Question about 'free' charging locations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatrabbit

Hi All. In the ChargePoint app there are lots of free-to-use charging stations. Many of them, though, are at various car dealerships. Have any of you driven into a dealership other than Nissan to use the free charger? I'm wondering if, say, VW or Fiat would allow a Leaf driver to pull in & charge up their car, of if they are only available to their own brand of cars.

hatrabbit said:
Hi All. In the ChargePoint app there are lots of free-to-use charging stations. Many of them, though, are at various car dealerships. Have any of you driven into a dealership other than Nissan to use the free charger? I'm wondering if, say, VW or Fiat would allow a Leaf driver to pull in & charge up their car, of if they are only available to their own brand of cars.

Never tried it personally but have read mixed outcome. Some dealers are ok with it whereas some frown upon it. To play it safe you can ask them before you plug in (at least the very first time).

If it's a Chargepoint branded station, they are SUPPOSED to allow any users. However YMMV.

I've been told by the local BMW dealer that they couldn't unplug their i3's from the station because they needed to charge, even though both were full. The next time, one of the management actually moved an i3 so I could charge and then we chatted for about 30 minutes about the future of EV's

AlanSqB said:
If it's a Chargepoint branded station, they are SUPPOSED to allow any users. However YMMV.

I've been told by the local BMW dealer that they couldn't unplug their i3's from the station because they needed to charge, even though both were full. The next time, one of the management actually moved an i3 so I could charge and then we chatted for about 30 minutes about the future of EV's

The BMW dealers here tell other EV's get lost, there are a few other EV dealer/rentals that seem confide when you ask to charge...if they don't carry leaf they say, connection doesn't fit...i guess I'll use a left handed screw driver to help.

Dealers should be presumed sleazy and unhelpful until proven otherwise, and I generally don't feel like being the one to prove it. I avoid all the dealer stations in Plugshare... I wish they had a separate filter flag for them.

Back