Replacing a flat tire and TPMS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schamberlin

My wife's Leaf just got a flat tire. The fix-a-flat can seems to have saved the day for the moment, but how do you replace a tire on this thing?

Do we need to buy a "TPMS compatible tire", or will the pressure sensor work with an appropriately-sized tire? Is it OK to replace just the one tire that went flat, or do we need to replace two or four? What are the more popular options for replacing the stock Ecopia tires?

Your TPMS sensor is now toast. So you need one new tire and a new sensor. Unless the tires on that end of the car will be too mismatched for tread depth, in which case you'll need two tires and one sensor.

Use of the goop is not recommended by those of us who know how much the sensors cost. It truly is best to just get the car towed to a tire shop and not try to fix it on the side of the road.

Edit: if you end up needing two new tires and get the good old tire back from the tire shop, I would be interested in buying it as a spare for my own car. It would be a good match to my tires with 31k on them.

Well, poop. Given that the fix-a-flat can is the only solution Nissan gives you, a warning that it would destroy your TPMS sensor would be nice.

Is it viable to not replace the sensor, and just leave that one toasted? None of our previous cars have had TPMS, so I really wouldn't miss it if it didn't work on this car either. Or if not, will any tire repair shop be able to replace the sensor, or do we need a Nissan dealer to do it?

schamberlin said:
Is it viable to not replace the sensor, and just leave that one toasted? None of our previous cars have had TPMS, so I really wouldn't miss it if it didn't work on this car either. Or if not, will any tire repair shop be able to replace the sensor, or do we need a Nissan dealer to do it?

If the sensor is not working, the TPMS light will be illuminated. Also, for liability reasons, most tire shops will insist that any faulty TPMS sensors be replaced. Any tire shop could replace them, but when I was at Costco the other week I overheard the manager telling another customer that the TPMS sensor for her particular car could only be bought from Toyota.

What a shame that we are now stuck with these new dangled monitoring systems.

My 2000 Toyota Sienna (that the LEAF replaced) had a much simpler system. Since it had ABS brakes, the computer compared wheel speeds, and if a wheel speed changed because of low inflation, it was reported as a problem.

Simple and did the job.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

I will use the roadside assistance for the LEAF and the Tesla. Shucks, Tesla gives you nothing - no spare, no repair kit.

Has anyone tried using a plug-type repair kit? If the "goop" ruins the sensor, then a plug seems like a much better repair to get you home and to a tire shop.

LeftieBiker said:
Has anyone tried using a plug-type repair kit? If the "goop" ruins the sensor, then a plug seems like a much better repair to get you home and to a tire shop.

Yes. It's what I always do. Well, unless it's a puncture too large to take a plug (which has happened) or a sidewall issue.

LeftieBiker said:
Yes. In fact you may be able to skip the tire shop altogether. After all, if they can repair the tire, their fix will be to plug it.

This thread contains advice that every LEAF owner should read and heed. One line summary: Get yourself an inexpensive plug kit NOW.

Ray

The problem is that if all tires go down over time, it won't sense it...

ebill3 said:
My 2000 Toyota Sienna (that the LEAF replaced) had a much simpler system. Since it had ABS brakes, the computer compared wheel speeds, and if a wheel speed changed because of low inflation, it was reported as a problem.
Simple and did the job.

mwalsh said:
LeftieBiker said:

Yes. It's what I always do. Well, unless it's a puncture too large to take a plug (which has happened) or a sidewall issue.

In those cases I doubt the goop would work, either... If it did, I'd worry about driving on it.

planet4ever said:
Yes. In fact you may be able to skip the tire shop altogether. After all, if they can repair the tire, their fix will be to plug it.

This thread contains advice that every LEAF owner should read and heed. One line summary: Get yourself an inexpensive plug kit NOW.

Ray

Well, a tire shop will plug and patch. The idea (supposedly) being that their technique will stop moisture from getting into the steel belts. That may be true, though I don't buy it. I have only plugged for YEARS, and have never had a problem. So that's the way I'll continue. YMMV.

Back