Warranty on Nissan Leaf Question on Servicing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NissanLeafCamper

Hi Guys,

I am planning on buying a 2013 used nissan leaf that is still covered by its warranty. Likely bumper to bumper will still be active for a few months. Then there is the power train which I think will be something like 2 years. Then battery which is a total of 10 (Minus the years that already passed).

Anyway, I went to the dealer and asked some questions on a leaf and I was told that warranties don't cover everything. I've never had a car with a warranty from a dealer so this is new to me (I've also never had a new car). He mentioned that the tires are not covered, brake pads, and rotors are also not covered; though I read online that these items have their own manufacturer warranties?

Then I went online and did a little search and it seems that oil changes and fluid changes are not covered by the warranty? That or the service is not covered. I am also talking about taking the leaf into the dealer for work, not into a third party.

What other things are not covered by nissan leaf warranty? I tried to ask the sales guy more, but he gave me the run around and did not answer me. Perhaps he did not know? Just exactly what other items are not covered?

Also since I want to buy a used 2013 leaf (From a dealer perhaps not nissan dealer since they seem to sell used leafs much more expensive). What steps do I need to do to be sure the warranty is still active? I am thinking buying form a dealer would be safer than from a person. At least right now all the leafs I see in los angeles that are cheap (10k or less) are being sold by dealers, so I can't really buy from an individual. Should I just call nissan from the dealer to make sure the warranty is still in effect? The dealer might say the warranty is still lgood, but not put it in writing ... and I don't want any problems.

I have a feeling I'll be buying from a dealer that is not a nissan dealer since they have cheaper prices on their leafs :(. I could use the help!

Also! One last question. I always thought that a warranty would cover all repairs but it seems that is not the case. for example the oil change, from what I read online, is not covered? So that is I guess service and oil? What other things are not covered by the nissan leaf warranty? (Feeling like I just repeated myself..)

NissanLeafCamper said:
Hi Guys,

I always thought that a warranty would cover all repairs but it seems that is not the case. for example the oil change,
I can assure you that an oil change on a Leaf will not be covered :D

NissanLeafCamper said:
Then I went online and did a little search and it seems that oil changes and fluid changes are not covered by the warranty? That or the service is not covered. I am also talking about taking the leaf into the dealer for work, not into a third party.
Umm.. A LEAF has no engine oil to be changed, and no oil filter. There is some oil in the reduction gear that couples the motor to the wheels, but the maintenance schedules only have this as an "inspect every 15Kmiles" item; it should hardly ever need replacing. The only other fluids I can think of are brake fluid, drive/charger/motor coolant, windshield washer fluid, and whatever fluid the air conditioner/heat pump uses. The owner's manual alleges a need to periodically flush/replace the brake fluid, but there is considerable dispute as to whether you truly need to do that as often as the manual claims. Just skimming the owner's manual, there's a section on how to inspect/top up the coolant level, but it's not mentioned on the maintenance schedule; I get the impression that the coolant is expected to last the life of the car, and I don't remember ever hearing anyone on this Forum mention even having to supplement the coolant, let alone replace it. Air conditioner refrigerant is pretty much as on other cars; you only need to replace it if a line or a seal breaks.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I actually did not know the engine had no oil.... That is good to know :) Less maintenance just like I herd for EVs. So, I have a question for leaf owners... do you have to pay for the yearly inspection? Also, have you had to do a repair on the leaf that incurred some type of charge when you took it in to the dealer and was still under warranty. I used to think that while the car is under warranty all repairs are covered and you don't have to pay for anything. After reading a little bit it seems that not everything is covered (Fluids? Tires, Brakes, Rotors?) and I am not sure if the service it self is fully covered in all cases? Could someone help me with that?

Those things are all considered "maintenance items", which wear out normally through use, so are not covered by warranty, just like tires and windshield wiper blades.

NissanLeafCamper said:
Thanks for the replies guys,

I actually did not know the engine had no oil.... That is good to know :)
It does NOT have an engine.
It has a motor.

Nissan requires an annual battery "test" to maintain the warranties, including the 8 year , 100,000 mile warranty.
About $50.
Nissan only provides the first two free.

TimLee said:
It does NOT have an engine.
It has a motor.
"Engine" and "motor" are synonyms, with no reason to pick one over the other but poetry. Cans of Valvoline or Pennzoil do not say "Engine Oil" , they say "Motor Oil", because they get poured into a car's Engine, of course. A brand-new "crate motor" needs quite a bit of oil poured in so it doesn't seize up out on the Motorway. Just make sure you've gotten a proper license from your Department of Engine Vehicles before you drive it.

Google displayed this nice comment from MIT on the subject

The way I was always taught is that an "engine" makes it's own power, while a "motor" has it's power supplied. There are surely thousands of ways people may differentiate them, but I think that is the basics.

Levenkay said:
"Engine" and "motor" are synonyms ...
While they are often used interchangeably for gasoline engines (or motors by some), in 35 years in the utility industry I have never heard anyone refer to an electric powered motor as an engine.

Nissan calls it a motor.
To call it an engine is incorrect usage.

Back