Can a Leaf use a Tesla EV Charger?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twbaker

First, I apologize if this question has already been asked, but after some preliminary digging I couldn't find my answer.

So I'm wondering if a Nissan Leaf can charge up at a Tesla EV Charger? I've heard of a workaround for the opposite, but I wasn't sure if it worked this way.

The charger I am in question about is in Centrailia, WA at a Burgerville there.

http://www.recargo.com/sites/1254/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm really curious because this would be a great midpoint to potentially charge at for a trip from Portland to Seattle (especially considering that you could kill time at all the outlet stores there). Thanks.

Nope, not compatible. Many Tesla charging stations are being "upgraded" to J1772 since most Roadster owners are buying the J1772 charge cable for their car so they can utilize the public infrastructure being built out.

drees said:
Nope, not compatible. Many Tesla charging stations are being "upgraded" to J1772 since most Roadster owners are buying the J1772 charge cable for their car so they can utilize the public infrastructure being built out.

So if a particular Tesla charging station was upgraded to J1772 would that make it compliant with the Leaf? Or would there still be something preventing it from working. I've been reading how the leaf uses a 5 pin vs. 4 pin on the Tesla.

Yes, Tesla charging stations can be upgraded to be made fully J1772 compliant so it will charge the LEAF.

What drees is saying is correct. The Tesla charging stations (EVSE's) along the west coast I-5 corridor (and Ellensburg on I-90, and Barstow on I-15, for example) still have the proprietary Tesla connector -- including Centralia -- and are *not* compatible with LEAF. The ones that have been converted to J-plug (and are LEAF compatible) are along 101 and I-80 in California (except that the Rocklin one is still Tesla).

See http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/3974-PIA-Blog-Tesla-Trippin?p=78080&viewfull=1#post78080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DarkStar said:
Well, in theory it wouldn't be difficult to make an adapter if you could get a hold of the Tesla inlet. The trouble though is getting that inlet! ;)
There's no trouble getting a Tesla inlet, except that the only way I know to do it costs $800.

The fifth pin on the J1772 connector is implemented entirely in the J1772 connector, and used only by the EV to know when the latch is released prior to removing the plug. So, a Tesla HPC with a J connector is a J1772 charging station, barely distinguishable from a Clipper Creek CS-100.

The Tesla owners worked very hard over the past 3 years to get those few stations installed. They are extremely valuable to the Tesla community because they can supply 70A, while most of the J1772 stations being installed are limited to 30A.

I'm sure there will soon be plenty of J1772 stations everywhere there's a Tesla station. If you're lobbying for a site to put in a station, and they don't qualify for one of the federal grants that limit stations to 30A, be sure to encourage them to put in a 75A Clipper Creek CS-100, the only station that comes close to the 80A Level 2 limit. At the very least, anyone digging trenches or running conduit through walls should plan for future EVs that will want more than 30A.

My 2012 Leaf SL has two charge ports, 120V/240V, and 440V. How do those ports relate to the discussion on using Tesla charging stations? In my garage I have a Schneider Electric EVlink 240V charger with a J1772 plug, and all Salt Lake City charging stations have J1772 plugs. It seems that my car has the wiring for the higher voltage quick charge but the outlet is not J1772. Would I need an adapter for my 440V port to connect with a Tesla plug?

1archie1 said:
My 2012 Leaf SL has two charge ports, 120V/240V, and 440V. How do those ports relate to the discussion on using Tesla charging stations? In my garage I have a Schneider Electric EVlink 240V charger with a J1772 plug, and all Salt Lake City charging stations have J1772 plugs. It seems that my car has the wiring for the higher voltage quick charge but the outlet is not J1772. Would I need an adapter for my 440V port to connect with a Tesla plug?

http://quickchargepower.com will be shortly making J1772->Tesla adapter which would allow you to connect your LEAF to a Tesla HPWC at 240 volts.

Now your "440v port" is not actually 440 volts it peaks at just under 400 volts based on the voltage range of the pack. This port is called CHAdeMO also known as DC Quick Charger (DCQC) or DCFC. You will not be able to use this port on the Tesla SuperCharger network and Tesla has no public plans to allow this in the future.

Check out a great app called PlugShare which will allow you to filter the different types of charging stations so you can see where the CHAdeMO stations are.

Back