Extension Cord Stopped Working Again...for the 5th time :(

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevintylernelson

I still cannot figure out what is causing these damn extension cords to just suddenly stop working! A little background on this, I had a 240V outlet installed on the front of my townhouse, with a weatherproof cover that allows the cord to hang out the bottom while plugged in. My car is about 40ft from the outlet, so I use a 50ft heavy duty 20A extension cord which is then plugged into my TurboCord. This setup worked flawlessly for 8 months before the TurboCord would throw an error code. So I received a replacement extension cord which worked for another 6 months, then another replacement lasted 5 more months. This time I decided to purchase my own terminal ends:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...3&partNumber=181723-427-620SPAZ&storeId=10151
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...53&partNumber=157163-427-620SCZ&storeId=10151

I ordered 2 of each and replaced the ends on both extension cords, they both lasted a whopping 24 days, are you kidding me?!?! I'm seriously beginning to lose my mind over this, I just want an extension cord that works. And I know its the extension cord, the breaker, wall outlet and TurboCord all test out fine.

Not sure what to say, but the second one is what we use as shorelines on our ambulances and firetrucks. We have auto-disconnects on most rigs, but they frequently don't work, and we pull out of the truck bay still connected, and the cord disconnects (yank...)as we are pulling out. They usually last for a year or two under those kind of conditions.

Have you ever measured the amp draw of your turbocord , if so what is it when your battery is at a lower state of charge? I take it your extension cord is at least 10 gauge? 12 gauge will support up to 20a but personally if your EVSE draws 20a continuous I'd be inclined to use 10 gauge.
Under maximum load if you unplug your EVSE handle and then the extension cord, is anything abnormally warm? If things were getting hot to the point of failure the ends might be discolored, if this is the case you need either heavier cords or a more robust end than a NEMA 6-20, maybe something like a L6-30.

I was just researching a wire gauge comparison chart. Is it possible that the 12/3 AWG wire is not enough to handle the power output for 50ft? Maybe a 10 AWG or even 8 AWG wire is needed?

jjeff said:
Have you ever measured the amp draw of your turbocord , if so what is it when your battery is at a lower state of charge? I take it your extension cord is at least 10 gauge? 12 gauge will support up to 20a but personally if your EVSE draws 20a continuous I'd be inclined to use 10 gauge.
Under maximum load if you unplug your EVSE handle and then the extension cord, is anything abnormally warm? If things were getting hot to the point of failure the ends might be discolored, if this is the case you need either heavier cords or a more robust end than a NEMA 6-20, maybe something like a L6-30.

That's a great point about the 12 gauge not being sufficient. I posted my last comment at the same time you did asking about this. I never noticed anything getting really hot, and I've unplugged mid charge at varying percent levels before. And there is no discoloration that I can see.

kevintylernelson said:
I was just researching a wire gauge comparison chart. Is it possible that the 12/3 AWG wire is not enough to handle the power output for 50ft? Maybe a 10 AWG or even 8 AWG wire is needed?
Again if your drawing close to 20a I'd really be thinking about 10 gauge wire. A 10 gauge extension cord is much harder to fine, they make them but they are meant more for RVs or maybe generators. As long as you have the ends and if you don't think they are the issue then it might be cheaper to just purchase some raw 10-2 w/ground rubber cord, otherwise I believe a 50' 10 gauge extension cord with 120v ends(albeit 20a ends) are ~$50 on sale.

I can't believe the prices on Amazon for a 10 guage 50' extension cord :shock: close to $100, I'm pretty sure the last one I purchased wasn't much over $50 at a Midwestern home improvement store(Menards).
Amazon does have a 50' 30a 10 gauge 2 wire w/ground black extension cord with the odd TT30 ends which again you could cut off and install your own ends, it's currently priced ~$69 Note it says "rated for 125v but I believe thats talking more about the 120v ends and not the actual cable.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55197-PowerGrip-Extension-Cord/dp/B004809YBE/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1454463890&sr=1-3&keywords=30a+extension+cord
Again it might just be cheaper to purchase the raw 10g cable, you'd have to check.

jjeff said:
I can't believe the prices on Amazon for a 10 guage 50' extension cord :shock: close to $100, I'm pretty sure the last one I purchased wasn't much over $50 at a Midwestern home improvement store(Menards).

You're telling me! I paid $97 (including shipping) for my last 50' extension cord and that was only 12 gauge.

I did find a site called StayOnline that offers bulk cabling rated at 600V, 10 gauge is about $1.25/ft and 8 gauge is only about $0.50 more. I could just overkill it and go with 8 gauge:

http://www.stayonline.com/bulk-cord-config.aspx

smkettner said:
kevintylernelson said:
the TurboCord would throw an error code.
So what is the error code? What did Turbocord say?

The box makes a series of clicking sounds and the indicator light stays a solid blue & red. This is supposed to indicate "Charger trying to resolve internal error". When I called the manufacture they immediately ask if its being used with an extension cord because that is not supported. So of course I tell them that it's not and they suggested that it was a either the breaker or receptacle. But like I've said, it always works with a new replacement extension cord, so I do not believe the TurboCord is at fault.

These EVSE companies DO NOT seem to realize that not everyone lives in a single family home with a driveway or garage and need longer cables.

Firetruck41 said:
Have you assessed or reconnected the connectors to the cable?

No, not yet. I didn't have a chance today, but if it's anything like the old terminal ends, there was no visible issues.

Seems like a EVSE issue. Does not like the cord. I assume the cord has never been run over or damaged. Can you shorten it a bit?

On a temporary basis I have used 100' of #12 extension with my EVSEupgrade and it has always worked.
Never used for months at a time however. L6-20 connectors. But your Hubbell connectors are premium and should not be an issue. Could it be the outlet?

I would check resistance for each conductor and between each conductor before I disassembled or repaired the cord.

Just some random thoughts, good luck.

smkettner said:
Seems like a EVSE issue. Does not like the cord. I assume the cord has never been run over or damaged. Can you shorten it a bit?

On a temporary basis I have used 100' of #12 extension with my EVSEupgrade and it has always worked.
Never used for months at a time however. L6-20 connectors. But your Hubbell connectors are premium and should not be an issue. Could it be the outlet?

I would check resistance for each conductor and between each conductor before I disassembled or repaired the cord.

Just some random thoughts, good luck.

Thanks for your input! I was thinking the same thing about the receptacle after the 2nd extension cord failed. So just to make absolutely sure that it wasn't anything with the receptacle or breakers, I paid an electrician to come and perform a complete inspection of everything. $200 later, he assured me that everything was fine.

My alternative setup right now is using the stock EVSE and my 100' 10 gauge 110V extension cord. This cord has never given me any problems, I also use it for my electric snowblower. Of course it's not a complete comparison since its only outputting 110V and not 240V, but it seems like the 10 gauge may be the key to this issue.

It's possible that your getting a voltage drop on your extension cord that puts the voltage at the TurboCord below a threshold that triggers your error code. Again you should really measure the amp draw to see what were talking about. If it's approaching 20a I'd really think about a 10 gauge cord. If you don't have a amp gauge maybe you'd have a voltmeter, measure the voltage into the TurboCord when it's in full charge mode(not near battery almost full time when amp draw may be less). If the voltage drops much below 110v(assuming it was close to 120v at your outlet) again it points to an undersized extension cord.
From your listed price of cable/foot I'd think you'd be better off looking at maybe Harbor Freight?? for a decent 10 gauge cold weather(if that matters in your location) 120v extension cord and simply cut off the ends and install your own 240v ends. That or the10 gauge cord I linked at amazon with the TT-30 ends, remove the ends and install your own 240v ends. Personally I wouldn't be worried that the listing says 120v, again I believe that is mainly talking about the TT-30 ends and not the cord, besides 240v in N. America is really just 120v on two legs, IOW it's not really a single leg of 240v but rather 2 120v legs that between them is 240v, if that makes sense.
Good luck!

kevintylernelson said:
smkettner said:
My alternative setup right now is using the stock EVSE and my 100' 10 gauge 110V extension cord. This cord has never given me any problems, I also use it for my electric snowblower. Of course it's not a complete comparison since its only outputting 110V and not 240V, but it seems like the 10 gauge may be the key to this issue.

The amperage rating of the cord is independent of the voltage afaik.

I too have a 10-gauge 100 foot extension cord. It was expensive but better than burning out my hedge-cutter and weed whacker every year due to voltage drop and of course they perform better too. I think 12-gauge is marginal for continuous 20 amp load at 50 feet. May explain why it works for a while.... My guess would be that the connections where the conductors terminate get hot and eventually develop enough resistance to fail the evse's startup test. 10 gauge can carry more current and also pull a lot more heat away from the hot spots.

FWIW, it's not that EVSE manufacturers don't know that everyone doesn't have a conveniently located outlet. It's just that an extension cord defeats some of the safety intent of the EVSE.

If I understood correctly you have EVSE device near the house and you extend the cable between EVSE and vehicle?
If so then most likely the problem is with either proximity or control pilot signals.
Those are not high voltage. It means that on longer runs voltage drop is noticeable and resistance is also different.
If EVSE detects anomaly it will not activate high voltage lines. Some EVSE's might be less sensitive to those
changes some may be more sensitive.

The correct way is to install EVSE box near the vehicle and run 240V cable between house and EVSE.

Back