My Leaf got a STD!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightmb

Station Transmitted Dirt, or STD for short, happened when I plugged in from an unfamiliar charging station. Car didn't make the usual beep when plugging in (had not started charge session yet) and even after starting the charge session, nothing happened. Took the plug out and noticed the inside of my car outlet was nasty. It seems someone left the charge plug face down in some mud and then put it back up on the holder. You can imagine the fun I had cleaning that out at home.

Lesson to everyone, always make sure you check the plug before inserting it into your car, especially when you don't know where that plug has been or how many other cars it has been with before you arrived. Help keep your vehicle from experiencing what mine did. :shock:

I will always do a visual on any J1772 connector and cord that is publicly used. So far I have found gum, dirt ,water and several cut cords (vandalism). It is wise to check the little insulating ring is in place ( midway in the connector) as it will jam when trying to plug into car port. Also check the locking latch works or you may be disconnected before charging is accomplished , IIRC Tesla,s wont charge without it ( unable to lock the Tesla J1772 adaptor onto the cord).

Back