8000 miles, front Ecopia's already at wear bars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kubel

I can't believe how lousy these tires are. Of course, I am a spirited driver, but not THAT spirited. Even wear.

Any tips on a good replacement?

I have 16K on my original tires so far. Still look to have plenty of tread.
But my commute is mostly in a straight line without much cornering.

thedak said:
Rotate them...

I was hoping to hold off until the end of next month so I can throw on my snow tires, then when spring comes I'll rotate when I put back on my all seasons. Worked out well for my gas car, and it has softer high performance tires. I'm finding, oddly, that I'm putting way more miles on my LEAF than I put on my gas car. I thought the limited range would have an opposite effect. :D

Besides the driver, tire life can also vary significantly depending on road conditions. I remember borrowing a car book (don't remember the title) AGES ago where they had a map of the US showing expected tire life depending on the region. I think they had different shading and letters assigned to various regions that were supposed to correspond with a column to look at for projected tire lifetime.

http://www.minbcnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=436779#.UIh9EMXA9CY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, I've lived here my entire life. That removes that variable. Also, I've owned other cars with other tires. And I've always been a 'spirited driver'. I've never burned through tires this fast before.

TomT said:
The Michelin MXV4.

I was actually looking at the MXV4's. Primacy or Energy? Any noticeable decrease in range? I'm guessing they beat the Ecopia's in pretty much every other category. Significant increase in fun-ness? Will I burn through these faster than the Ecopia's as a result? :lol:

Primacy. And no, I didn't detect enough difference in range to be statistically significant. CR rated both them and the Ecopias as excellent in rolling resistance. Beyond that however, the Michelins were rated number 1 and the Ecopias dead last.

kubel said:
TomT said:
The Michelin MXV4.
I was actually looking at the MXV4's. Primacy or Energy? Any noticeable decrease in range? I'm guessing they beat the Ecopia's in pretty much every other category. Significant increase in fun-ness? Will I burn through these faster than the Ecopia's as a result? :lol:

kubel said:
I went with the primacy MXM4 which is similar to the MXV4 except with better rated handling and braking, albeit not as good wear life. Initially, range decreased by 5% but after 1000 miles it was no more than 1% or 2% (basically, the same) at most and the fun factor increased exponentially!

kubel said:
TomT said:
The Michelin MXV4.

The Ecopia's are Cr&#P cheap OE tires.
I have MXV4's on both my TDI's and my Leaf.
I wouldn't drive on a Firestone / Bridgestone just on principal anyway.

The OE size MXV4 replacement made the car quieter, noticeably better handling, and night and day wet braking.
I'm further Upgrading next week to 225 45 17 Michelin MXM4's on 17 X 7 Juke wheels.

I'd like to take credit for the idea, but Tony did it first:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7619&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This thread has lots of info from people who made the MXV4 change.

Primacy. And no, I didn't detect enough difference in range to be statistically significant. CR rated both them and the Ecopias as excellent in rolling resistance. Beyond that however, the Michelins were rated number 1 and the Ecopias dead last.

I didn't see this post before.
That's interesting information from a pretty reliable source.

mwalsh said:
KillaWhat said:
I'm further Upgrading next week to 225 45 17 Michelin MXM4's on 17 X 7 Juke wheels.
Also really want to go the Juke wheel route when my stock tires are worn out.
I went with these - they're aluminium and lighter then stock wheels by a few pounds so evens out with the MXM4 being a few pounds heavier than stock.
Photo%2520May%252002%252C%25203%252018%252011%2520PM.jpg

Back