? Something that covered 99% of my driving needs
rather than 96% or 97%? Yeah... 4x as much utility? hardly.
For the 2 or 3 times a year I need more than 120-150 miles range (realistic Leaf range + 1 DCQC stop)
I could rent a car for probably $500/yr + a few hours of hassle.

I have to agree with you. I actually own a Tesla Roadster (it's purely for fun), and seriously looked at Model S. It just didn't make any sense. It's range is much better, but it us not a true luxury car, and it's way too expensive. The Leaf is 1/3 of the cost and honestly 80% of the car. That's how I ended up with my Leaf. It ended up being so much more than I expected.

More power to everyone who loves their Model S but at that price they still have a long way to go. At least the Roadster is unique (and most of that comes from the combination of Lotus plus electric motor).

"-In it's 4th year of production, Nissan is still playing catch up. they offer no real advancement in range, just incremental improvements due to improved efficiencies. It's like Nissan actually thinks that a 70ish mile range EV actually has a market long term... they are sorely mistaken."

Another one who fails to understand the BEV market segments. Nissan has targeted the Leaf to compete with ICE
vehicles as a economic commuter vehicle, i.e. for the typical daily city driving range needed. Nissan could easily
add additional battery capacity like Tesla, but the resulting vehicle cost would no longer be considered as a viable
alternate to ICE vehicles, e.g. Honda, or hybrids such as the Prius. The Tesla is just a 'brute-force' solution to
a BEV that any auto manufacturer could have produced.

"- In the long run, Tesla is the only manufacturer of EV's that appears to be truly positioning itself to disrupt the gas car industry. If Nissan doesn't figure out a way, very soon, to dramatically increase the range of their vehicles, they are in big trouble, IMHO."

Dream-on!

There's no significant technologies that Tesla has that other auto manufacturers don't have access to.
Besides, Tesla lacks; economies of scale, a key ecosystem, key patents, dealer networks, etc.
Tesla has 'tapped-into' a very high end inelastic product market where the typical buyer is totally unconcerned
about making an economic purchase decision when buying a means of transportation.

I think this thread will come down to another Tesla verses LEAF discussion which is not now nor has it ever been valid. We might as well be discussing the merits of dump trucks verses pickup trucks. ya they both haul but are they really comparable?

DaveinOlyWA said:
I think this thread will come down to another Tesla verses LEAF discussion which is not now nor has it ever been valid. We might as well be discussing the merits of dump trucks verses pickup trucks. ya they both haul but are they really comparable?

Actually, any car can be comparable. I cancelled a Tesla reservation for the Leaf. I've had a BMW 545 and a Honda Civic. In the end, they are both cars. Because they are the only 2 widely available EVs - otherwise they wouldn't be compared.

The Tesla is quite big and my biggest concern. 70 miles (truly it is more - even the EPA says so) is enough for me except for road trips. We have a second car for that.

In the end, I'll probably get a Tesla for our rather frequent road trips. The inlaws are 170 miles away and we have a vacation house at 130. But I might prefer the Leaf for a quick trip to the store.

Which car is better is completely subjective, it depends upon what you are looking for in a car.
What is better for Joseph is worse for another person.
The Leaf has advantages over the Tesla, and the Tesla has advantages over the Leaf.

When the advantages in the Leaf match up with your wants and needs more so than those of the Tesla, the Leaf is then the better car.

I saw the interview, he actually said he loves the Tesla, but doesn't want to be seen driving an expensive car... In other words, he's just cheap :) or he doesn't need to go far each day.

Here is the interview, they talk about cars at about the 4 minute mark

http://youtu.be/ryHGq7m8jbc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davidcary said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Actually, any car can be comparable. I cancelled a Tesla reservation for the Leaf. I've had a BMW 545 and a Honda Civic. In the end, they are both cars. Because they are the only 2 widely available EVs - otherwise they wouldn't be compared.

The Tesla is quite big and my biggest concern. 70 miles (truly it is more - even the EPA says so) is enough for me except for road trips. We have a second car for that.

In the end, I'll probably get a Tesla for our rather frequent road trips. The inlaws are 170 miles away and we have a vacation house at 130. But I might prefer the Leaf for a quick trip to the store.

yep, like comparing Denver verses Seattle in SB48 so you are literally correct but is this where you really want to go?

mitch672 said:
I saw the interview, he actually said he loves the Tesla, but doesn't want to be seen driving an expensive car... In other words, he's just cheap :) or he doesn't need to go far each day.

Here is the interview, they talk about cars at about the 4 minute mark

http://youtu.be/ryHGq7m8jbc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not sure we can take his comments literally

DaveinOlyWA said:

Why not? He's a Tesla fan, just can't see driving/banging it up on LA streets, and he probably has an ICE for trips out of the Leafs range.

mitch672 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Why not? He's a Tesla fan, just can't see driving/banging it up on LA streets, and he probably has an ICE for trips out of the Leafs range.

considering his career lately, he probably swaps between helicopter and private jet for out of town jaunts

lorenfb said:
Another one who fails to understand the BEV market segments. Nissan has targeted the Leaf to compete with ICE
vehicles as a economic commuter vehicle, i.e. for the typical daily city driving range needed. Nissan could easily
add additional battery capacity like Tesla, but the resulting vehicle cost would no longer be considered as a viable
alternate to ICE vehicles, e.g. Honda, or hybrids such as the Prius. The Tesla is just a 'brute-force' solution to
a BEV that any auto manufacturer could have produced."

Actually, I used to be idealistic like that, but my conclusion has changed with real world experience over time with the Leaf. I've been at this for several years, so what I'm saying isn't just Tesla fanboyism but it is of course, just my opinion. My latest Leaf has 6K miles on it and can't even do a round trip to the airport (about 50 miles) on a single charge, after just one year! I would suggest that the Leaf is the worst EV in this respect. there is no ICE vehicle that looses range with age like this, Nissan has failed with respect to battery life. Sure, some of it will come back with warmer weather, but each year, less and less of it will. Even with a brand new Leaf, the range is too limited. there is a reason that gas cars get 300+ miles of range, because conditions vary and occasionally you need/want to go much further than your daily commute. cold, rain, sleet, snow, wind, elevation all take their toll on range. The Leaf's range can very as much as 50% depending on conditions! I think 150 to 200 miles is going to turn out to be the lowest new battery range limit for a mass market EV. That may sound like a lot but lets be realistic, in the worst of conditions, without temperature management, a 200 mile Leaf will get more like 100 miles of range. If charged only to 80%, call it 90 miles and that is new. most people want to arrive home with some extra miles in the tank or they get stressed. Put a few years on that battery and you could easily see a 20% drop further and as some are finding out, that range loss doesn't level out, it can accelerate with time. We all hoped that quick chargers would fill the gap but so far, CHAdeMO turns out to be pretty unreliable, not user friendly. the stations that do work, can all too often end up with long lines. a larger battery would mean less reliance on public chargers. I try my best to get out of the early adopter mind set and imagine if any of this would be acceptable to the mainstream, because that is what is necessary to gain mass acceptance and disruptive sales numbers. So far, Nissan has missed the mark.

lorenfb said:
- In the long run, Tesla is the only manufacturer of EV's that appears to be truly positioning itself to disrupt the gas car industry. If Nissan doesn't figure out a way, very soon, to dramatically increase the range of their vehicles, they are in big trouble, IMHO."

Dream-on!

(1)There's no significant technologies that Tesla has that other auto manufacturers don't have access to.
(2)Besides, Tesla lacks; economies of scale, a key ecosystem, key patents, dealer networks, etc.
(3)Tesla has 'tapped-into' a very high end inelastic product market where the typical buyer is totally unconcerned
about making an economic purchase decision when buying a means of transportation.

(1) Actually, that is not correct, 135 kW charging through a sleek, single plug is far beyond the industry standard (nearly 3x CHAdeMO). Also, the batteries are holding up very well in terms of range. but much of what Tesla is using to get ahead, is the way it's compounding available technology on top of their true advancements.

(2)Tesla is taking a very different approach to achieving economy of scale, from the top down and it appears to be working so far. By eliminating dealer networks, they leverage the money saved by having no middle man into value delivered. By eliminating the dealership model, they get to do things like spend the several thousand dollars per car on the nationwide/global "free for life" charging network. Economy of scale has already brought the in house cost of batteries to something like $250 a kW, well below the industry standard. Tesla is on the verge of announcing plans for their gigafactory, which, if successful, will give them the edge over battery production, allowing them to mass produce batteries on a scale never before seen in the industry. they are betting the farm on this providing the economy of scale necessary to provide a long range, economical car for the masses that can rival gas car production levels.

(3) maybe I'm not typical, but the value proposition was/is a considerable in my decision. It's hard to find a car on the market that looses residual value like the Leaf. The only way Nissan is maintaining sales is by offering great lease deals. The Tesla S is holding up quite well in terms of residual value, Tesla even guarantees the residual value! For me the original equation I used for justifying the Tesla S was remarkably compelling. we have a family of four, we were looking to replace our 7 passenger hybrid Toyota Highlander, it cost around $50 K with local sales tax and about $3,000 a year to fuel, or $30K over a ten year period. A loaded 85 kW Tesla S is roughly $92K with state sales tax exemption and federal rebate, minus fuel savings and free super charging on road trips, making it around $62K for a ten year period. We figured the $12K delta between an 85kW Tesla S and hylander was quite justifiable for a couple of reasons. We were willing to pay some premium to support a company that was truly revolutionizing the auto industry and we knew we would enjoy the near super car performance... for us, we were right, actually, it feels like a deal! Honestly, it's hard to beat the value of a Tesla Model S with respect to performance. Our second car is our Leaf. at the end of the Lease we will look at what Nissan has to offer vs the competition and likely buy the longest range EV offered in the $30K range. I haven't totally given up on Nissan yet, but they need to step up to the plate more in terms of lasting range to keep us as customers and they need to make dramatic advancements to compete in the coming years with the likes of Tesla and their gen III coming in just a few years.

mitch672 said:

Or, just doesn't want to be seen as ostentatious.

"Actually, I used to be idealistic like that, but my conclusion has changed with real world experience over time with the Leaf. I've been at this for several years, so what I'm saying isn't just Tesla fanboyism but it is of course, just my opinion. "

Basically a total naive typical Tesla fanboy, i.e. like the typical posters found on the Tesla forum.
Probably not even a Leaf owner, right? Over on the Tesla forum posters like this are called "trolls".

"My latest Leaf has 6K miles on it and can't even do a round trip to the airport (about 50 miles) on a single charge, after just one year! I would suggest that the Leaf is the worst EV in this respect. there is no ICE vehicle that looses range with age like this,"

Then warranty the vehicle!

"Nissan has failed with respect to battery life. Sure, some of it will come back with warmer weather, but each year, less and less of it will. Even with a brand new Leaf, the range is too limited. there is a reason that gas cars get 300+ miles of range, because conditions vary and occasionally you need/want to go much further than your daily commute. cold, rain, sleet, snow, wind, elevation all take their toll on range."

Nissan can easily produce a 'Tesla Pig' with a 200 mile range and another 500 to 700 lbs of additional
weight. And oh yes, you'll be first in line to spend the extra $10K - $15K for the 200 mile "Gen3
(Tesla proposed joke BEV) Leaf", right?

"The Leaf's range can very as much as 50% depending on conditions! I think 150 to 200 miles is going to turn out to be the lowest new battery range limit for a mass market EV. That may sound like a lot but lets be realistic, in the worst of conditions, without temperature management, a 200 mile Leaf will get more like 100 miles of range."

Another stupid comment!

Tesla owners need to read this;
http://seekingalpha.com/article/2041763-why-a-profitable-35000-tesla-model-e-is-a-pipe-dream?source=yahoo#comments_header" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back