120v to 240v EVSE help

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fopoku2k2

I am thinking of shipping my american 2013 nissan leaf to africa. can the standard EVSE that comes with the car be plugged into a 240v 30a mains or household socket??

fopoku2k2 said:
I am thinking of shipping my American 2013 Nissan leaf to Africa. can the standard EVSE that comes with the car be plugged into a 240v 30a mains or household socket??

Only if you send it to evseupgrade.com and have them upgrade it first.

Plugging the unupgraded stock evse in to 240v will just release the magic smoke.

dhanson865 said:
fopoku2k2 said:
I am thinking of shipping my American 2013 Nissan leaf to Africa. can the standard EVSE that comes with the car be plugged into a 240v 30a mains or household socket??

Plugging the unupgraded stock evse in to 240v will just release the magic smoke.

Ooh ok. Cool thanks. Looks like it would cost me over $300 to upgrade. Any chance I can do the upgrade myself?

Since you ask.... probably not something to do yourself.

Africa is a big place. What outlet will you have exactly? May as well just buy the proper EVSE.
I can't imagine someone shipping a vehicle to Africa is concerned about a few hundred $$ to charge the vehicle.

fopoku2k2 said:
dhanson865 said:
fopoku2k2 said:

Ooh ok. Cool thanks. Looks like it would cost me over $300 to upgrade. Any chance I can do the upgrade myself?

If you are an EE or some other sort of engineer you could do it. You can order parts and build an openEVSE without going the evseupgrade route but it'll still be a couple of hundred dollars for parts even if you can do the labor.

If anything about soldering or installing electrical parts on a circuit board seems out of the ordinary to you then just punt and pay someone to do it. It's not user serviceable.

Back