I TEST DROVE A CHEVY BOLT!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powersurge

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to share that Yesterday I was able to test-drive a Chevy Bolt on Long Island, NY,.. It was quite an experience... Salesman had the car charged up to 100% and was very pleasant. The dash showed 200 miles of range.

The Car - The car is smaller than the Leaf, in width, length, and only appears to seat 4 people. It looked a little bit taller than the leaf. Trunk has a removable false floor, which looked really cheap, apparently made (of all things) Very Breakable Styrofoam!! With the false floor in place, the trunk was tiny (hold about 3 paper supermarket bags standing up). The engine compartment was TINY, that was no more than my arms-length deep. The engine, I believe however, is more powerful than the leaf (reportedly 150KW motor vs the Leaf 80KW). My first impression with those numbers is that there is a lot of room here for people to "play" with those 200 horses (hp) and bring the real range of the bolt down from 200 miles to the Leaf's 100 miles of range.... Oh.. Yes, there is an "on demand" battery regeneration "Toggle Paddle" behind the steering wheel (like instant "B" mode for you Leaf People). The regen mode was so strong that I was able to bring the car to a stop from 30 mph in about 100 feet. This may be a mixed blessing, as I imagine that when you do this, the brake lights may not go on, and someone behind you can rear-end you.

OPTIONS AND EQUIPMENT- The Bolt I drove had a $500 rear facing "sensor package". When you get too close to something, AND when you are in reverse, getting out of a parking lot space. If a car is coming as you are in reverse, it tells you. There was also a $700 package for Blind spot sensors and lane changing sensors if someone is trying to cut you off. Instead of the Leaf's ever popular Ecopia tires, this car had Michellins, which seemed to be very firm and sure footed. Interior is totally hard plastic, (with a lot of front leg room due to no console in the middle). It reminded me of the "naked" looking, Spartan interior of the BMW I3... Infotainment video screen - looked like a bright 10 inch Ipad stuck to the dash. Speedometer cluster - another about 8" screen with very Bright colors. The electric heater that the salesman put on was really warm and powerful, but I don't know if it was up to MAX, and used up a lot of watts of electricity ..

DRIVE - Not much to say... The drive was like everything we know about a Leaf, but MUCH quicker. The car is very nimble, and responds from a stop faster than the Leaf. The car has a regular and "sport" button. In sport mode, the car is close to "ludicrous speed". I have to admit that when I got back into my Leaf, I felt like I was driving grandma's car... I don't know if that great acceleration will cost you range, however, making the "real world range" down to the range of the Leaf. With the Michelin tires, the car goes over bumps very nimbly, and the suspension appears to be set to a more sporty springiness than the Leaf.

GOOD -
- front seats move far back and give enough headroom for even 6'4" drivers
- A lot of electronics for you control happy guys.
- Very muscular ride and suspension.
- Powerful engine and acceleration.
- Radar sensors for those who like that kind of stuff.
- Great 200 mile range.
-

BAD - (for my taste)
- Car is more narrow and smaller than the Leaf
- The third passenger in the back would not work unless you have 3 pre-teen kids. Hip room was terrible.
- Large and bright video screens on Speedo and the center "infotainment" console is very bright, annoying and distracting.
- Small trunk
- Engine may be a touch too powerful for the general public. I think it encourages.. how should I say.... "unwise", "adrenalin" driving, which also kills your range.
- Dealers will sell at list price with the more expensive packages, no incentive, and no financing deals, (other than the Federal $7500 tax credit.)
- AND FINALLY !!!!!>>>>>>........ PRICE... The car I drove had a list price of $43K (out the door)...

WOULD I RECOMMEND BUYING ONE?
Yes, if you are:
- A NEW EV buyer who wants to enter the EV community.
- Someone who currently does not have any investment in an electric car.
- Are looking for a higher range car than the Leaf.
- Want a very quick, nimble economy-sized car.
- Don't mind a smaller car than the LEAF.
- Have a sizable bank account to pay for your new "premium" priced, "econobox" sized car.
- Were considering a Tesla, and want to spend less for a fast, high-range electric car.

IS THERE A BOLT IN MY NEAR FUTURE?
NOPE... I own my LEAF, I do not lease... My Leaf is a great, good sized, perfect (for me) ranged Electric car. I do not need to pay for and carry around a large (200 mile range) battery because I do not drive over 80 miles per day. Finally, and most importantly (IMHO). Even if the new Bolt may be a gem of a car, I will NEVER pay over $35K for an econobox-sized car... I think I will be happy driving my Leaf until the Battery's electronic "pixies" fly up to heaven!!!

OVERALL THOUGHTS - I think that the new Bolt will sell well, however, not in manner that we Leaf drivers expect... I don't think that the Bolt will be the direct rival of the Nissan Leaf... I think that the Leaf appears to have entered the car market as the "working-man's electric car"... Or.. The Volkswagen Beetle of the EV industry. I think that the Bolt will take away business from the other High-range electric car, the Tesla, especially since the Tesla is realistically out of the majority of people's financial range. Personally, I don't think that the Tesla will EVER be considered a mainstream vehicle, but maybe the Chevy Bolt will???

We shared some of the same impressions. A couple other things I noticed. Its louder than a leaf. I didn't like the front seats. I did like the acceleration but not really a requirement. And yah it felt too small to me.

After our test drive we drove straight home and made a deal on the phone for a brand new leaf with the 30KWH battery. It just has a more refined feel for us. To each his own though. Everybody has different needs and tastes. Doubling the range of the leaf is pretty much useless to us but I am sure would be useful to others depending on their situation.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, even though we didn't actually drive one(the one we looked was at the auto show) we did spend quite a bit of time inside it, front and back and checked things out pretty thorough and I'd have to say we agreed pretty well with what you said, including your outcome.

1. I thought it was just a bit cramped, not nearly as bad as the totally undoable Volt but not as roomy as the Leaf(if you can call the Leaf roomy....) the one exception was front seat legroom which was wild, more than even I need which is saying something. As you said the backseat was basically a bad joke, I've sat in the back of my Leaf but I'd be hard pressed to drive more than around the block in the Bolt, front seats weren't bad but not as nice as the Leaf.
2. I also thought the dash to be a bit much, I suppose they are trying to compete with the Tesla, I prefer my Leafs more spartan dash.
3. Power, heck I don't even like my Leaf in non eco mode, I'm sure I wouldn't care at all for the peppiness of the Bolt.
4. Range, sure I guess more is better but truthfully 80-100 miles would be just fine for our town car, when we go on our 2-3 times/year 500+ mile trip the Bolt wouldn't really be practical anyway, because of this I'm thinking our next EV/PEV might be a Prius Prime with shorter EV range but unlimited gas range and the Leafs for shorter trips around town and work commutes.
5. Plastics, a bit too much for me too, compared to the Bolt, even my even basic S Leaf is a lux-mobile.

I wish Chevy luck with the Bolt, for smaller people who don't need a lot of room and really want a lot of range(and are willing to pay for it) I'd think it would be a pretty decent option, just not for us.

The car that the OP drove was a Premiere. The LT doesn't come with the false floor, but also doesn't come with heated seats and wheel standard - you need the "comfort package." I plan to drive a Premiere, and sit in an LT, but unless I'm surprised by how much I like it (and unless they are offering a better lease deal!) I'll be ordering a Leaf...1.8?... in September.

powersurge said:
Hi everyone.

The car has a regular and "sport" button. In sport mode, the car is close to "ludicrous speed".

I assume you are joking if you are referring to a Tesla with ludicrous mode.

EVDRIVER said:
powersurge said:
Hi everyone.

The car has a regular and "sport" button. In sport mode, the car is close to "ludicrous speed".

Well, not the OP here but it does feel quick and although not as quick as the Tesla S we drove it is fairly quick through a certain band, maybe not the entire 0 to 60 band but yah, it's quick and for some drivers will probably get you in trouble. Nice but not a selling feature for me. Our leaf is always in Eco mode. To each his own. There was a time when I was a lot more aggressive behind the wheel so yah, I get it.

PS, our smart ED is also very quick in a certain band but zero to 60 is relatively mild at 9 seconds. Zero to 40 though......

EVDRIVER said:
powersurge said:
Hi everyone.

What I meant was that the car is quick in the standard mode, and even quicker in "sport" mode.

I was making an association between the Tesla and Spaceballs...

If you buy and can get the full $7500 credit, skip this.

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2017/03/bolt-verses-leaf-is-twice-range-worth.html

If it works like the Volt, the brake light is controlled via the deceleration rate so it does work with Regen beyond a certain point (something like 0.15G I believe). Of course, it always comes on when you touch the brake pedal...

Also, the brightness of the dash and center screen can be independently controlled in both day and night mode so you can turn it down if you like...

powersurge said:
Oh.. Yes, there is an "on demand" battery regeneration "Toggle Paddle" behind the steering wheel (like instant "B" mode for you Leaf People). The regen mode was so strong that I was able to bring the car to a stop from 30 mph in about 100 feet. This may be a mixed blessing, as I imagine that when you do this, the brake lights may not go on, and someone behind you can rear-end you.

$43k though? There are a number of used Teslas on CL right now for around $45k. I know there are incentives for purchasing new, but damn. $43k seems unreasonable.

LincolnW said:
$43k though? There are a number of used Teslas on CL right now for around $45k. I know there are incentives for purchasing new, but damn. $43k seems unreasonable.

Yes for what you get it is.

LincolnW said:
You don't get the $7500 tax incentive on the used Tesla, and it is a used car. So that probably does make a bit of difference in many people's minds. I would still lean towards the used Tesla...

Back