Turbocord help

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyyuan

Dear all:

I bought a 240/120 turbocord on amazon about 2 weeks ago, have been using the 120 portion just fine.
Just last friday, I had an electrician come by to install the 240v NEMA6-L20 plug for my house.

Everything is good, except now when I use the turbocord on this 240v outlet, my apps (both Nissan's offcial one and Leaf Link) say it's on trickle charging.

Is there a hidden switch on the turbocord i need to flip in order to do L2 charging?

I also tried it on a Prius Plugin, and their app says the same. (2+ hrs for full charge instead of 1.5 hrs)

Is this something I should take up with turbocord's manufacture or did the electrician missed something?

Thanks!

Agreed. Get out a voltmeter, set it to AC and see if you can get 240(ish) V by probing any of the pins on there. If not, then the electrician messed up the wiring.

If you aren't familiar with test a 240 volt circuit: you will get 120 volts between either hot and the ground, but should get 240 volts between the two hots. Let us know what you learn.

The electrician came back and installed a double breaker instead of the single one he had put in earlier.

He tested with the voltmeter and confirmed it is now at 245volts or so.

I'll charge the car tonight to make sure it's all good.

Thanks for all the help!

mwalsh said:
dyyuan said:
The electrician came back and installed a double breaker instead of the single one he had put in earlier.
WOW! This was a real, licensed, professional electrician? :shock:
My thoughts exactly! How did he install a NEMA 6 socket without a double breaker and say, "Yep, my job here is done" and walk away? I'd never let that guy touch anything electrical in my house again.

I found him on taskrabbit...not cheap, $125 per hr...

He said he's licensed, insured, and bonded...of course I didn't exactly ask him to show me his credentials...

At least he came back to fix his mistake at no charge : )

Thanks all!

Both of the NEMA 14-30 outlets (one for my dryer, one for my car) were wired incorrectly on a brand new home. (He wired up the two hots and the ground, but not the neutral.) I can't understand how these electricians are certified!

Back